• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Vaernus

Vaernus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
First off, I want to thank Dark0ne and Nexus for setting up a WFTO Nexus site. We are greatly appreciative, and see this as the start of a great community for WFTO modders, fans, and newcomers alike. With Dungeoneer, we are looking at a toolkit that is dictated and directed by you. As such, let us begin with the first order of business, and that is supported file formats in Dungeoneer.

The biggest goal with Dungeoneer is easily supporting any type of file format from a wide range of asset tools. As such, we have been building in file formats that most tools support, and need your help to ensure we have all the file formats most modders are using covered. All formats below allow you to import (to integrate into the compressed and optimized version used ingame) and export (to update the asset and reimport later).

Dungeoneer currently supports:
  • Meshes: FBX format (Will add OBJ support, and Collada if there are no major issues with output from modeling programs)
  • Textures: TGA format (Will add PNG and JPG support)
  • Audio: WAV format (Will add OGG and MP3 support)
  • Scripts: C#, JavaScript, and Boo formats
  • Shaders: Unity Surface Shaders, Cg, and HLSL formats (http://docs.unity3d....al/Shaders.html)

Beyond what we currently support in the initial release of Dungeoneer coming soon, what other formats do we need to support?

Edited by Vaernus, 05 December 2012 - 02:53 PM.

NaGeL182

NaGeL182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Two questions:

You listed C#, javascript, and Boo for scripting...

this means that i can choose one and just write my mod in that, or i need to use all three? For example a complete overhaul?

Second noe you said it only support FBX format for the meshes right, so you can only do meshes in Autodesk's 3dsmax or maya?
What about blender? I'm learning 3D modelling in that.

Vaernus

Vaernus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Two questions:

You listed C#, javascript, and Boo for scripting...

this means that i can choose one and just write my mod in that, or i need to use all three? For example a complete overhaul?

Second noe you said it only support FBX format for the meshes right, so you can only do meshes in Autodesk's 3dsmax or maya?
What about blender? I'm learning 3D modelling in that.

You can use any of those to script and they will work (though we will need to look more into Javascript and Boo to see the best way to hook them in, as we already have a process for C#).

From what we've gotten from a few modelers in the team using Blender, it looks like we'd need a custom importer/exporter for FBX to support Blender. Beyond that, what format would you prefer for Blender support? OBJ?

NaGeL182

NaGeL182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

You can use any of those to script and they will work (though we will need to look more into Javascript and Boo to see the best way to hook them in, as we already have a process for C#).

From what we've gotten from a few modelers in the team using Blender, it looks like we'd need a custom importer/exporter for FBX to support Blender. Beyond that, what format would you prefer for Blender support? OBJ?

I haven't used Blender too much I'm just learning it, and i didn't export much, but OBJ and and Collada(.dae) would be ideal, because both are opensource and any 3D modeling program can use it.
And if i can believe Wikipedia Unity supports Collada.

Vaernus

Vaernus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
We can definitely add OBJ support. And Unity does support Collada, but there have been some issues with regards to a unified exporter across all modeling programs. If we can get it 100% on Dungeoneer side, we should be fine to support both. Updating original post.

NaGeL182

NaGeL182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Also another thing:

How about support for mp3? the most widespread aduio format?
or ogg? that is Open source to my knowledge, while Wav is mostly just windows, and kinda has a bad compression to my knowledge.

Vaernus

Vaernus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
We can add support for those, sure. Big thing with the current Dungeoneer support is that it's what is needed for development. Game wise, you really don't want to be using any lossy file format. But to make it easier to mod, having those file types supported can only help make it easier for everyone to use the toolkit. :)

NaGeL182

NaGeL182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
well if you want a lossless typeformat that is widespread than use FLAC.
but those audio files are HUGE.

thefinn

thefinn

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,253 posts
Is there any documentation on dungeoneer ?

Googling brings me back here, so here I shall ask ;)

NaGeL182

NaGeL182

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
None yet. it isn't even out.

Page loaded in: 0.936 seconds