Is it normal for two mods to have completely different download speeds?

aewarrick

Hey guys, relatively new to Nexus. Bought premium so that I have unlimited download speeds. Here's where my question begins: Is it normal for two different mods to have very different download speeds? I was grabbing some skyrim mods, and currently both the Static Mesh Improvement Mod and Skyrim HD 2k are downloading at under 100kb/s. If I start another download, for example the Eyes of Beauty Mod, it will download at over 1mbps and finish within a minute. Whats up with this? Is it a problem on my end or just a server issue? Sorry if this is a common question, I couldn't find something exactly like this on the forum.

EDIT: Looks like the problem solved itself eventually. could have been a server load issue or something? not sure.

Hey guys, relatively new to Nexus. Bought premium so that I have unlimited download speeds. Here's where my question begins: Is it normal for two different mods to have very different download speeds? I was grabbing some skyrim mods, and currently both the Static Mesh Improvement Mod and Skyrim HD 2k are downloading at under 100kb/s. If I start another download, for example the Eyes of Beauty Mod, it will download at over 1mbps and finish within a minute. Whats up with this? Is it a problem on my end or just a server issue? Sorry if this is a common question, I couldn't find something exactly like this on the forum.

EDIT: Looks like the problem solved itself eventually. could have been a server load issue or something? not sure.

On top of buying Premium, better also have a look around the different fora so you know what to post where (and read the stickies about what NOT to post somewhere). To get to the Skyrim SE fora, hit the game's link so you end up at the SSE mods pages and then hit the "Community" Button top middle of the Nexus interface.

As far as speeds go, the behaviour can be quite different, especially when downloading large files (like the SMIM one) compared to smaller files. You have to know that this is (still) a major flaw in most operating systems, as, regardless of the size of a file, the OS will try to download the whole chunk in one go, which is the same as trying to wring an elephant through a mouse hole. That's why BitTorrents were 'invented' so that large files can be chopped into smaller parts so that distribution goes much easier and faster. So, yeah, the download of bigger files can go slower because it also puts more strain on the server containing the data you're after.

Welcome to the Nexus site :wink: