Coronavirus - Is there a silver lining?

MrJoseCuervo

As the world descends into panic and mayhem over the Coronavirus, it gives us an opportunity to fix some short sighted policies and practices that weaken us.

Production Diversity - We cannot continue outsource our world production of Antibiotics and other vital pharmaceuticals, Electronics and components to China. China itself cannot be trusted to deliver quality goods and are in fact an enemy of the free world (the Government not the people). The west has sacrificed economic security and the health of their people for short term gains. This cannot continue.

Globalization - The idea of globalization needs to die. Diversity is not a strength but weakens us. Just look at Europe. They have been on a steady decline as the EU experiment continues to fail them miserably. Terrorism, Disease and economic down turn are the fruits of the EU. It has failed and must be abandoned.

Self Reliance - Every nation must be prepared to become completely self reliant if needed. For some this may not be possible, however the closer to this goal they can attain the better off they will be. This includes military self reliance. The US cannot and should not be put into the position of being the world police.

Other than the the realizations I listed do you see a silver lining to the ongoing pandemic?

Stay healthy friends.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read up on the Spanish Flu pandemic. 1918. More people died of it than during the entire first world war. Viri don't care where the economic powers are situated, nor about who is a threat to whatever ideology is prevalent. Viri infect and eventually kill. The silver lining is that it will end one day. Either because there's no more people left to infect or because a vaccin has been developed.

I agree with Jose. But, I really don't expect anything to change because of the pandemic. There will be some short term problems, until the virus is properly addressed, we will likely see shortages of some products, and it may even get to the point of rationing, depending on how long the crisis lasts.... but, in the end, this too shall pass. And when it does, we will go right back to the same 'globalized' economy, as that makes the CEO's and politicians the most money, RIGHT NOW! And that is all that is important to them.

Now, unless this crisis lasts a couple years, don't expect anything to change.

Worst Case: We all die

"Best" Case: Its a nothing burger, the machine lives.

Probable Case: It disrupts enough of the status quo that people are forced to wake up in mass due to supply shortages, but unless catastrophic system wide failure results, and/or the petrodollar finally breaks, the future will be as depressing as it looked come the 2024 election, even if Trump wins 2020. You can't fix 30+ years of unaddressed issues in 8 years or less, not with the currant ratio of few problem solvers to the mass of problem creators.

Worst Case: We all die

"Best" Case: Its a nothing burger, the machine lives.

Probable Case: It disrupts enough of the status quo that people are forced to wake up in mass due to supply shortages, but unless catastrophic system wide failure results, and/or the petrodollar finally breaks, the future will be as depressing as it looked come the 2024 election, even if Trump wins 2020. You can't fix 30+ years of unaddressed issues in 8 years or less, not with the currant ratio of few problem solvers to the mass of problem creators.

Government isn't in the business of solving problems in any event. They specialize in stop-gap measures, and treating the symptoms. After all, if they actually SOLVED a problem, they wouldn't be able to milk it for political points, and huge piles of money.

Hopefully...

- Some review on company sick-leave or supply chains and greater interest in keeping CDC and other agencies funded.

- Planet has a chance to catch its breath due to factories and air pollution diminishing because of decrease in human activity. Might be a wake-up call to look to cleaner industry.

- People have the cleanest buttholes they've ever had after buying bidets and using up the surplus toilet paper that is occupying a large part of their living room and isn't worth much else since it is produced locally.

- The obsessive use of hand sanitizer, sprays, wipes, ect helps keep other germs at bay.

- After a month of mostly-isolation and people staring at their phones, or sitting around with Netflix/games, people get cabin fever and renounce social media for a few months.

- People who work in utilities, healthcare, and distribution get more recognition for keeping things running.

I might agree with your words, but I can't understand how each Country could agree to have a completely independent army. Empires and Tributary Countries did always exist, and they will continue to exist. There will always be a very powerful Country (Empire) and the nearest Countries will actually look for a strong bound with it (submission of Tributary Countries).

Domination and Submission are part of the human behavior. They are still here, but now it's a silent war based on dominant and growing economies

I wondered why a clerk was staring at me with an odd look on her face as I left the grocery store. I had a goober about to dangle from inside my nose. Everyone is eyeballing the other people and it probably seemed like the size of an October festival pumpkin the Headless Horseman was about to throw at Ichabod Crane and explode to someone worried about someone sneezing and getting snot all over the place.

I looked in the car mirror when I was inside and grabbed a kleenex to get rid of it before I went into public again.

I'll bet there will be a lot less people calling in Sick when they just want to get a day off when the weather is good for something they would like to have some time to enjoy. No more having to call a dozen other people to find an immediate replacement that day when someone doesn't have Sick Days left.

Governor of Michigan closed all bars, cafes, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. today. Take out food only. (so, my guess is, drive-thrus will still be open, for places that have 'em.)

This is going to take a serious bite out of the economy. A lot of those folks, if they don't work, they don't get paid..... and this could last for weeks...... How many of the paycheck-to-paycheck crowd do you think will be able to pay their bills for weeks, without any income? Are we going to see a host of foreclosures next? Is real estate going to crash again? (time to move???)

Governor of Michigan closed all bars, cafes, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. today. Take out food only. (so, my guess is, drive-thrus will still be open, for places that have 'em.)

This is going to take a serious bite out of the economy. A lot of those folks, if they don't work, they don't get paid..... and this could last for weeks...... How many of the paycheck-to-paycheck crowd do you think will be able to pay their bills for weeks, without any income? Are we going to see a host of foreclosures next? Is real estate going to crash again? (time to move???)

But move where Hey?? The paycheck to paycheck crowd are world wide (well as world wide as where there is something you could call a paycheck). Where we have rich people we must have paycheck to paycheck people (the system is built on it).

I think Paga was on the only right track when he was looking for a small plot of fertile soil that wasn't too close to the rest of humanity.