Coronavirus - Is there a silver lining?

MrJoseCuervo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not bring up diversity, you did.

Diversity is not a strength but weakens us.

And be careful with the Anti Facist rhetoric, lest someone think you were a member of Antifa.

Indeed I did. I should reread this thread.

Everyone should be Antifascist. Antifa however are not. They are fascists.

I did not bring up diversity, you did.

Diversity is not a strength but weakens us.

And be careful with the Anti Facist rhetoric, lest someone think you were a member of Antifa.

Indeed I did. I should reread this thread.

Everyone should be Antifascist. Antifa however are not. They are fascists.

Antifa is an abbreviated form for Anti-fascist or Anti-fascism, depending on who you ask. In either case, ANTIFA doesn't really exist except as an idea. It has no organization, and is basically an banana leaf which covers a lot of organizations.

Sources: https://patch.com/us/across-america/what-antifa-5-things-know-movement and https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/what-is-antifa-trump-terrorist-designation

The major reason a lot of the resources we need for our industrial sector are scarce here, is because our government has made it unprofitable to produce them. We have plenty of rare earth minerals here in the US, but, the EPA has regulated them out of existence.

The major reason a lot of the resources we need for our industrial sector are scarce here, is because our government has made it unprofitable to produce them. We have plenty of rare earth minerals here in the US, but, the EPA has regulated them out of existence.

A large portion of the EPA regulations for environmental protections have been rolled back or eliminated in the past couple of years, making mineral, coal and oil exploitation pretty much wide open. Further, the US Department of the Interior and it's Bureau of Land Management was given a tonne of public lands reclaimed from eliminated National Parks, National Forests and National Monuments, which DOI and BLM then sold to private mining companies for exploitation. So is that old, tired, "but the government and the EPA won't let me ...", argument still valid?

Edited by Guest

A large portion of the EPA regulations for environmental protections have been rolled back or eliminated in the past couple of years, making mineral, coal and oil exploitation pretty much wide open. Further, the US Department of the Interior and it's Bureau of Land Management was given a tonne of public lands reclaimed from eliminated National Parks, National Forests and National Monuments, which DOI and BLM then sold to private mining companies for exploitation. So is that old, tired, "but the government and the EPA won't let me ...", argument still valid?

Currently. Yes. It is. Various companies may now own mining rights to what was once public land, but, so far as I have been able to determine, no one is exploiting that, as yet. It's still cheaper/easier to source those materials from China..... (who is one of the VERY few producers of such.....) At one point, china was making noises about dramatically reducing exports of those materials, but, so far, they haven't gotten as tight as they were at first considering. So, so long as getting them from China is cheaper than producing them here at home, no one is going to bother producing them here.

And it isn't such "The EPA won't let me." as it is "The EPA has made it too expensive to be profitable."

Edited by HeyYou

Currently. Yes. It is. Various companies may now own mining rights to what was once public land, but, so far as I have been able to determine, no one is exploiting that, as yet. It's still cheaper/easier to source those materials from China..... (who is one of the VERY few producers of such.....) At one point, china was making noises about dramatically reducing exports of those materials, but, so far, they haven't gotten as tight as they were at first considering. So, so long as getting them from China is cheaper than producing them here at home, no one is going to bother producing them here.

And it isn't such "The EPA won't let me." as it is "The EPA has made it too expensive to be profitable."

The EPA and their regulations have been eliminated or reduced to the point of almost non-existent, so how is it that the EPA is still impacting the exploitation of minerals, coal, oil, an other natural resources?

The EPA and their regulations have been eliminated or reduced to the point of almost non-existent, so how is it that the EPA is still impacting the exploitation of minerals, coal, oil, an other natural resources?

Attributing all the problems to the intervention of the state in the economy is an integral part of the right-wing/fascist communication.

What we can essentially observe is when China will run out of the resources the american companies exploit these companies will have all latitude to sell those available in the USA for a very high price playing on the imbalance between the offer and the demand. In exchange of its complicity the state will receive a lot of electoral financing and commission/bribes.

In a country with a big number of parties that would all have the same financing (something neither the right-wing/fascists nor the marxist-leninists never offered) and if none could cumulate a political and an economical power (another thing neither the right-wing/fascists nor the marxist-leninists never offered either) these problems of corruption and clientelism would not exist.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

That goes back to the whole "cheaper to buy it somewhere else, than produce it at home." And while some of the regulations have been rolled back, not all of them have.

That goes back to the whole "cheaper to buy it somewhere else, than produce it at home." And while some of the regulations have been rolled back, not all of them have.

As I understand your position:

• It's cheaper to buy raw materials elsewhere because it costs too much to produce at home.
  • It costs too much to mine and process the raw materials at home because of government interference.
  • When the government interference is eliminated, It's still cheaper to buy the raw materials elsewhere.

So the government regulations and their impact on production costs are not the driving force when it comes to purchasing raw materials off shore.