FO3 Horror Mod (Point Lookout)

Karunavai

Hello fellow creators. i just stumbled across an idea in my head about a possible horror mod for FO3 Point Lookout.
The idea is a scripted horror quest adventure in Halloween / wrong turn / texas chainsaw massacre / the hills have eyes style.
(we all have seen atleast a couple of movies which deliver such an experience^^) for games take Resident evil biohazard and outlast as reference.
a small swamp worldspace with a big old rotten mansion. the player starts without weapons and only a basic outfit.
(kinda like sierra madre dlc for fnv or the pitt from fo3 ...got knocked down and dragged somewere)
player cant leave the area and have to survive alot scripted events (OP redneck mutant enemies) to get out of this nightmare alive.
To be clear i dont want a simple run with your gun through alot of vanilla enemies and loot everything experience.
i want one small area with one weird incest mutant family which tries to make your day a living hell.
we have all the assets we need like hanging corpses / hanging dolls / redneck mutants / disgusting shacks
/ swamp environment / moonshine / double barrel shotguns / fire axes and all that stuff. pretty perfect for something like that if you ask me :wink:
i'm experienced enough to create the worldspace / cells / use and edit the NPCs.
the only problem i have is in all these years of modding and creating mods ive never touched questing and scripting.
its a shame nobody did that till now. this idea is stuck in my head and i would love to work on it.
but its worthless to start something ambitious like this without someone who can take care of the queststages and scripts.
this mod will need atleast some new voice acting but thats a problem for another day.
i can take care of the sound and music aswell. except a script needs to trigger a sound effect^^
so if you have ideas / tutorials / hints or even want to work with me then send me a PM or comment.
even if you just want to discuss ideas about the characters / queststages and story.
i wish you all a very nice crash free day.

f3pl_20090604_03.jpg

Karunavai <3

Good at creating world spaces eh ? Not that I can't do it myself , but I've got a mod idea I'm working on that needs lots of new real estate . I'd be up for some tit for tat modding Co-op .

Are you exclusively Fo3 , or do you have FNV also ? Not that it's a problem if you are.

But my Idea is RTS battle arena's , to simulate StarCraft game play. Which Fo3 looks to be the better of the 2 engines/assets on this account. But the FNV map has a bunch of open space around the edges.

Anyways ... I'm not the best with scripting , but so far doesn't sound to difficult and right up my alley for the kind of stuff I like to mod. :laugh:

For a mention when handing me a piece of the story idea you want to see render in some space you created.

It helps to write it in a screenplay type format so to speak ... basically what the player will see from A to B to C kind of thing. Helps with plucking the pieces out to line them up for render , rather than I get side tracked with what the possibilities are and maybe way off base of your vision. Not a hard and fast rule , but after a few scenes you get the idea / and me too.

Hey thx for your comment. i'm modding and work on my own mods for all Fallout and elderscrolls games. ;)
so FNV work will be no problem. so if you talk about battle arenas you think about the fo3 point lookout arena in the north east or the pitt arena or the thorn in FNV right?
creating and decorating such a cell is no problem i think. so we propably can trade some experience and work.
the scripts i need are very basic yes...atleast in my mind. just the classics like you open a door in the mansion and (JUMPSCARE) there is one of the big mutated fellas.
if he get you you will die instantly...he will walk / run in players direction...so the player starts to run away to the next room. (the mutant wont follow there)
scripted jumpscares might be bad excuses in movies but work flawless in horror games. and since i dont want a run and gun experience this is a simple solution for low blood pressure ^^.
at the moment i have no direct story in my head except mutated hillbillys in a big mansion + swamp surroundings try to kill the player.
i will need to write some stuff down within the next days atleast so we can see were it goes. (i'm always open for ideas and i sure will credit you if it comes to shared work)
i will need some more information about the arena concept too...from style to used NPCs.

Coolies ... we be jambin ... ya got the world spaces already (navmesh anAll ?)

I've gota finish up on sumthin first. But could start looking at your mod with the geck soon.

No worries on jumping into world building for me though ... we'll just take that a bit slower 1 step at a time.

Meanwhile focus on yours.

But no , what you think of as arena in this game is not what I'm meaning. Just using the term to describe that it is something outside the regular game play , and defining some borders for an area to make it happen.

Look up StarCraft game play if you want to know the concept ... which then gets transformed into this engine. So obviously different.

StarCraft 1 or 2 ... they are pretty much the same for game play. But the original is my favorite :smile: And hoping to add the Kerrigan character from the Brood War expansion of SC1

no the i just started with the worldspace and collected ressources. this project is still just in my head.
i didnt want to start an ambitious project without knowing if the quests and scripts can be done somehow.
i agree with do it slow. no rushing... i will keep up the progress and tell you how far i am.
I will look up these games to get an impression.

Ya no rush to think about my stuff. Ummm but then I realized you are re-using point look out world space ?

So you just duplicating , then stripping it of the stuff that refers to the point lookout dlc ?

If you didn't know already ... using Fo3-edit would make it easy when stripping it.

But you should be able to keep the navmesh ??? not sure ... :confused:

Maybe you know all that better than me ... but if you need some help getting the world space ready ... let me know. I imagine you'll be making all your own interior cells though ?

Or even duplicating some of them / same as the world space ?

• 2 months later...

Just stumbled across this and had to chime in, maybe give you a story-hook to get started - hope you guys read it eventually:

If you do this, please include the Necronomicon-Book. Don't care if it's from an existing mod (there's one with great looking bookskin by goghiel) or if you do your own thing, but Bethesda botched this for all fans of the genre who know Lovecraft. They alluded to it with the Krivbeknih thing, but didn't carry through. If you do a real Horror-mod it would be the perfect place to include it. Just my 5 cents though^^. I like a good scare, so I'm looking forward to the finished work, with or without book, so please - keep it up fellas!

• 2 weeks later...

I feaking luv the necrinomicon . Thanks for the mention and interest.

LoveCraft an awesome story premise. I get the impression Karunavai might think that is a good addition.

Presently they are creating the ground/navmesh that npc's will walk upon. So probably not a high priority with them. Me myself is here just to talk smak. Untill they give me something to mod.