Coronavirus Mod - Good or Bad Idea?

TheGhostFollows

I have a Coronavirus mod ready to go, but I wanted to get a general idea of what people think about it before/if I release it. Is it too soon? Is it too insensitive? Does anyone hate/love the idea? Why?

It's mostly as a joke, hopefully to lighten the current mood. It's not meant to offend, but nowadays that seems to happen no matter what.

In the mod, the virus can be contracted in any major city or gathering area (1-in-5 chance) and the player develops a cough as well as health regen detriment of -1.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to release this without realizing the full repercussions.

I find it a little distasteful, that's all. I don't want to have to justify that statement or otherwise explain, and I really doubt that in this day and age that my moral foundation is representative of the norm. Which is why I did a "nvm" edit to what I originally wrote, which was a much longer treatment, and upon re-reading, felt to me like I was or might be taken to be stealth preaching.

I would say too soon personally. Maybe you could give your mod / disease a different name to ward off those who would be immediately offended without bothering to read further to understand you intentions. And that may be something you should consider, writing a brief paragraph within your documentation explaining why you created and are sharing the mod.

I wrote a quest once involving Vilja and a few companions from Interesting NPCs finding a cure for an outbreak of Collywobbles that has overtaken Riften. Fortunately the world was not facing a concurrent outbreak of Collywobbles. If it was, I would have chosen Dropsey or Ataxia.

I think it's kind of distasteful and kind of brilliant at the same time. If you leave it as a "coronavirus" mod, you just look like a tool looking to garner some rep points by using the topic of the day. That's tacky and distasteful.

But a PLAGUE mod as a concept is a pretty cool idea, and it's something that has not been explored much in Skyrim, aside from th Peryite quest maybe. You could really take this thing places if you do it in a lore-friendly and well-implemented fashion.

You could build a questline around the infection mechanic. You could have a disease progression, maybe ranging from odd behaviors in the infected, like sleepwalking at night and clustering around light sources, to full on zombie-like aggression and hunting behaviors.

Important NPCs could then have some of the more minor disease effects (and be curable), and you could add generic NPCs exhibiting the more severe/incurable symptoms. this way you wouldn't compromise other questlines by killing major NPCs, but you could still demonstrate the impact of the plague.

Anyways, I for one would be interested in something like this if it is well done.

It's funny how people complain about that coronavirus mod that was removed. It's just a virus people. it's just dark humor. But the brigade apparently pushed to get the mod removed. Comedians joke about AIDs, cancer and such and where's the outcry from these people? People still die from both but lips are sealed on that when jokes are being made.

Corona is part of the cold/flu virus family and isn't deadlier than those, except that against other viri of the family we have developed a resitance over the ages and most mutations are small enough so that we can take regular medication against it or get vaccinated if it's the flu.

So, as such, making a mod that has the possible spread of the Corona virus is neither 'good' or 'bad'. It's a mod that reflects certain aspects of real life. Not my taste, but it is what it is.

As a comparison, with the Spanish Flu that started in August 1918, 80 (eighty) million people died over the course of about eighteen months, on a total world population of one and a half billion people. In China, 8700 people have died to date since the virus broke out in December 2019, on a population of around one and a half billion Chinese, with no new cases in the last three weeks. So, we've had worse and there's no reason for all the panic mongering.

Anyway, the fact that you made this topic shows you yourself aren't exactly sure wether to post the mod or not. Well, when in doubt, don't publicise the mod. What is done can't be undone. But what hasn't been done can always be done later :wink: