GECK freeze when trying to edit Worldspace details

JohnnyCoffey

Yes it only appears when mod is loaded

Yes I am indeed talking about that "World - World spaces" dropbox

I have placed a door in there and connected it to the interior cell I have made. I can "coc" to that interior cell but when I try to use the door which should take me to my world space its not working at all... it keeps loading.

I have only edited landscape (manually), put objects in there (rocks, cliffs, trees, buildings...) and generated LODs

.bak doesnt help too.

I can send .esp - https://www.mediafire.com/file/2vx1387gibyzdg7/WorldSpace.esp/file
I am not including those few custom weapons since they were placed only in not-conflicting interior

aaTESTING is the name of inter
ior

Well the fix wasn't that obvious , and makes me wonder when you set the parent world space ?

But that is the problem , apparently a world space cannot have itself as a parent.

But anyways , the only way you can fix it is with Fo3-edit.

So load your file in that , but don't double click your file , just 1 click to select it , then click the OK button.

After it Loads , Open your file on the bottom ... then go to WorldSpace at bottom, and click on aaMyWorldSpace.

Look to the right window for the "Parent" section. And right click "aaMyWorldSpace" Edit

Say yes for warning. Then just delete all the text in the edit field , giving it a Null Reference.

Click the X in top right of Fo3-edit , and the OK at bottom pop up to save it.

Your done , and it will now work in Geck. Which the reason you could not open the "World / WorldSpace"

Was because it was first on the list with it's name.

I have to say I saw a few other problems ... like you probably don't want to use the placeable water , especially scaling it up by 5.0 .

So just notice what the z pos for those are ... then set the world space water that height.

Which I suggest switch the water to "Potomac" The default is to dark in my opinion.

You can also raise the water 1 cell at a time , if you don't want all the water in your world space at that height.

A strange thing I noticed though ... when I went to delete the placed water objects , it said they were in use with a rock canyon piece ... what's that about ?

Also you are using up an enormous amount of data space with all the surrounding cells , if you are not going to be using them for anything. Which I guess got created when you made a height map ? Which you really didn't need to do that for this little maps used area.

At first I thought that might be a problem , deleting all the unused sublocks that only had landscape in them.

Also I deleted the region record.

But after deleting all those unused cells , it brought the size of your file down to 850ishKB from 12.5 MB .

Anyways ... just a mention ... hope that helps ya :wink:

Oh, thats great it can be fixed <3

Well... this in my first world space mod so I am not surprised it have that many errors :)
Well since I was not able to edit worldspace I had to use placable water.... and use refraction to the objects with contact with water. Yes... silly :/

The landspace is indeed way bigger than it should be but I wasnt able to delete that too becuase of that crash issue.
Hah... not very good start with Fallout: Chicago project :(

I am gonna try that F03edit fix right now!
I will let you know if it worked Sir :)

I have also discovered that I cant see half of the map because of the render distance. Is there a way to increase it?

You mean in Geck ? No the geck will only render a 5x5 block of cells at a time.

Which is the same for the in game uGridsToLoad = 5 default.

Meaning only that amount of cells will load in game at anyone time.

That is why you have to put LOD into maps , so that you can see things at a farther distance.

You can increase the uGridsToLoad setting in your .ini files. But it takes more memory , and if you save while it is set. Your save cannot revert to a lower setting , only get bigger.

Which the settings have to be odd numbers. 5 gets you having 2 cells each side of the cell the player is in.

7 will get you 3 , 9 gets you 4 ... and so on.

I have only tried up to 11 .

Give it a try just for testing , but use a save you don't care about.

And set that setting in both of the .ini files for Fallout3

To delete the unused cells you have to do it in Fo3-edit also.

With your world space expanded , you will see blocks , which then have sub blocks.

Within those sub blocks you then see the individual cells.

Double check in geck what your cell coordinates are ... like notice what the largest number in either direction is.

Plus I noticed you named most of them , which will help. So maybe name all the cells immediately around it. But give it a 1 cell buffer of nothing in the cell.

Then in Fo3 edit , when you open a sub block , and if it has no named cells ... you can delete the whole sub block. Otherwise delete all the un named cells.

you will probably end up with 1-2 sub blocks per block.

Also a mention ... you can't delete them all at once per session without saving.

So I would suggest to close / save fo3-edit per block deletion.

But it will give a pop up and ask if you want to save. But then it puts a weird file in your data folder ... which it might be fine. But my cautious nature says to avoid that.

Add edit : incase you didn't know , in geck while the render window is active , you can hit the "B" key to show the cell borders. A mention because when I first started , the only way I knew how to see the cell grid was by opening the navmesh editor. But that slows the geck way down. Unless of course you have no navmesh , then you see nothing.

Oh, so thats it. I have to increase the "view distance" in .INI. Also my water (not the placable one) renders invisible in game. I searched for clues on the internet, as always, but no help. I bet I am doing something wrong... so many errors,,,

I am very desperate because everyone is already so pumped up for Fallout: Chicago... I dont want to disappoint them.

Oh, so thats it. I have to increase the "view distance" in .INI. Also my water (not the placable one) renders invisible in game.

No the solution is to add LOD to the map. Didn't you say you generated LOD earlier in the thread ?

Which is a mesh that gets put in a folder. Hence when you sent me the .esp file alone, I would not have seen it.

I am a bit foggy on the LOD thing. So you would need to read up on that yourself.

The .ini setting is just something for the individual player to do. And sets the whole game that way.

Which in area's of a lot of detail can slow the engine way down. So while some peoples systems would handle it fine , others may not.

The problem with the water ... not exactly sure. But may be the height you started the map with?

But like I said change it to Potomac , and make sure you set the LOD water as the same type and height.

Or it may need be slightly lower like 2.0 units. Then set the water noise to potomac also.

But if the water problem is because of the height you started. You can just go back to the placed water ... but don't scale it up so much ... keep it 1:1 or 2.0 at the max.

Sorry I am just guessing with that stuff , since I am not sure why we are not suppose to used placed water.

And now that I think about it .... the problem with scaled water was after scaling it to 10.0 with a bunch together.

Which caused the engine to stutter. So maybe just 2 at 5.0 is not so bad. And not like you can't fix it later if a problem arises. Although maybe you better sort it out before generating LOD ... since that can take awhile. Sorry were getting out of my depth on it to give solid advice.

Alrighty. Placable water works just fine but another problem popped out. The water is just too blue. I found out it is completely reflecting sky so I tried to disable sky reflecting in water settings but nothing changed. I also found out that I cant create Navmeshes. dont know why but i cannot join the navmesh verticles together. it simply isnt working at all. I read somewhere I should never try to autogenerate navmeshes since it will break the entire world space.

But despite these issues and the render distance problem is everything working so far. So thank you so much for help :)

Just a mention but that reflection problem could be an issue caused by the scaling ?

But I see on the base object it has flags for what it reflects. So rename the Base objects you are using to a unique ID. So you don't change all ref objects used by it. Then you can uncheck the sky.

As far as your navmesh problem. I just tested out your map and was able to navmesh it.

Using auto navmesh will break a map that is already navmeshed. Not one that has none.

But the auto navmesh tool is pretty much broken . And only works for flat land.

So you will want to do yours by hand anyways.

To get a triangle to form , you have to have 3 vertices selected (showing green) Then press "A"

And the only way to get 3 selected at once starting from none. Is by holding "Ctrl" key.

Or if you have 2 selected keep holding "Ctrl" and right mouse click where to place the 3rd. And it will automatically create the triangle. Which after making a triangle , 2 of the vertices are always still selected so that you can easily make another triangle with only adding 1 vertice. But often times , it will have 2 different ones than you want. So you have to release the control key and start over with no vertices selected.

Also after making a fair amount of triangles (no more than 1/2 a cell in exterior) ... hit the "B" button in the navmesh tool bar. It will try to balance the vertices and triangles , and often changes stuff around on you.

Save your file at that juncture , then continue on. Once the cell is done. You can then fix the final stuff how you want and finalize it. But don't ever use the B key in that cell again.

So to ensure you don't accidentally hit the B key over a done cell when doing exteriors.

Position your view a ways into the cell off the border. Then select a vertice or triangle in the cell you want to balance.

And the more often you use the B key while navmeshing, the less it will radically change stuff. Also after awhile you get a feel for how it wants to change stuff , which then radical change becomes less of a problem.

Hope that helps ... but remember to save often while navmeshing. Because it will eventually crash losing all your unsaved work. Not to mean it will always eventually crash while navmeshing. But that not saving it will eventually crash it. Because the changes are saved in a temporary memory , like a balloon filling up. And eventually it will pop.

As with changing anything in the geck will do. Its just that navmeshing fills it up pretty quick.