Prevent Author Spam of the Hot Files

TateTaylorOH

I think you're mis-characterizing this when you say it's about authors whining their files aren't making it to hot files. I have no problem making hot files when I release, SimonMagus616 doesn't, and Arthmoor certainly doesn't.

The issue I have is that as a user it limits what mods are shown to me. If I want to see popular new mods, it's nice to know that JK is doing Whiterun interiors now, but I really don't need half of the hot files to say JK's Whatever to find that out. I'd much rather have one panel for JK's hot files and the others to show me what else is new, so that I can see at a glance what else is new and popular.

To quote Dukov, "That dog don't hunt".

You characterized multiple files in the hot files section by the same author as "Author Spam of the Hot Files" (see, right up there in the title). Such language has a extremely negative connotation, implies that it is a deliberate act on the author's part, and indicates your attitude has nothing to do with users and everything to do with the author.

Now, if you are so concerned about the users, remember that it is the users who determine the contents of The Hot Files. Not Nexus, not you, not me and certainly not other mod authors. Saying that you are concerned about what the users see is simply a smoke screen.

• 1 year later...

I agree with what's said in this thread, a limitation on hot files would be good.

But personally, I think splitting mods in the first place is an even bigger issue. If a file would've been released as an update / optional file / additional feature of a mod prior to DP, but the author is instead choosing to post it as many separate mods to farm DP, then everyone in the community is worse off (whether or not the author waits a week before posting the split parts).

Users have a more inconvenient experience downloading the split content; other quality mods get less visibility which harms both users and authors; and the farmed DP comes out of the pockets of other authors who aren't splitting their mods into the tiniest conceivable fragments.

Yes, it's hard to make a black-and-white definition of what constitutes splitting mods, but we all recognize it when we see it. Make this reportable, or find some way to disincentivize it.