Nerevarine, 7th Champion of Cyrodiil & Dragonborn

x3Darkie

A few days ago, i came across a thread that discussed about the protagonist of TES 3,4 and 5 that which is the strongest. (Link) There's probably a thread like this exist somewhere on nexus. But I think it's interesting to discuss this in a different way. I'm talking about the canon, post-main quest & official DLCs of the protagonist. That means YOUR character is irrelevant. And so is 100% chameleon exploit(exploits, game bugs in general), titles(Arch-Mage, Gray Fox, etc) , mods and the sort.

So here's what I think: (And I'll refer the protagonist as "he" for the sake of simplicity)

Nerevarine - First thing first, I have never played Morrowind before so I don't know the details about him. All I know that he is the Reincarnation of Indoril Nerevar(hence his name) and have some sort relationship with Azura, immune to diseases, fought some sort of Daedric prince and possibly became a Werewolf in Bloodmoon DLC.

7th Champion of Cyrodiil - Also known as the 2nd Divine Crusader(Knights of the Nine DLC) and Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness(Shivering Isles DLC). Being a Divine Crusader easily make him one of the strongest person in Tamriel. And at the same time, he also became a Daedric Prince. Which potentially makes him stronger than Nerevarine(reincarnation of a legend) and/or Dragonborn(body of a mortal, soul of an immortal).

Dragonborn - Having a body of a mortal and a soul of a dragon. The ultimate dragon slayer capable of using Dragon Shouts to annihilate his enemies and to slay dragons that were immortal. Slayed lots of dragons and defeated(not slain) Alduin, the Nordic God of Destruction to delay the Elder Scroll's prophecy. He also potentially became a Vampire Lord in the Dawnguard DLC.

So yeah, I think the Champion of Cyrodiil is the strongest of the three main characters. Not that I mean that he could easily defeat them. Both Nerevarine and Dragonborn is a demigod in a way. But the Champion is a Daedric Prince! That means something, right? And those are my opinion, now let's hear yours. :P

Edited by x3Darkie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a tough one. If we consider them all before their respective end-games (CoC becomming Sheogorath, Nerevarine dissapearing) i think it would be a toss-up between the Dragonborn and the Nerevarine.

CoC did a lot, true, but until he became Sheogorath (and subsequently defeated Jyggalag) he wasn't really on even footing. Even as the Divine Crusader, he really only reached the pleatau which the Dragonborn and Nerevarine started at (being blessed by a divine entity). With the exception of Shivering Isles, his achievements just don't really match up to the other two.

The Nerevarine was a reborn hero of an extinct race of Mer, blessed by Azura, who became one with the Divine Disease, destroyed (or at least displaced) the Heart of Lorkhan, single handedly destroyed a skeleton army and the lich commanding it, vanquished two living gods, overcame Lycanthropy and bested Hercine in single combat.

The Dragonborn has the soul of a Dragon, defeated the World Eater, braved the soul-consuming domain of the Soul Cairn, slew one of the most ancient vampires in Skyrim (maybe even Tamriel) and (presumably, i don't have Dragonborn) survived the libraries of Hermaeus Mora and defeated the progenetor of the Dragonblood.

The CoC's start was far more mundane. He braved Oblivion to shut gates (not really killing anyone overly important) found the bastard heir of the throne, killed some Dagon worshipers, then watched Martin actually defeat Dagon. Only after that did he start to rise, becomming the Divine Crusader, vanquishing a demi-god, then stopping the Greymarch by mantling Sheogorath. Really, because of the last event, he isn't even the CoC anymore, so the achievements end the instant he becomes Sheogorath (because he didn't replace, he became).

If we assume everyone is tricked out in the best gear available to them, then the Dragonborn is at something of a dissadvantage. Staff of Magnus and Bow of Auri-el are great at range, but lose versitility up close, where CoC and Nerevarine have Umbra (which, lets face it, was jsut awesome... So awesome it HAD to be destroyed). The Nerevarine also has Trueflame, which beats the piss out of most 1handed swords elsewhere. Dragonborn has shouts, which largely ballance out the superior magic of both the CoC and Nerevarine, though the last had more impressive enchanting. Both Dragonborn and Nerevarine have Spellbreaker in their arsenal as well, countering almost all magical threats.

The Nerevarine, though, had access to two weapons neither the CoC or the Dragonborn did. The Fork of Horapalation (i joke) and the Daedric Crescent. The latter was such a feared weapon that they were rounded up and destroyed following the Battlespire incedent.

Anyway, really, my money is on the Nerevarine, mostly because i don't consider the CoC becomming Sheogorath something he acomplished. At that point, the CoC stopped existing, and there was only Sheogorath. Even then, the Nervarine has bested a Daedric Prince once before (even though Hercine is amongst the weakest princes). The Dragonborn's story so far also fails to match up, but his story may admitedly not be finished yet.

Of course, this is all moot if the Nerevarine understood the 36 lessons. In which case, he either Zero-summed, and thus is no threat to anyone, anywhere, or he acheived CHIM, in which case nothing even Sheogorath-CoC could do would bother him.

The Nerevarine, though, had access to two weapons neither the CoC or the Dragonborn did. The Fork of Horapalation

Huh?

Anyways, they are all the same. A purple haired girl from Hammerfell who's far more interessted in sneaking away with glittery things then red mountains, firey gates or oversized reptiles. :P

Huh?[/url]

Huh, i never did find that... Big Head and his house full of Forks, yes, but never the Fork of Horripilation. Of course, my interest in Oblivion had a tendancy to wane more than wax, so i likely missed a good deal. That does put the CoC on more even footing, however, as what is more dangerous than an oversized dinner fork?

In terms of items that could tip the scale.. I'd like to mention the good King Helseth's ring of unkillableness. Morrowind's artifacts really did give you a more massively unbalanced ability than the later games.

Spellbreaker is in Oblivion as well, so you can leave that out of the equation entirely. There was also the escutcheon of Chorrol, which was almost like the Spellbreaker, only providing melee reflect instead of spell reflect.

I say Dragonborn. He is possibly the reincarnation of Talos, a Nine Divine, aka, a foul fledged god. He also killed and consumed the soul of Akatosh's firstborn, Alduin, a god in his own right. On top of that, it is possible the Alduin is Akatosh, it is mentioned in a book ingame that they may be the same entity. He kills an ancient vampire, escaps a soul eating realm of Oblivion, does whatever amazing thing he does in Dragonborn, and helps to end a civil war. Not only can he do everything the other two characters can, but he can also speak the language of the dragons, and command them. Dragonborn, is easily the strongest. Edited by Guy97

I say Dragonborn. He is possibly the reincarnation of Talos, a Nine Divine, aka, a foul fledged god. He also killed and consumed the soul of Akatosh's firstborn, Alduin, a god in his own right. On top of that, it is possible the Alduin is Akatosh, it is mentioned in a book ingame that they may be the same entity. He kills an ancient vampire, escaps a soul eating realm of Oblivion, does whatever amazing thing he does in Dragonborn, and helps to end a civil war. Not only can he do everything the other two characters can, but he can also speak the language of the dragons, and command them. Dragonborn, is easily the strongest.

It's been a while, but I am pretty sure you don't absorb Alduin's soul.