[LE] How do you add more NPCs to existing scripted scenes?

I'm trying to add follower commentary from Serana to a vanilla scene (the beginning Morthal scene, DialogueMorthalInitScene). I've already set up my alias for Serana (MorthalSceneRNPCAlias, External Alias Ref, DLC1NPCMentalModel Alias ------> ResponsiveNPC), and added her alias to the vanilla scene script as an "auto" property:

;BEGIN ALIAS PROPERTY MorthalSceneRNPCAlias

;ALIAS PROPERTY TYPE ReferenceAlias

ReferenceAlias Property Alias_MorthalSceneRNPCAlias Auto

After the last vanilla phase ( Phase 8 ) when JorgenAlias says his last line, I added a new Phase (9) where Serana would comment to the player. There is one requirement for that Phase to fire, (GetVMQuestVariable on DLC1NPCMentalModel, ::isFollowing_var) just to check if she's currently following the player. However, even when the requirements have been met, this Phase doesn't fire in-game.

Looking at the vanilla scene in itself, there are four actors (Aslfur, Thonnir, Benor, and Jorgen) each with a UniqueActor FillType for their respective aliases. The quest scene is a Start Game Enabled one, immediately at Stage 0 moving the four characters into their respective scene markers.

"Alias_AslfurAlias.GetReference().MoveTo(AslfurMarker)

Alias_ThonnirAlias.GetReference().MoveTo(ThonnirMarker)

Alias_BenorAlias.GetReference().MoveTo(BenorMarker)

Alias_JorgenAlias.GetReference().MoveTo(JorgenMarker)"

The scene properly starts for the player to experience once the player is less than 1000 units away from Aslfur's alias. It then continues on as normal until the last phase, where it ends.

Nothing else from the base vanilla scene was tweaked or changed, both in script fragments and quest entry. I think it may have to be something related to Serana's alias not properly filling, since the quest starts and goes on as it normally would in the vanilla game.

Any help would be much appreciated.