Random CTDs the bane of my existance

Serpinitha

My Skyrim Special Edition game crashes at seemingly random intervals and reasons i.e death, changing magic, can not replicate them i.e respawning same npc that killed me at same location does not cause crash the second time. No CTDs on launch or geographically as far as i can tell.

Here is my Modwatch https://modwat.ch/u/Serpinitha/plugins I use Mod Organiser 2

Note: Below Occlusion esps are disabled. A large amount of my patches have been merged i can provide a detailed list if necessary, some hair, eye mods and armor mods have also been merged nothing with bsas scripts, or any warnings beyond minor order errors (ignored). Have eslfyed a few esps using xedits inbuilt script only with "Can be turned into ESL by adding ESL flag in TES4 header" and avoided large mods as precaution fairly sure the eslfying has nothing to do with the crashes.

Maybe of note a few of the merges have armor mods that didn't show up in game correctly so I enabled the original mod. Refference limit is not an issue. Vram is fairly maxed out not sure if this has anything to do with the crashes given sse I was under the impression "memory limits" and such were not important to ctds. I run beth ini on medium preset so fairly certain no ini issues.

Have been playing a male character in another playthrough and appears to have not crashed yet will need to play more to determine if just luck or ctd is actually gender dependent (will edit once sure as well as trying a new save to see that it is not save dependent). Save file is relatively small and game is only a couple of hours in. I have converted mods such as citrus head.

Mods have been cleaned and sorted with loot with some minor manual changes from suggestions of mod author or skyproc patches and bottom of load order etc. I use most recent SKSE and game is outside of programs folder.

My Pcs Specs Nvidia Geforce 1060 3gb, 8gb ram, i5 8400 cpu, 2.8ghz, 4ghz turbospeed.

I am aware my specs arent the best but have picked 2k texture or lower on smaller objects and fps is not that much of an issue despite some slight stuttering. 40-50fps.

Mashed patch has had some manual editing to resolve conflicts so as to your guys ability to help me I am not entirely sure but would appreciate any suggestions. Sorry for the large load order i understand it may be quiet the effort to help me but i'm at a loss and any help would mean the world.

thanks, Levi.

Edited by Serpinitha

FWIW, the vast majority of my "random" CTDs are memory related, specifically graphics memory, which gets pegged for one reason or another, and the game goes down, so you *might want to monitor that if you're getting inexplicable and intermittent CTDs

FTR, 3.6GHz, i9700K proc, 64G primary memory, 500GB SSD, 6G GeForce 1060 video card, running in ultra mode w/ ~250 (or so) mods.

Load order is important. Sort with LOOT if you are not already.

Anjen is correct about memory issues, though Skyrim SE is MUCH better out of the box than Oldrim was. You should be using SSE Engine Fixes if you aren't already. SSE Fixes (NOT the same as SSE Engine Fixes) is also a good performance enhancing mod. I'd start with SSE Engine Fixes though and go from there; that mod is essential.

Ah, another thing; turn off ALL of the autosave features in the game settings. Autosaves have a tendency to attempt to do their thing at the worst times (opening inventory, activating an object or character, load doors, etc.) and often lead to crashes or corrupt autosaves. I don't even use quicksaves any longer; I take the time to do a real, full save at intervals of 5-10 minutes or before changing areas.

Keep in mind that it's pretty normal to have a stable game at the beginning of a playthrough, but then to have the performance deteriorate over time. This is due to more scripts, variables, objects, characters, and other info getting stored in your save.

I'm up around save #1400 for my current character, and I'm starting to have freezes and CTDs every couple hours in certain game areas. Goes with the territory of Bethesda games.

Edited by melvinius