Missing Meshes

Hey, I'm trying to remod my Morrowind after having played in 2019 with MGSO, but as I was about to reinstall it I saw that the mod author had posted that the mod was outdated and shouldn't be used anymore, so I decided to try a couple mods from the Morrowind Graphics Guide. I started with MGE XE and immediately ran into problems when I loaded my old save. It seems some meshes are missing, namely that of a couple books, but there may be other things missing, I only did a cursory look. They show up as the giant exclamation mark. I tried installing Morrowind Enhanced Textures thinking the texture might be missing, and when that didn't work I tried Arukinn's Better Books and Scrolls, but no dice, it seems to be the meshes rather than the textures. Is this because I'm using an old save that had MGSO installed?

My load order right now is

TwinLamps v0.8a.esp

Welcome to the Arena! v6.6.esp

Ties-that-bind Companion Character.esp

Morrowind Patch v1.6.3

Oh yeah, I also tried installing the Morrowind Code Patch

Morrowind Patch v1.6.3: is that a .esp file? because it should be a .esm file and loaded before the rest
Where are you getting the loading order from? the best loading order text to copy/paste sources are MLOX and Mash, Morrowind.ini usually re-sorts mods in alphabetic order which is not so useful to try and fix mod loading order conflicts

[EDIT] also, uninstalling a bunch of other mods can often make an old save requiring these mods not working any more, best thing would probably be starting a new game

Edited by abot

Morrowind Patch v1.6.3: is that a .esp file? because it should be a .esm file and loaded before the rest

Where are you getting the loading order from? the best loading order text to copy/paste sources are MLOX and Mash, Morrowind.ini usually re-sorts mods in alphabetic order which is not so useful to try and fix mod loading order conflicts

[EDIT] also, uninstalling a bunch of other mods can often make an old save requiring these mods not working any more, best thing would probably be starting a new game

How do I install Wyre Mash? Is there a guide somewhere?

How do I install Wyre Mash? Is there a guide somewhere?

There's an installer version here --> https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45439?tab=description

Check out the Posts tab for a video

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Buntohideshisboots,
How's it goin'? :smile:
I think we can figure this out, I just have a few questions to help me help you - are you running a save game that used MGSO, or a new game (because you said reinstall MGSO, so I wasn't sure, and just wanted to clarify)?
Are the other mods you listed ones you had installed before the errors, and they ran fine, or were they installed right before you started getting the errors, because, in that case, the problem could be with one of the other mods.
When you installed those mods, did they ask you to overwrite any files?
If they did, then they might have replaced some files with bad textures or meshes that you're having trouble with.
If you're running an old save game that you made when playing using MGSO, then that save probably requires MGSO to load without problems.
In that case, I would stick to MGSO, or start a new game, or you could try cleaning your save game file (make a copy of it first just in case).
MGE XE is pretty different from MGSO, and the author of MGSO said it was outdated, because it is when concerning mods that are more recent than the last time MGSO was updated (sorry I don't know when that was), but if you're using mods that are as old as that version of MGSO, and nothing newer, then I'd just stick to that, unless you're cool with trying to clean your save game, or start a new game.
Here's a couple links that can help with cleaning save game files:
Link to Wyre Mash download (link above talks about using it to clean save games, but also, as mentioned by Abot and Dragon32, you can use it for lots of other things too. On this mod page, they have links to lots of info and directions for working with Wyre Mash, including the next link.)
This is sort of an "all about" Wyre Mash page. To fix your save game, if that's what you want to do, I'd suggest reading the part about "Repairing a Save Game" and "Master List Updating" (if the save game sees MGSO as a requirement/dependent on it, then you can use Wyre Mash to remove that dependency). Now I don't use MGSO myself, but if it installs ESP or ESM files (like most mods do), then the "Master List Updating" part of this page will be helpful in removing that dependency on MGSO. Make sure you make a copy of that save game first, just in case.
Hope this helps, I'll check back, and see what you said, but also let me know if you have questions :smile:
Edited by criminalboy