Elves have hair and back of heads missing, and other NPCs have cloudy eyes - help please!

imogenlily

So during lockdown I've decided to replay DA trilogy for first time on PC and use mods. I'm a complete novice, I've only used mods for five days (I've researched lots of youtube videos, manuals etc) but I'm in the dark about most stuff. I'm using Vortex to download and install mods, please don't judge me, I know people say it's better to use mod manager but nexus makes it really hard *not* to use Vortex (I've tried not to use Vortex, it's hard, lots of manual downloads won't work even when I uninstalled Vortex and tried mod manage, so I had to reinstall vortex).

Long story short Iwanted some pretty hair mods but couldn't get them to show up at all until I accidentally discovered chargenmorph compiler but I have not idea what I did but I got my hair mods to work so I didn't really care how. Not wanting to loose the hair mods, I created a bunch of characters at the same time, all diff origins. I started a F!Tabris playthrough with Ferelden Elves mod, but the hair colours were way too bright so I deleted some mods to do with colour. Everything was fine until Duncan showed up, I couldn't see his face well (too dark) so I tinkered with some appearance mods, adjusted gamma, went back to Tabris - who has kept her beautiful hair intact, but most of the female Elves are now missing their head and the back of their head gone, some male elves are missing hair (but not back of head) (I can see eyeballs and teeth *shudders*) and I have no idea how to fix it. Googling I realize I might have accidentally deleted a file in override folder but really I have no idea what I've done. On a side note, on a Dalish elf playthrough I created at the same time, Tamlen I can only see his head and bow. I have hair/beauty mods are installed via Vortex as well as in chargenmorph compiler, but these were installed via Vortex before the no hair issue so I'm not sure that's the issue. I also haven't ever used the Dragon Age Redesigned mod.

This is happening across the board on all my games. I'm also experiencing cloudy eyes and a lot of them seem to have shiny, glowing skin in some NPCs like Eleanor Cousland and her friend but I've never used Dragon Age Resigned or Improved Atmosphere mods which I heard are too big culprits for cloudy eye problems. It's disruppting the games to see characters eyeballs!

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?? I've tried disabling and enabling all kinds of mods (process of elimination) I've tried deleting and reinstalling the compiler, I've tried creating new ones with extra mods. Nothing works. weirdly the hair mods always stay for my warden. Help. Please!

My mod list (my enabled ones):

• Lady Deadlock's Morrigan redefined

• Alistair's revised romance

• banter acceleration

• CS new tints for hairs

• DA chargenmorph compiler v125

• Grey wardens of Fereldan

• Alistair's nightmare

• Extra dog slot

• Lock bash

• Auto loot

• Elves of Fereldan

• Farewell Duncan

• Female elf for creator screen

• JB3 textures

• Morrigan restoration patch

• QUDAO fix patch (Qwinn)

• Retconned Cullen v 2.0 hazel eyes

• Ser Gilmore NPC companion

• Skip fade

• Theta HD

• Whispers of Labyrinth

• Zevran ASAP

Are you using the vanilla face morphs for non-elf NPCs that aren't displaying properly (like Teyrna Cousland)? If not, I suggest completely reinstalling the game, because you apparently have an issue with the actual game assets which would be used by those vanilla morphs.

If you are using NPC morphs from a mod that is not listed above, re-check the requirements carefully.

You are missing from your list all the required mods for Ferelden Elves. One is tucked hair, which you can download from that link. That will correct the problem with empty skulls on NPCs. The second requirement is elf update, which give the morphs the DA2-style head mesh. The third missing requirement is Pineapple Tree Vibrant Colors. You will all three of those mods for Ferelden Elves to work, though you can safely omit the replacer for the default eyes from PT Vibrant Colors. (See the description of Ferelden Elves for confirmation of that information.)

Neither Dragon Age Redesigned or Improved Atmosphere are 'culprits' for cloudy eyes. The culprit is generally missing eye textures, resulting from mods not being installed correctly.

There is also the possibility that JB3 is causing the issue, as the textures are very badly optimized and extremely taxing on the game's engine, even with the Large Address Aware (LAA) or 4GB patch applied. Try removing JB3 and see if that helps.

The issue may also be caused by the use of Vortex to install the mods. I really suggest reinstalling them by following the instructions provided by the mod creators, as Vortex has a long history of not handling DAO mods correctly.

The chargenmorphcfg.xml file isn't used by NPC morphs and is not a factor at all in what you've described. The only purpose that file serves is to add additional, modded assets to the Character Creator, during chargen. You can even remove that file from your override and the player characters you've already created will retain their appearance.

ETA that you have a possible conflict in your install with Alistair's Revised Romance and Qwinn's Ultimate DAO Fix Pack since they both affect Alistair's dialogue files (and possibly the plot flags for his romance).

MRP (Morrigan Restoration Patch) is not compatible with Qwinn's, per the latter mod's description.

Edited by theskymoves