Game can't find save games (they're all in the default folder as usual)

caligari666

Hi! Yes, it is.

bFaceMipMaps=1
bFaceGenTexturing=1
bDefaultCOCPlacement=0
uGridDistantCount=20
uGridsToLoad=5
fGlobalTimeMultiplier=1.0000
bNewAnimation=1
bFixAIPackagesOnLoad=0
bForceReloadOnEssentialCharacterDeath=1
bKeepPluginWhenMerging=0
bCreate Maps Enable=0
SLocalSavePath=Saves\
SLocalMasterPath=Data\
bDisableDuplicateReferenceCheck=1
bTintMipMaps=0
uInterior Cell Buffer=3
uExterior Cell Buffer=36
iIntroSequencePriority=3

Cheers.

Edited by caligari666

How did you get multiple auto saves ? The vanilla design is to overwrite each with the latest.

I've never logged into steam to play the game myself , but does that have something to do with it ?

Sounds like the registry has gotten corrupted. OP will probably need to re-install the game so the registry gets pointed to the default location again. The save game files should be unaffected. Just rename the existing game folder (with it's installed mods) to something else temporarily, then after going through the re-install and the Launcher, rename the original folder back to the reinstalled game folder. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

How did you get multiple auto saves ? The vanilla design is to overwrite each with the latest.

I've never logged into steam to play the game myself , but does that have something to do with it ?

A bit off-topic Mktavish, but It's a setting in FalloutPrefs.INI under [General]:

iSaveGameBackupCount=10

The autosaves don't roll-over until the last "backupcount" number is used.

-Dubious-

Ok, I reinstalled the game. Change the original game folder name, launch the game once, and then change the name back (I haven't deleted the folder of the clean install yet) This a GOG install by the way, so the article didn't really gave much support from that point of view.

I launch Mod Organizer (different issue, I know) and I get this error, any clues? Nevermind the conflicts of mods. ("Access Denied")

Tried running it with administrator permissions (the extent of my knowledge)

Edited by caligari666

That error message is from "Mod Organizer", so you need to speak with their support. It sounds like MO needs to be told where to find the game again.

With the GOG version, it's basically the same as with Steam if you installed it from their Galaxy service. If you installed it manually from the "Offline Backup Game Installer" location, then you can completely ignore everything that refers to the "verify local files" or "Steam Client" as you don't have anything equivalent. Just "reinstall" from the download files as normal.

If you did move the game out of the default "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree" location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-