Am I having a SSD or MO2 problem

I've been using a Samsung 750 EVO 256 GB SSD for about two years. I switched from NMM to MO2 about a year ago. All has been good up until a couple months ago. Like most mornings I fired up my pc and loaded the CK but get a consistant CTD every time I try to run the CK. After a couple hours of troubleshooting I find a corrupted nif in a mod I have active in MO2 (Oddly, not the mod I'm working on and mod has not been touched since it was installed.). After replacing the corrupted nif from a backup all was good until a couple days ago. I fire up the CK and CTD again and again and again... Yep another corrupted nif in an unrelated but active MO2 mod. Now it's happened again this morning.

When I installed MO2 it placed it's working folders in C:\Users\MyComp\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer. I've been thinking about moving it out of the AppData folders simply because it's a bit of a PIA to navigate to them in there. Now I'm considering moving the MO2 data to see if it would help solve the CK CTD problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

These corrupted files in my MO2 folders are the only places I've had any problems. If It were the SSD failing it seems to me that the problems wouldn't likely be confined to the MO2 folders.

Download Samsungs tool, and check the health of your drive. Lots of useful information in the Smart Data. (and there are tutorials online for how to interpret it.)

I am not aware that MO2 would corrupt files that were already installed. That just seems strange to me.......

Thanks HeyYou, I will download and run the Samsung tool. Actually this whole thing seems strange to me. Why would the CK crash because of a corrupted nif in a mod that's not being loaded? I could see the game crashing because of it, the game loads all active mods but the CK doesn't does it?

Not that I am aware of...... and one bad nif shouldn't make it crash anyway.... I would like to think it is smart enough to realize that "Hey! This file is screwed up, lets NOT load it, and just flash a warning." But not..... guess not huh? :D

• 2 months later...

all i can say that this is probably not mo2 related. never had such a problem with mo2 and a ssd raid 0 configuration. but i had such a problem using nif optimizer. it showed me me some corrupt nifs (good) and it produced some corrupt nifs (bad). so be aware using these tools in an automated process.

Thanks for the info Xrayy! I have never used Nif Optimizer or anything like it. It's been over two months since I posted this and the problem has not popped it's ugly head up again. I still have no idea what caused it, couldn't find any problems with the SSD.

so if just this game is affected it must be somehow game or mod related, if you encounter any other files affected i would check the reliability of your hardware (SSD, memory, overclocking?) and your system (virus ?)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am a complete rookie, so my brain is not helping you exactly here, BUT I can pass along what I am freshly learning cause it happens to be applicable to this issue possibly. See I plan to use MO II myself soon. So I tracked down the MO II god, and On the MO II gurus discord, when asking them how to do everything properly, 1 common thing I get 100% of the time is to NOT have your game or MO II installed on your C drive.

This seems to be a very widely accepted consensus for all MO II gurus - Instal games your going to mod on a dedicated separate drive from your OS drive, and then also install all modding utilities on that same drive.

I could be totally wrong, and I admit I am a total newb at this. But I thought I would pass on this information and knowledge I have just recently learned. Because it was ironic I just learned all that, then I came here to get some help, and I seen your post and thought I'd share.

Also, I know its a total PITA, but instead of moving, clean installing everything as described would be best. Start vanilla, then build from there.

Hope you get it ironed out brother !

Edited by xInfaRedx

Hi, I am a complete rookie, so my brain is not helping you exactly here, BUT I can pass along what I am freshly learning cause it happens to be applicable to this issue possibly. See I plan to use MO II myself soon. So I tracked down the MO II god, and On the MO II gurus discord, when asking them how to do everything properly, 1 common thing I get 100% of the time is to NOT have your game or MO II installed on your C drive.

This seems to be a very widely accepted consensus for all MO II gurus - Instal games your going to mod on a dedicated separate drive from your OS drive, and then also install all modding utilities on that same drive.

I could be totally wrong, and I admit I am a total newb at this. But I thought I would pass on this information and knowledge I have just recently learned. Because it was ironic I just learned all that, then I came here to get some help, and I seen your post and thought I'd share.

Also, I know its a total PITA, but instead of moving, clean installing everything as described would be best. Start vanilla, then build from there.

Hope you get it ironed out brother !

You are close. :) The idea is, don't install in a protected folder. Program Files, Programs files (x86) etc. Create a folder on the root of C, (or, ideally, a separate drive) for steam/all your games. UAC (User Account Control) is what bites most folks in the keester.

Thanks xInfaRedx and Thank you HeyYou for the clarification. I do have a second, smaller SSD that I could use and may try reinstalling this fall or winter. I will probably use the smaller 128GB Intel drive as my C: drive and install games and tools on the 256GB Samsung drive.

It's pushing four months since I started this post and so far the problem has not happened again. Actually the CTD that caused me to start this thread was not a corrupted nif but turned out to be PelgWarnings.owl, a custom warnings config. I use to get more relevant warnings when the CK loads. That was the only time the problem occurred that it was not a bad nif file.