Crime Wave Quest / Slim Couldry no requirements

MODsFreak

First of all a big thanks to modders that make this awesome game even better.

Now, there is this guy in Denerim that gives you some of the most unique and fun quests, BUT... according to the Dragon Age Wiki:

"The Warden needs either the Stealth talent or to have learned the Stealing skill for Slim Couldry to appear."
"Note: Ideally the Warden must have both the Stealth and Stealing skill in order to complete all eight quests. However, if only the stealing skill is present, both quest lines can become available by choosing the "I want to know it all" dialogue option, and the quests may be completed using companions."

I just think it really is a waste of a skill (that you get so few in the game) just to get this guy to appear. Why must the PC have that skill? What are your companions for, after all?
A mod that could remove this requirements is extremely needed. I searched the net but did not find anything similar.
If someone could make that mod, I and all DAO fans would be eternally grateful. Thank you.

You can try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lccb3z0qili5wya/Crime_Wave_No_Conditions.rar/file

Simply extract the folder and drop it into your Override folder.

Info: the initial conditions (whether main PC has Stealing/Stealth) are checked in the area script, den200ar_market. The direct solution is to hack this script, but this script is modified by Qwinn's Fixpack. So what I did here is insert a custom script via PRCSCR_. This script will run whenever you enter the Market District in Denerim, and check if the plot flag for Couldry's appearance is still FALSE. If it's still FALSE, the script will then go through your party list and see if anyone has either Stealing or Stealth. As soon as there is such a member, it will set the plot flag for Couldry's appearance to TRUE.

Now the next problem is, after Couldry has appeared, his dialog will check again whether the MAIN character has Stealing or not at the line "Ever done bump-and-grabs?..." Having Stealing on main PC enables the two dialog options that give access to the stealing quests. His dialog file is also altered by Qwinn's Fixpack, however. I extracted this dialog file from Qwinn's Fixpack and removed the condition from the aforementioned line, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Wow. Someone did it. Can't believe. That's SSOOO COOL!!! Thanks, DLuf.

So, let me see if I can grasp what you did there from my non-existint modding skills perspective: it will work basically in the same manner as the sub-quest Elora's Halla, were "If you or a party member has two ranks or more in the Survival skill...", meaning if I don't, it will check if a party member has it. Is that it?

Unfortunately, I can not test this right away since I just recently reinstalled the game in a very long time, and in the middle of the process of downloading mods and organizing the override folder structure for compatibility issues and the like, but when I start playing as soon as I'm able to go to Denerim I'll check it and feedback. Unless someone in the meantime is willing to test and report. That would be helpfull and cool, too.

And the fact that you used Qwinn's Fixpack file is great, meaning that even if one doesn't use his fixpack (who would commit such a sin?) still gets the fix he applied to that file and yours.

I'll be back to report, but it may take awhile. Unless, as said, someone is willing to test and report.

Thanks for your work, DLuf.

Thanks Nexus people. You're great!

Here's a save you can use to test (has been scanned with Malwarebytes):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c1e6shlqime0zjl/Save-Adrian.rar/file

Extract the folder and drop it into \Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Characters\

The save is at camp, at Denerim. Just take either Leliana (Stealing) or Zevran (Stealth) with you when you go to Denerim and Couldry will be there. This save is not modded.

Hi DLuf.

So this afternoon played a bit with your save and mod, and lo and behold, that fat Slim Couldry was there! :D

Did some missions and everything works like a charm.

You should upload that mod to the Nexus.

Thank you so much. May the Maker bless you, my friend. I truly mean it.