SKSE says my Skyrim SE is an old version but no new version available on Steam

pksky

First mod I wanted to download was SKYUI, which requires SKSE. So I downloaded and copied the files for SKSE into the appropriate folders. When I launch SKSE it tells me my version of skyrim is 1.5.39 and not the latest. But when I go to Steam, and have updates turned on, it doesn't show that there are any updates required. What gives?

Wow, this is very confusing: I checked the "devnotes" page on Besthesda.net and it "confirms" that the latest update is the version I already have - 1.5.39 but google searching brings up pages mentioning an update as late as november 2019 1.5.97. The page says that even though bethesda is still releasing patches, it's not updating it's webpage to mention them. WHAT?! The fact that steam doesn't want to update to any version later than 1.5.39 adds to the confusion. Is it really that hard to update a webpage with a line of text?

I'll try what you said, deleting and redownloading the skyrim.exe.

Okay, so I figured out my problem. I had it installed in two places and skse was seeing the latest updated version on C: drive, even though I had the skse files copied to the folders in D: drive. I used to steam to move my install to the D: drive and now all is well. Thanks!

So user error in me not realizing I still had the install on C, but bad on bethesda for not listing updates past version 1.5.39, which happened to be the version I originally had on D! If I hadn't googled and browsed through a few different pages, I would have never known that there were any versions after that and would have sworn that "besthesda says the latest is 1.5.39!"

• 1 year later...

I must thank the Author and responder to this post I had a similar problem with getting the game to update and could find no information on what was wrong and had started to suspect that Versions past 1.5.39 of Skyrim Se where some sort of internet prank or hoax cause I couldn't find any way to update it and steam had updates enabled. Thank you so much for this!

Edited by Faustes1