Mod Organizer 2 Save Game Format Error

aarondcull

So, I have a bit of a self-inflicted problem on my hands. Here's the backstory...

-I made a new profile by copying my current game/loadout to start a new Fallout 4 profile using MO2.

-Named the new profile, etc. and deleted the save games that transferred from copying without ticking the Local Save Game box on MO2 (yes, I'm stupid...)

-Once I realized that I had deleted around 1700 save files (and around 10 days of playtime), I recovered the files from my Recycling Bin. This process only recovered about 800 save files, a loss of around 900 save files and 5 days of playtime.

-I looked up various ways to recover deleted files on Windows 7, and eventually found a free to use data recovery called iCare Data Recovery Free. I managed to find my save files using this program, but the names of the save files were changed. https://imgur.com/pmTtU1a

-Using another data recovery program (iBeesoft Data Recovery Trial), I managed to find the same files, only this program retains the proper name of my save games https://imgur.com/czVkuy3 (I'd use this program, but it costs around $50 to purchase...)

-I then attempted to manually rename the corresponding save file to the proper name (Save 1698...) https://imgur.com/oztTDZK (I have used Mator Smash in the past, which is why my save games have such long names).

-This did not work, as MO2 gave me the following error message https://imgur.com/ECjjXjG and Fallout 4 says that the game is corrupted when I attempt to load it.

-So, I do not know if I can recover these files by renaming them or by reformatting them to the proper structure? I'm really hoping so. If anybody has any advice or ways to resolve this, that would be awesome.

If you need more info/pictures, please let me know. Also, if this post needs relocated, that's also fine. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Hi Aaron. Wow, this situation kinda sucks.

I sympathize for your situation. Don't get me wrong on that. I do. But, you're overthinking it.

Ok, here goes.

1) The actual file names don't matter. As long as the .fos and the f4se extentions are present (tho I don't know if those are even necessary, I've never been able to fully decode them)

and the file integrity is good, that's really all that matters, as far as the game reading them.

Case in point. If you download a game save file that has been shared by somebody else. The file could be named practically anything. Such as "MySharedSaveGame.fos" and it will still play.

A) Tho having the dollar sign at the start of the filename "might" cause issues. That's usually a file tag that can sometimes be used by windows for temp files, are has them marked for deletion.

I'll get back to this.

2) You really don't need to have the entire progress of your character's game experience recorded in saves. What I mean there, is that you don't need to have each and every savegame that was created for your character. I backup and delete savegames usually about twice a week, if I have been playing. (Which reminds me, I'm overdue for that!)

After I make my backups of the files, I generally only keep the prewar and v111 saves, and then maybe 3-5 of the most recent save files for the character. There in my vanilla gamesaves folder.

Now, that is, unless I have important events recorded into a save. In which case, I have already renamed the savegame especially for that event. I don't recommend trying to do that through windows, there are console commands that you can use to create named savegames.

The tool that I like to use is Recuva, it's from the same company that makes Ccleaner. Now ok, the company did have a smear on their record many moons ago, due to one of their releases of CCleaner being infected. They've moved past that. Recuva is a pretty good tool.

I also have used for several years, a tool called Bulk Rename Utility. https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

Now, if you look at it, when you open it, it may look really intimidating. There's a lot of options right there as soon as you open the program. But, that's also the good thing. Everything is right there in front of you, as soon as you open the program.

Don't be intimidated. There is literally only 1 or 2 of these boxes that you need to worry about.

If you want to remove most of the filename, all you have to do is select the files that you are wanting to rename. Then tick the box in Remove. Then select how many characters you want to remove. Either from the start of the name, or from the end of the name. Really cool is that you see examples of those changes in realtime, in the files that you selected.

After you have that set up, you tick the box right next to the one you were working in, for Add.

Then type in the prefix or suffix that you want to use. Again, you can see previews of the changes, in realtime.

Once you have them set up, you just click the Rename Button at the bottom. If there is a problem, the utility will give you a warning, and ask if you would like to continue. If no, then it gives you an option to undo all the changes you had it make.

Edit, I forgot to mention this.

One of the best things about Bulk Rename Utility, is that it insinuates itself into windows explorer, which makes things infinitely easier and faster.

You don't have to open the program and then search all over your computer to find the files you want through the rename program.

You just open the folder that your files are in through windows, then right click on one of the files, and choose to Bulk Rename Here from the options that are presented through the right click menu.

Edited by StormWolf01

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stormwolf01,

Thanks for your post, it was helpful. I did manage to get a few saves back using the Recuva and I only lost about a day of playing time.

I'm usually much more diligent in backing up/trimming down my save games, I manage it well with 6 characters in Skyrim, I just hadn't taken the time to do so for Fallout 4 yet...lesson learned.

The save games that I had recovered were being corrupted upon recovery, not allowing me to load them.

Your advice ultimately saved me about 4 days of actual playing time, so thanks so much and I'll be using that bulk rename utility too.

Hiya Aaron. I'm really glad to hear that you got a large portion of it straightened out :)

LOL Right, I kinda had a case of it too. Not as bad as yours, but still aggrivating.

Those f4se saves I mentioned before? Eh... I found out why to keep them. I deleted them out of my save folder, and it turns out that those are the records that f4se keeps for what it does in game. Without them, things like Looksmenu bodyslide alterations, MCM, along with any other F4se scripts DON'T get recorded. Was not happy, HAHA.

But yeah, glad to have helped out, and it sounds like things are going better now :)

-Storm