Fallout Modelling - Skinning Workaround Mini Tutorial

jaysus

Hi, I'm working on a new armor mesh, I've made the mesh, tiangulated, changed T flag to 16, updated blablabla. I copied it over the vanilla mesh, no errors looks great in nifskope, save it and when I load it in the geck, the mesh is all messed up. The texture is fine but the mesh is all spikey and such. What did I do wrong? I've tried changing the Tflag back to 0, same thing. Do you think it has to do with the bones? Do you really need to mess with them(I have no experience with these)? If so I'll probably just drop this project...

I'm sorry, you must be getting tiered of whinny mod-noob questions but any help is much appreciated.

Seems like you have a bad skinning problem , have you rigged the vertexes to the bones ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hogwash,

I think I know your problem and "yes" you need to mess a little with the Bones but it ain't that complicated

When using blender you need to copy the Bone weight Data of a vanilla mesh and paste its niskindata with nifskope.

I know it sounds complicated, but here is a good tutorial for blender.

:::::::::::::>>> http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=963

I tried again and even changed the mesh exporer with max 9 now and used both exporters but when I paste no mesh is pasted in the file I see the data pasted but the shame mesh is always the vanilla one , also is a bit confusing the -> arrow thing couse in my nif tool nitrishape nitridata etc arent one inside the other nested but are one after the other and look like different arrows of the file ...o u think you can make a more detailed step by step instructions since to me seems it is not working at all.....

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/606/94090738gs3.jpg

@promey

if you export with "export skin partitions" activated you end up with a seperate ninode for every element

anyway im prolly not going to update this tut anytume soon... 1st there is no new knowledge avaible, 2nd its kinda old, 3rd its exactly how it works... just cant take in count any possible workflow for every user avaible... and 4th i cant change somin and add info if i dont even know what might have gone wrong.... telling me it doesnt work is not really helpful in identifying the problem...

Hi, I'm working on a new armor mesh, I've made the mesh, tiangulated, changed T flag to 16, updated blablabla. I copied it over the vanilla mesh, no errors looks great in nifskope, save it and when I load it in the geck, the mesh is all messed up. The texture is fine but the mesh is all spikey and such. What did I do wrong? I've tried changing the Tflag back to 0, same thing. Do you think it has to do with the bones? Do you really need to mess with them(I have no experience with these)? If so I'll probably just drop this project...

I'm sorry, you must be getting tiered of whinny mod-noob questions but any help is much appreciated.

If you having an issue with bones all that is required to import the proper skeleton.nif is to open the skeleton in nifskope and just delete every instance of an extradata block and all of the havok data and it will import without any problems. -> this is exactly what I told Jaysus to do when he asked me how I did it...

And you SHOULD be importing the skeleton and mesh in two different steps the skeleton first then the mesh without a skeleton !... the Importer almost never screws up the skinning data when you do it that way.

If you having an issue with bones all that is required to import the proper skeleton.nif is to open the skeleton in nifskope and just delete every instance of an extradata block and all of the havok data and it will import without any problems. -> this is exactly what I told Jaysus to do when he asked me how I did it...

And you SHOULD be importing the skeleton and mesh in two different steps the skeleton first then the mesh without a skeleton !... the Importer almost never screws up the skinning data when you do it that way.

how to export?

btw a nakid skeleton.nif can be found under the utilities section of the falloutnexus... :P (nananana i share my rigs :P )

@saiden

i had trouble getting the skeleton in alone... i had to load it with a mesh :/

will have to redo some tests once im back... or maybe i made a common mistake but i cant even remember what was the problem...

but i actually have no problem in loosing skinning data as i delete that mesh right away and strt making my new ones at this point... or do you mean the skeletons zform(location, rotation, blabla) and inner rigging (connection between the bones/links) gets lost or screwed? cause that could explain my pipboy problem even tho i didnt always have it with that technique...

btw since youre around... any luck or new info on animation export or particles yet?

Guys plz plz !!!! Would someone plz some good tutorial step by step with pictures.. i tryed all tutorials and nothing worked for me...

it so frustratig!!!!

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/1537-1-1230026417.jpg

this is what im trying to integrate in the game!!!