Need help identifying bugged script

Arcanejack

Hello everyone,

I've recently reinstalled and modded skyrim and, although things are going smoothly for the most part, there has been a frequently reoccurring bug I am trying to fix. I've noticed that, sometimes upon loading a new area, or perhaps after some time (still pin pointing what circumstances cause the bug to happen) my carryweight stat will mysteriously increase with no indication of why. For example, i'll watch my carryweight go from 360 to 380 after having put no points into stamina and no additional points into perks which contribute to the stat. It's now at 465 and about 100 points of the stat are completely unaccounted for by any active effects, perks, or points from stamina levels.

My question is, What is the best way to go about finding what is causing this stat to change? If I can find the mod that is causing this, I can try a reinstall or look at conflict resolution but until then, I'll have to keep readjusting my carryweight to be the proper value. The alternative would be to let the bug continue and just play as though inventory space were not a factor, but I'm hoping that it isn't necessary to resort to this. Thank you for any answers or recommendations you have.

I also get some carry weight weirdness when I load in. Usually pulling up my inventory once forces the engine to "recalculate" and my encumbrance drops back to where it should be. I think part of this is just due to little hiccups with how the engine handles multiple "fortify carry weight" spells, effects, and enchants. In my case, I have the Steed Stone, fortify carry boots, and backpacks and bandoliers, and a mod that lets me trade dragon souls for perks, including more carry weight. I've also got some pickpocket perks for more carry weight. Don't know why, but I guess sometimes Skyrim struggles with basic maths.

Do you have any mods that do things like automatically equipping headgears or shields? That would also be a possible cause, depending on the enchantment effects you have on whatever gear is being swapped in/out.

A mod list might help. If someone has encountered it before, they might be able to tell you which mod in your list is doing it.

Hey there, it's a fairly long mod list with numerous patches and files being overridden which is why I was looking for a way to see what is going on behind the scenes during gameplay. I can provide it if possible, but seeing where in the logs this stat change was being applied (if possible) would be ideal.

I also get some carry weight weirdness when I load in. Usually pulling up my inventory once forces the engine to "recalculate" and my encumbrance drops back to where it should be. I think part of this is just due to little hiccups with how the engine handles multiple "fortify carry weight" spells, effects, and enchants. In my case, I have the Steed Stone, fortify carry boots, and backpacks and bandoliers, and a mod that lets me trade dragon souls for perks, including more carry weight. I've also got some pickpocket perks for more carry weight. Don't know why, but I guess sometimes Skyrim struggles with basic maths.

Do you have any mods that do things like automatically equipping headgears or shields? That would also be a possible cause, depending on the enchantment effects you have on whatever gear is being swapped in/out.

It seems to be a different issue. The error reoccurs frequently and permanently alters my max carryweight. To be clear, it doesn't miscalculate when I should be over-encumbered, or when I'm wearing gear that buffs my carrying capacity (my character hasn't been wearing any), it's been applying permanent and stacking changes to a stat. At one point i let it continue until I was up to more than 900 max carryweight, a change which carried through over saves and restarts of the game.

Unless a mod author did not comment out some trace statements indicating such a procedure there would be no record of it happening in the papyrus log file.

Either carefully read the descriptions and comment pages of every mod you have installed to see if this has happened before or post your mod list and hope that someone else has encountered this before while using some of the same mods.

While I can think of a few mods for original Skyrim that do increase carry weight, none of them were designed to do it outside of the leveling up process. And I have no idea if they were ported to SSE anyway.

I suppose if you really want, you can find each mod that supplies PEX files. Look at the PSC version of those files (or decompile with Champolion and look at that result) for any that utilize any of the functions that set or modify actor values. Then see if any of those modify the carry weight.

Ideally, you will need to find out the exact moment that the carry weight changes. What were you doing? Did you interact with something? This could help pin point the types of mods to be looking at.

There could also be a conflict between two or more mods that are affecting each other in an odd way. And there would be no way to know that short of the methodical testing of small groups of mods at a time.

Posting a mod list can help. Someone may recognize from experience if some of your mods conflict. Even if they never had your particular issue it would still be good to know. If you do not want to post here, Modwatch can be used.

• 10 months later...

At the risk of necroing, I'm having this exact issue right now and I can't figure out what could be causing it either. Did you ever managed to fix it? I'm tired of having to use SetAv or ForceAV every few loads.

After extensive testing it seems to happen on every load into a new cell, happening no more than once per cell. The max encumbrance modified seems to happen regardless of equipment, perks or anything related to carry weight, so it makes me lean towards a dirty edit, yet TESVEdit won't show any particular conflicts or dirty edits.

Fallrim tools nor papyrus seem to show anything wrong with the save, and the stats seem to apply on a base level (directly affecting carry weight rather than adding to it) based on a few tools that review stats very simply.

Here is my mod list on Modwatch if it helps any: https://modwat.ch/u/Highwayman300

At the risk of necroing, I'm having this exact issue right now and I can't figure out what could be causing it either. Did you ever managed to fix it? I'm tired of having to use SetAv or ForceAV every few loads.

After extensive testing it seems to happen on every load into a new cell, happening no more than once per cell. The max encumbrance modified seems to happen regardless of equipment, perks or anything related to carry weight, so it makes me lean towards a dirty edit, yet TESVEdit won't show any particular conflicts or dirty edits.

Fallrim tools nor papyrus seem to show anything wrong with the save, and the stats seem to apply on a base level (directly affecting carry weight rather than adding to it) based on a few tools that review stats very simply.

Here is my mod list on Modwatch if it helps any: https://modwat.ch/u/Highwayman300

Of all your mods, the survival mode one is the most likely to inadvertently affect the max carry weight. It seems to do a lot of adjustments to various stats. I would recommend testing a new game without that mod active and / or installed.

In addition to what IsharaMeradin suggested, I recall a mod that varies your body weight based on what you eat. I don't recall all the details of it (saw it in passing in either an MXR or ESO showcase video) but it's possible it screws with carry weight too.

Of all your mods, the survival mode one is the most likely to inadvertently affect the max carry weight. It seems to do a lot of adjustments to various stats. I would recommend testing a new game without that mod active and / or installed.

Survival mod doesn't seem to be the cause, in this particular save/character or in an entirely new game since the issue eventually creeps up with it installed or not. That was my first guess too since I'm not super trusty about the CC yet but so far it never gave me much trouble.

After testing for while, it seems to be somehow related to a follower mod I'm running at the time (Lucien). Apparently it bugged out in such a way where having him around as a follower would randomly cause that, but I can't for the life of me figure out why or how. So long as that particular follower is dismissed and in another cell the issue no longer creeps up oddly enough.

I tested it with other vanilla and modded followers, but its specifically that one that's causing it somehow.