At what quest stage can you take Preston as companion?

Zorkaz

I think it's after you retook the Castle that Preston is available as a companion. I'm not sure as I don't pay attention to when someone becomes available because I never go around with a companion except when the game forces me like with Dogmeat to search for Kellog or Cait to cure her from her addiction.

Romancing Preston can be done when he has his suicide talk after the "Old Guns" quest.

Can you take him after liberating sanctuary

After you finished Tenpines, by clearing out Corvega and setting it up as a Settlement.

There you go. Which doesn't make any sense, come to think of it, since ol' Garv is too pre-occupied to run the Minutemen because he "has his hands full here" but can become a companion right off the bat? Another proof the story was concocted during a night of heavy drinking.

After you finish his first quest.Usually after claiming Tenpaines retarded-I-hate-that-place bluff.

I love Tenpines Bluff. Especially after it becomes ten times bigger with the Build High mod. It expands to the cliffs at the railway side which makes for some great spaces to add soil for crops and housing for future settlers.

Can you take him after liberating sanctuary

After you finished Tenpines, by clearing out Corvega and setting it up as a Settlement.

There you go. Which doesn't make any sense, come to think of it, since ol' Garv is too pre-occupied to run the Minutemen because he "has his hands full here" but can become a companion right off the bat? Another proof the story was concocted during a night of heavy drinking.

Oh, I hear ya, Jimmy - that just made zero sense to me as well. But hey, this is Beth, right? ;)

I think after the Corvega factory, Preston begins to see in the general more as before, besides - he is desperate.

He know, he will never be able to revive the Minutemen and he is willing to die in the state you meet him (how he later tells you at the highest affinity stage I believe). So he sets everything on one card (you) and hopes it goes well and trys to support you so good as he can, as a companion that covers your back.

... And well... If things turn out badly he dies at least in a fight with the last minutemen besides him at his side (aka. you and him). That is his mindset I guess after all he tells you in his affintiy quest.

Edited by taryl80

• 4 weeks later...

Always looked at Preston, wearing the Minutemen General outfit hidden as a punk.

Doesn't want responsibility (it's forced on him) and at the very first opportunity will offload that responsibility - willy-nilly.

At least wait until The Castle is reclaimed to punk out. At least make sure you've handed the mantle of the organization you hold so dear into not only good but qualified hands.

Dude, you realize that YOU (Preston) killed the 20ft tall irradiated lizard - right? All I did was kite him to you repeatedly.......

• 2 months later...

your comment: "Can you take him after liberating sanctuary"

Make sure to join the Minutemen at the museum after killing the Death claw. The reason I say this is because sometimes he gets bugged, and doesn't switch over to companion. If the bug happens, he will continuously give you more quest whenever clicked, but the option wheel never shows up.

Also note Piper has a bug as well. If you rescues Nick before the "Story of the Century" is completed, then you get the companion wheel but no option to finish the story.