Mod manager file overwriting!

DFBHDTS

Hi all,

Very new to all this modding stuff. But I have a bit of a problem.....

I have installed Skyrim and it's latest patch, and I also have a metric ton of mods available to select in the nexus mod manager..... However I am unsure with some mods that come up saying "do you want to overwrite the existing files" sort of thing and then a list of "yes to all", "yes to mod", "yes", "no", "no to mod" blah blah blah. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE I AM SUPPOSED TO PICK!

Any help would be great. I have a few mods on there that I know work like the night sky enhancer but can't tell with the texture packs and other stuff!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by DFBHDTS

Hey,

I don't use Nexus mod manager, but i'm sure it works similar to TesMM. The best advice i could give is to read the mod descriptions in full detail and take note of any incompatibilities, Also pay attention to the files being overwritten. TesMM has a feature that alerts you of any file overwrites and displays the relative files and mods. So it's then just a matter of deducing which part of which mod you prefer to have.

For instance, I have many OMODS that overwrite each other, because there is either an updated resource and/or variant/substitution. You should be pretty safe with textures, but some mods have major conflicts and should not be merged, It's up to you to use the MM to the best of it's ability.

The best part about using TesMM is you have finer control over your mods, And if you make all your downloaded mods into OMODS, you can simply deactivate it to leave your Skyrim installation intact. Making mod installation fool-proof.

It's also quite easy to pick parts from several mods from lose files and pack it all into one OMOD. Or you can extract lose files from a downloaded BSA file.

I'm not and expert at all, but that's what i know and it gets me by.

Edited by surg23

If you don't understand what it meant about the overwrite files, then another mod manager isn't going to help you at all. What was happening is that you had two mods that changed the same file and the mod manager wanted to know whether it was ok to over write just that one, all the files that were a part of that folder, all the files that are associated with the mod being overwritten, etc.

How you know which one to pick is by knowing what those files do and which one you prefer. If you haven't played with any of these mods and you are just trying to install them all, you will have no idea what to pick or what the consequences of your decisions will be.

Most of the time you will want to answer yes to overwrite all. That is what most mods do, overwrite something that is already in the game to make it different. This is especially true with Texture only mods - they are changing the texture (think of texture as the paint that covers an object, and the mesh as the shape under that paint) If you don't allow overwriting, that new texture will just not be in the game - it will continue to use the old one.

Some exceptions may be in mods that make massive changes - such as one that changes the terrain for an entire map region. Usually there will be an explanation in the mod read me explaining which meshes or textures you may or may not want to overwrite and the reason why.

Overwriting does NOT change any of the original content - the overwriting takes place each and every time you start the game with that mod active - if it is not active, the overwriting is not done - convenient for troubleshooting. :thumbsup:

Some mods will overwrite stuff added by other mods - this is not necessaraly a problem. you can usually force either one or the other mod to be the one shown by loading the one you want to see after the other one. SO, if there is a mod that adds or changes a lot of clothing, Then another mod that has a single particular piece of clothing that you like better than the same one in the bigger mod, Load the bigger mod first, then when the smaller one is loaded it will overwrite just that part that is the one piece that you want. :biggrin:

• 7 months later...
I would like people to learn from my mistakes, so hear this: I installed a mod and it didn't work. The texture had the missing symbol instead of being their. In conclusion, I uninstalled the mod. Now all my NPC town guards are permanently NUDE! Some mods do overwrite original game files. Please, be careful. Ps.excuse grammar and spelling. This was written on an iPod. Also, if any one knows how to fix nude guards please do tell. Thank you :)

The mod probably edits the outfit records and leveled lists used to distribute items to the guards. Wait in an interior cell with no NPCs for 31 days, which will force the guards to respawn with new equipments. Alternatively, you can just use the console and click on every guard you see, and type 'resetinventory.'

I recommend that when updating or reinstalling a mod, ideally you should uninstall the previous version first, before installing the new version (there are some exceptions to this, if the mod update does not contain the full complement of resource files for the mod). In such instances, you would select 'no' and cancel the mod installation, so you can uninstall the older version of the mod first.

If you get the 'overwrite?' prompt due to file conflicts resulting from different mods have kept their resource files in loose file format (for example, if two mods edits the same default game script, or texture replacer mods), then you can select 'yes to mod', assuming you have planned ahead and know you are installing those mods in the right order.

Edited by ripple

I would like people to learn from my mistakes, so hear this: I installed a mod and it didn't work. The texture had the missing symbol instead of being their. In conclusion, I uninstalled the mod. Now all my NPC town guards are permanently NUDE! Some mods do overwrite original game files. Please, be careful. Ps.excuse grammar and spelling. This was written on an iPod. Also, if any one knows how to fix nude guards please do tell. Thank you :smile:

There is no way to selectively remove files easily. Opening the archive and looking at the files is one way but it could be 10 files or hundreds. NMM keeps track of the installed files and in theory will remove them all. Start a new game, what happens, Still Nude? You may have to uninstall other mods that might use some of the installed files to get rid of everything. Then install the ones you want to restore the proper files you prefer.

If you can't figure it out you really have to uninstall everything and start over. If you are willing to do a lot of reading, configuring, and you can teach yourself how to do something without asking others, use Wrye Bash and install all your mods with it. Wrye Bash has a long list (over 13,300 which I made with a program to do it automatically) of all the Bethesda files. With that list there is a feature to remove all non Bethesda files, and files that don't belong to the installed mods. That completely removes the rest of the files. It does however mean you start with a fresh install because you have to use Wrye Bash to install everything or it can't track what you are installing. This set up is not ideal for beginners and those who want to use NMM to easily download mods and easily look for updates.

• 3 years later...