New Head Mesh Floating?

bananakillerBRO

If you send me the file I can take a look at it, it's always difficult to tell what the issue is when I can't look at the mesh myself.

Sure thing, got it right here- https://drive.google.com/open?id=17q-fyGwDPQv2TIlTIkFaR_ngTLKVBXHv

Just a heads up, I forgot that I named the file something...interesting, sorry.

Did you make the skeleton you are using the parent of the new head mesh? Did you bone weight the new mesh?

I'm not going to lie, I don't have a lot of experience with custom armor. I just took a helmet and put the new mesh onto it.

Do I need to do skeletal rigging?

Edited by bananakillerBRO

The link doesn't seem to work :sad:

The mesh is definitely skinned though, otherwise you couldn't even see it in the render window. So that isn't the issue.

Edited by AusAllerWelt

The link doesn't seem to work :sad:

The mesh is definitely skinned though, otherwise you couldn't even see it in the render window. So that isn't the issue.

Sorry! Does this one work? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17q-fyGwDPQv2TIlTIkFaR_ngTLKVBXHv?usp=sharing

Edited by bananakillerBRO

It's a bit difficult because there is a part to this that I don't exactly understand myself. There is a technique that allows a mesh to call for a bone without being skinned. (Quite a lot of hats and headgear items use this in the game, I never understood how this technique works in detail though) And this was the issue here. For this the object needs to have its scene root in a specific position. I fixed it by skinning the head and leaving the scene root where it is to have it appear correctly.

There is a bit of information about it here. But then again, I don't think that bananakillerBRO's mesh had a NiStringExtraData Block, so yeah, I don't know what really the issue was, I only knew how to fix it.

I'm sorry that I can't provide more than that.

Edited by AusAllerWelt

It's more than we had before, and we all have things that "I don't know how, but it works!" Then we can hope someone else comes along and adds " Oh! I know why that happens."

Thanks.

Edit: Added as "TIP Body part is floating" to the "NifSkope Mesh Editor" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent