Why We Don't See a 3/NV Remaster

ashtonlp101

So I constantly see requests for Bethesda to remaster 3 and NV like they did for Special Edition which I would also love to see but I feel as though the community doesn't distinguish the difference between Skyrim and Skyrim SE compared to FO3 and NV.

First off, Skyrim was CREATED on the creation Engine and was simply ported to an updated creation engine. With FO3 and NV they were created on the Gamebryo Engine which handles scripting completely differently and porting a Gamebryo game to a Creation Engine would be extremely difficult/buggy if not impossible. Which leaves Bethesda with two options: Either tweak the Engine that is already around FO3 and New Vegas or rebuild them from the ground up in the Creation Engine which would be on-par with making an entirely new game.

Another huge issue with simply upgrading/porting the game to a newer engine would be that New Vegas/FO3 would still need completely rebuilt. New Vegas/FO3 also use different meshes/lower quality meshes that would need rebuilt/edited which would also be very time-consuming.

So for now the truth is, I think I'd rather use 4g patchers, graphics mods, NVSE plugins, etc because I ultimately think Bethesda would likely do some BS remaster to the game like patch the exe to support 4g, upgrade textures to 2k and maybe upgrade to a 64 bit system just to turn it around for $40-60.

There are also lot's of issues in terms of copyright (Textures, Sounds) and other things.

New Vegas isn't even from Bethesda itself so that complicates issues.

Also why spend a lot of time and money on remastering old games (Which a lot of people would only buy in sales) when you can direct energy into making a new TES game.

Oh, it could be done if Beth wanted to.

But Beth seems to be on a self-destruction path right now. Not really sure what is going on, 2/b honest. Though I have some personal opinions. But apparently they want to self-implode and seem to be on the semi-fast track doing it.

Hey Beth ( even though I know you don't read these ... ) IF you ever want to talk ... I'll talk w/you folks for free ... normal I changed ( semi-retired ) $150.00 hour. But I hate seeing what was a good company implode.

Another huge issue with simply upgrading/porting the game to a newer engine would be that New Vegas/FO3 would still need completely rebuilt. New Vegas/FO3 also use different meshes/lower quality meshes that would need rebuilt/edited which would also be very time-consuming.

It has been done. See: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/images/116625

It has been done. See: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/images/116625

Wow, that is impressive! I stand corrected!

But Beth seems to be on a self-destruction path right now. Not really sure what is going on, 2/b honest. Though I have some personal opinions. But apparently they want to self-implode and seem to be on the semi-fast track doing it.

Hey Beth ( even though I know you don't read these ... ) IF you ever want to talk ... I'll talk w/you folks for free ... normal I changed ( semi-retired ) $150.00 hour. But I hate seeing what was a good company implode.

Corporatism is one helluva drug.

Corporatism is one helluva drug.

Or .. FAN BASED .... ( which I guess could be the same thing ). The thing is, IF a company wants to stay in business and profitable, you have to take care of your current client ( fan ) base and build good products to bring in new clients ( fans ).

IE:

The Ford Mustang ... it's still out there. Some of the models were BIG HITS and some were BIG Sh.t Piles.

And when Fallout 4 came out, the writing was on the wall. When Fallout 76 came out ... well ... as they say, " .. the rest is history .. " I'm still not seeing a lot of RAVE over Fallout 76. Oh, don't get me wrong ... there are a few positive reviews, but those are far and few between.

I cannot help but wonder how much of their fan ( client ) base would return and even be willing to pay a $10.00 - $20.00 upgrade for Fallout 3 and NV?? I know I would!

10.00 X 100,000 = $1,000,000.00 right there, and I know there would be more than 100,000's people. :D

Bethesda farmed FNV out to Obsidian, and there may have been more work farmed out by both Bethesda and Obsidian to make different models, textures, etc. Getting everyone to agree on the rights would probably be a huge nightmare. I doubt that it will ever happen.

Bethesda has turned into a pure money grabber. Ironically, it's making me not want to give them any money at all. So no, I wouldn't pay $10 to $20 for an upgraded FO3 or FNV. Whoever the genius was at Bethesda who decided microtransactions were a good thing, well, the rest of Bethesda can thank them for my new opinion that Bethesda can shove every new product they have right up their backsides. I guarantee you a remaster of FO3 and/or FNV would include all kinds of microtransactions and loot box type nonsense. Yeah, no thanks. Not interested.

If Bethesda would stop being a sleazebag money-grabber, I would start buying things from them, but I very much doubt that's going to happen.

It's a shame. They used to be THE top-notch RPG company. Now they don't even make real RPGs any more.

All they want is money. They can't have mine. I don't pay for crap.

Bethesda farmed FNV out to Obsidian, and there may have been more work farmed out by both Bethesda and Obsidian to make different models, textures, etc. Getting everyone to agree on the rights would probably be a huge nightmare. I doubt that it will ever happen.

Bethesda has turned into a pure money grabber. Ironically, it's making me not want to give them any money at all. So no, I wouldn't pay $10 to $20 for an upgraded FO3 or FNV. Whoever the genius was at Bethesda who decided microtransactions were a good thing, well, the rest of Bethesda can thank them for my new opinion that Bethesda can shove every new product they have right up their backsides. I guarantee you a remaster of FO3 and/or FNV would include all kinds of microtransactions and loot box type nonsense. Yeah, no thanks. Not interested.

If Bethesda would stop being a sleazebag money-grabber, I would start buying things from them, but I very much doubt that's going to happen.

It's a shame. They used to be THE top-notch RPG company. Now they don't even make real RPGs any more.

All they want is money. They can't have mine. I don't pay for crap.

Bottom Line is this: IF they would listen to their fan base, which they ARE losing .... they WOULD - COULD make a lot of $$$$$$$. But apparently they are more intent in shooting themselves in the foot and bleed out the $$$$$ they want to earn!

I hope Bethesda does NOT add to the growing evidence, " You cannot fix stupid. "

Obsidian made the new assets for NV in-house. (Sawyer talked about this somewhere either on Tumblr, Twitter, or the now defunct Springforum.)

Bethesda had a company called Liquid Development make most if not all of the assets for Fallout 3, judging by the very general screenshots they have on their portfolio page.

Either way I'm pretty sure Bethesda owns the rights to all of that content. You don't give a sub-contractor that kind of leverage.

OP is correct in that the biggest, likely only thing standing in the way of a port/remaster is that the games would need to be remade entirely. That's an especially big issue for NV. They'd need a team to spend a year just researching what is even in the game that needs to be translated.

Or you build a new custom engine that feels almost entirely the same to work with, minus all the bugs and limitations, like what the folks over at OpenMorrowind are doing.

(I mean theoretically you could "remaster" the games on the old engine, maybe even add new graphical effects since they have the source code to work with, but that would invariably a very underwhelming product, even before considering the potential "Bethesda Factor.")

Edited by Radioactivelad