Fallout 4 Horizon 1.8 Crashing in Boston

Brotherofcats

I have been this iteration of Fallout 4 for about 90 hours, built a lot of settlements, with frequent crashes that I was able to play through. When I got into Central Boston the game kept crashing. No way I could get near the Library. Also, Preston has stopped giving me quests, and the first one from Scribe Hallen was Trinity Plaza, which I am sure will crash my game. I play Fallout 4 extensively last year with 90% of the same mods with no problem, but using Horizon 1.7.6. I wanted to try the new Horizon out, and love it, but the crashes have gotten to the point where I can't stand it. I was getting a lot of crashed with Diamond City Expansion, and Wry Bash informed me that the body replacer for Diamond City Expansion was in the wrong place, after I had moved that mod to the bottom of my load order to clear up the mesh and textures disappearing in DC. That cleared up my crashed every place but Central Boston. I also know that Armorsmith Expanded is said to be incompatible with Horizon. It said the same thing for 1.7.6 and the game ran fine. Now I have a bunch of percombined clothing mods that have to have Expanded that I want to keep. If I have to I will take them out and try to find the versions that don't need Armorsmith Expanded. Anyway, if anyone with knowledge of modding could look over my load order and give suggestions, I would appreciate it. Warning, Adults Only.

System: I07 8 core at 3.2 Ghz, Windows 10 64, 128 GB Ram, twin GTX 1080 Video Cards SLI with 16 GB Vram, running game through MO2 Portable instance. Load order in attached file. Some mods were disabled ealier, but I keep them in MO2 in case I want to install them later. Thanks. Now, I'll just play No Man's Sky until I get some good advice.

Hello from Greece.

While searching for mods, put, up and right at search the word Horizon and you find all the Horizon patches for other mods. i don't use Horizon because i don't want to change anything at the game and also i want to keep using all my favorite mods. Horizon i think, have a long road to become good or perfect and also i think that many of modders don't want to make Horizon patches for their mods. About crashes maybe be a Horizon conflict with a texture mod you install, if you install that kind of mods. Also, if you have install many mods, more than 230 or more, the game is going to crash and continue to crash. Also if you have install a, add new enemies, the game is going to crash, because the game can't handle too many people around.

if someone tell you, he using 300 or 400 or more mods, that is because he using merge mods. The game can't handle more that 255 mods, include both, esl and esp files.

Well, this is my opinion. i hope i help. That's all. Thanks.

Hey, my Greek Friend. Thanks for the reply. I have played Fallout in the past with almost 400 plugins and Skyrim with well over 400 (with ESLs) and those games didn't crash all that much. And I played with Horizon 1.7.6 without many crashed, so I don't think ESLs over the limit is crashing it. I'm looking into what mods I can live without and will disable them, then try again using a trick I learned from Lexy's LOTD for Skyrim. COC to different locations and see is the game crashes.

A repeatable crash when entering an area is most often a mod conflict. It also happens sometimes, when you have many settlements, that the provisioners get stuck or bump into each other, causing traffic jams. Sometimes, I climb the highest point I can find neighboring the area and look around with a scope to identify the problem. If I can identify the problem, I can sometimes remove it with the console "moveto" command.

Journeyman: I only had seven settlements at the time (Santuary, Abernathy, Ten Pines, Sunshine Tidings, Graygarden and Hangman's Alley, with Home Plate which was not really a settlement yet). Anyway, I removed a lot of my mods and started over, while adding in weapons mods that went with the newest version of the Horizon Weapons Patch. I deleted all of the mods that went with Armorsmith Extended and the AE mod itself, then got rid of any of the settlement expanded ESLs that Horizon touched itself, and then anything that I really hadn't used. Installed Bethini. Played for six hours yesterday with no crashes. The workshop opened much faster even though I had the same number of mods. So I cleared and built in Sanctuary, used Horizon to fix the roofs and bridge, got Dogmeat and Wasteland Barb to help me clear out the Raiders in the Museum and save Preston and the others, then estab lish them in Sanctuary. I went to Abernathy and picked up that quest, then acquired the M79 GL at Gorski's cabin. Still no crashes. Then I went to Olivia and took out the Raiders and got the Locket. I went to Ten Pines, picked up that quest, and then walked to the Cemetary to pick up Heather Casdin. The game crashed just as I was approaching Heather, and none of the save games made after Olivia would load. This morning when I started up the game it gave me a message that my load order was broken, so I ran Loot again to make another file, moved a few files and refreshed my Bash Patch. I reloaded the game from Olivia and headed for Ten Pines, and the damned game crashed. Posted my new load order here. I guess the next thing to try is conflict resolution patches, something I'm am not good with. I really want to play this game, but doing the first seven hours over and over is not an option.

I see no problems with your files except that you have a lot of expansions (ConcordEXPANDED.esp BeantownConcordExpandedPatch.esp GoodneighborExpanded.esp ImmersiveBeantown.esp) which might conflict with each other.

Also, those ESLs are prone to conflicts. . I would try replacing some of them with ESPs. I use the ESP version of some of those settlements without any problem.

If that doesn't work, you might loading the whole thing into Vortex, which is pretty good about spotting conflicts.

Edited by Wererommel

Wererommel: I'm thinking it is a settlement mod conflict. Playing with my new setup, played for six hours without a crash. Then, trying to fast travel to Abernathy farms, the game crashed every time. I tried walking there and got a crash again. I played with all of those expansions last year and never had a problem, but this time Horizon messes with the build zones. First I will try some conflict resolution patches and see if that helps.

Everyone and everything crashes in downtown Boston at one time.

ESL files are treated as masters, that's why they are loaded after all esm plugs but before all regular esp files. As such they don't "lose a conflict" because they're not considered when checking for errors/conflicts because of their 'Master' status and they cannot be loaded after an esp they possibly depend on.

I've never used Horizon or Sim Settlements because of the known crashes due to conflicts and the fact you need a patch for almost every other mod you have installed. I'm currently running 662 mods (454 plugins) without conflicts and hey, I have the ocassional crash in Boston, especially around Swann Pond and when following the Freedom Trail past Goodneighbour and ye Old North Church with the Old Granary burrial place (has a bus parked in front with Ghouls attacking) being a crash hot-spot.

And please, don't switch to Vortex. Worst advice you can get. You'll get into more trouble than you can handle. Vortex does an awful job at 'solving' conflicts from the moment you have more than two mods that tackle the same thing or area because it can't handle the fact that some mods need to get loaded before and after one another at the same time. I'm using NMM and there the needed assets are kept while the conflicting ones get overwritten.

Also please copy/paste your load order between spoiler tags in your initial post.