Textures showing in Nifscope/CC, but not in game.

From looking this up I realize that this is a common issue, but I can not find a fix for this. Most every time I find the same issue in a post they give various reasons for why, there's a discussion about what's not working to fix it, and then it either gets fixed and there's no real explanation or the post is abandoned. I have not been able to find anything that helps with this issue.

Here's the situation, I made a new fatman ammo that shoots exploding deathclaw eggs instead of mini nukes and mirelurk egg grenades based on the frag grenades. The weapons work fine, the recipes to make them work fine, but if I try to change the colour of the eggs nothing works. I tried material swaps in the creation kit and that didn't work so I made new textures based on the original textures (I recoloured the egg dds files). I've made new BGSM files based of the original egg BGSM files, i've gone into nifscope and pointed the NIFs to the new files, put everything in the appropriate game files, and made everything work as far as Nifskope and CC are concerned but in game the textures just revert back to their originals. This also happened like this when I tried colour swapping the textures in CC, they looked fine in CC, but reverted back to the original textures in game.

At this point I assume it's either an issue with the new information not being read properly by the game (probably because I did something wrong) or it has to do with weapon animations somehow. Either way, I can't figure out what the issue is. If anyone can help me figure this out that would be great and really appreciated.

BTW, this is a random Easter mod I started making on Easter.

Ok, I've been messing around and trying different things and nothing I've done has fixed the issue, but apparently if I drop the items the new textures work. If i pick up the items and try to use them the textures revert back to the original in game textures.

What is going on here?