Are any vanilla, non-quest dungeons worth exploring?

ainulaire

What it says on the tin.

I've finished all the vanilla content for my "good" mage character for my very first playthrough (14 years late, I know) and I'm looking into quest/world mods to add to my game.

But before I download any of that, I was wondering if there are any vanilla dungeons worth checking out "as is" that aren't related to quests simply due to more unique structures, interesting puzzles, or some other dynamic that makes them stand out from the usual cave/tower/fortress. The amount of enemies isn't an issue, I'm more interested in the landscape or how enemies act within the landscape.

(And if there really isn't, I'll start downloading better dungeons and lots of quest mods.)

Thanks in advance.

It may be quest-related but also check out Arkved's Tower. Upside down rooms, giant furniture etc.

The tower is quite interesting one, though it's quest-related(for certain Daedric Prince).

Many of them are, and are at least worth running for the ability point build, loots, and gold. Every new character I make I just start running zone by zone clearing all non quest dungeons before starting any quests and get the points up and levels high enough that the quest ones give mass loots commpared to low level. Thats about all most are really good for though

• 2 months later...

i've really been digging the thought of creating some custom dungeons all flooded and such and as the player removes a artifact have umpteenth undead arise from the water and the entrances slam close w/ porticusses. i really dig puzzles myself ... can't remember the name of the quest, it's in Bravil and the dreamworld. that seemed very challenging and interesting.

i dig the traps in the Ayleid ruins ... but if yo boo-hiney gets smushed against a ceiling, you should be dead, dead, dead.

MOO adds a great deal of challenge ... starting out it's damn near impossible. i play advanced right now, yet thinking of stepping it up to nightmare. the goodies have to get better though. trying to work on a mod now to alleviate that gap of all fight and no reward ... scripted loot.

i guess in all, for me, it has to be a constant challenge or i just get bored ... i dig the visual aesthetics too, but that's secondary.