Need help with a large amount of specular map files.

GroggyBeholder

I am currently trying to create a mod that completely disables Fallout 76's specular maps (I am asking about it here since both Fo76 and Fo4 are structured the same way when it comes to bgsm files).

I can use the material editor to change every bgsm file's specular multiplier to 0, but that would take an insane amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of some work, but manually changing 16,000 files is a bit beyond me. Is there a way to overwrite all of this with a global multiplier? or to change multiple material files at once? maybe the creation kit has a function for it that I'm just too blind to see.

The new updated lighting makes everything look extremely wet. Only a few people seem to have noticed so I don't think anything will be done about it officially. I generally prefer everything to be more matte and muted as opposed to shiny and high on contrast so I wanted to take things into my own hands. I know removing all speculars is a bit extreme but even that would satisfy me at this point. The most optimal solution would be to change the specular modifier to something between 0.1 - 0.5, but that might not be doable on such a large scale.

Edited by GroggyBeholder

Just changing the specular multiplier across the board to one value would be pretty extreme. There are certain materials that come with a multiplier of 6, while others have a really low one close to zero. So that would screw up a lot of stuff. I don't know if it's possible to write a script for xEdit to adjust the multiplier levels. Maybe, if it's possible, someone with more knowledge of xEdit could be able to write you a little script. If you have to do it manually, I would recommend to just look at the most used materials that you don't like and adjust the values manually. There are some that are used for almost all architecture.

It looks wet because Fallout 4 does thing completely different to Fallout76. Xedit would be useless in this scenario as it's not just the .bgsm's that you'd need to edit using something like the Material Editor mod, the .nif files would also all have to be manually edited via Nifskope. An automated way of doing this doesn't exist (to the best of my knowledge) due to the varying differences in values throughout every single file.

Fallout76 uses a slightly different rendering pipeline (with BGS finally implimenting actual PBR textures) To get those meshes to look correct in Fallout 4 would require brand new specular textures to be made for every single mesh you wanted to import, using the previous (psuedo-PBR) older method employed by Fallout4.

Needless to say, that's a massive timesink.