Dark Souls Rage

hoofhearted4

hot back into Dark Souls recently, for PS3. been a while since ive played, but now ive been back at it for about a week now.

anyways, went into the Painted World. finished it with no problems, no deaths. got out. killed the Guardian thats just outside. went to pick something up from him and it launched me back into the world. i accidentally turned around on the bridge and right behind the player is a hole in the bridge and you fall to your death. even worse is my bloodstain spawned outside the Painted World. my first qualm is here. i understand the Stain not being exactly where you die, but when you completely change worlds/areas, the next save for your bloodstain should be right at the beginning of the world...ok soo ive got a bloodstain with just over 100k souls not in the world im in. homeward bone just brings me to the start of the world (not even the bonfire lol) so i gotta go through it again. luckily i unlocked the door for the shortcut, go through, do the little trick to get back the Dragon Corpse on the bridge. look down, no enemies so i dont bother using an Estus Flask (i had lost some health killing the Phalanxes) but as soon as i drop, all the enemies pop in and as soon as i land, the giant Black Knight drops his mace on me. normally he spawns a little further back, but not this time. but im still alive. so i run all the way back past all the little minion dudes, and turn behind a pillar to Estus. but an arrow manages to hit me somehow and stops it halfway. then Black Knight drops his mace again. im still alive but barely, and before i could Estus again, another arrow hits me.

weve all lost our share of souls before. this isnt even my most lost (though its gotta be close) and im sure some of u have lost more. it just really pissed me off that my bloodstain spawned outside of the world and that the enemies did a pop in. had i known they were there i would have healed and done a drop onto the Knight. couple of stupid game mechanics/bugs that lost my souls. even worse is that when it takes 25k to level up, those 100k souls woulda been enough to finally top of my Endurance.

but yea. there is my rage, i feel better already (not really). well im gunna grind the Phalanxes so i dont feel so bad loosing souls.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing 100k souls used to be no big deal, but now they don't even have any efficient places to grind for souls, they severely nerfed all previous grinding spots, the humans in the forest don't give nearly as much. I lost around 90 million souls one time, but even that wasn't a big deal, I just dragon head glitched more. :whistling:

Honestly I don't like this game anymore. They made too many changes that I thought were perfectly fine as they were.

Now if I want to level up some PVP builds on the PS3 version, I basically have to wipe the data, then start over non-patched, just so I can level up 5-6 characters to the 100-120 range and gear them out with the bottomless box glitch. I'm far beyond the point where the regular game is no longer interesting or challenging for me and is nothing but a massive grind put in the way of me making some PVP builds. I've been sticking with the PC version, even though its less active just because I can accomplish what I want more efficiently. I'm done with the PS3 version, its simply not worth my time.

Edited by Beriallord

thats why i liked Demons Souls. it was never patched. sure you had some stupid glitches like RFS and stuff. but the great glitches like Duping (esp the Thomas Dupe Glitch) were perfect. the only reason ive played Demons Souls sooooo many times was because of Duping. getting all my stones, upgrading everything and getting mass amounts of souls pretty fast cause of duping, made making new characters fun.

dark souls had that with the BB Glitch. personally id rather not have to grind for items, then have to grind for souls. so to me BB Glitch was better then the Dragon Head Glitch (though having both was nice). but From just keeps patching all this stuff up and is seriously ruining their game. they just needed to leave it alone. the community wouldnt find this stuff if they didnt want it.

i went back to play it for fun. play the new DLC (ps3). but i can tell you i probably wont go back to it again (at least not for a long time) when im through with it. there is just no fun in having to redo characters from complete scratch every single time.

dark souls had that with the BB Glitch. personally id rather not have to grind for items, then have to grind for souls. so to me BB Glitch was better then the Dragon Head Glitch (though having both was nice). but From just keeps patching all this stuff up and is seriously ruining their game. they just needed to leave it alone. the community wouldnt find this stuff if they didnt want it.

This is why I like PC games. Unless you're playing against people online, or the game has some sort of silly Anti-cheat mechanism, you can usually do those sort of things with a memory editor or trainer. PS had gameshark... But they got a bug up their butt because of online gameplay when they could have just hard coded something in their system, or through the online signin to block connection if a cheating device was present. My personal belief is that it is better for those bothered by such things account for it's inevitability, rather than go to ridiculous lengths to try and stop it (GT4 trade duping for example). Sometimes you just don't want to play the game the way it was intended.

thats why i liked Demons Souls. it was never patched. sure you had some stupid glitches like RFS and stuff. but the great glitches like Duping (esp the Thomas Dupe Glitch) were perfect. the only reason ive played Demons Souls sooooo many times was because of Duping. getting all my stones, upgrading everything and getting mass amounts of souls pretty fast cause of duping, made making new characters fun.

i went back to play it for fun. play the new DLC (ps3). but i can tell you i probably wont go back to it again (at least not for a long time) when im through with it. there is just no fun in having to redo characters from complete scratch every single time.

I played Demon's Souls for 3 years on and off, and it was always easy to get back into. I liked invading, and fighting other players more than playing the actual game. The same thing with Dark Souls. I didn't cheat like using the running firestorm glitch on anyone, or swap casting, it was always a legit fight.

Huge difference is duping items which can be obtained normally, and using exploits in online play to win like running firestorm. Firestorm was crazy OP in Demon's Souls, if you got a mage build, its pretty much guaranteed 1hko unless you got second chance up. Very few people used it though. The thing about it if someone does use it, its not a full aoe, its got blind areas, which means if you can initiate a backstab animation before you get hit with one of the pillars you can take them out. As cheap as it was, its plenty defeatable, even the running firestorm, if you know how to counter it.

see for me, i just like going through and making new characters, new buildings, and using different weapons. all of which were easy in Demons Souls, both because of duping, and because weapons werew easier to obtain due to the level based worlds. in Dark Souls, if i want say a Silver Knight Sword, i have to beat half the game to get it. no other way around it. plus on top of that no duping from a previous build anymore (which solved that problem) makes replayability, esp in the form of Roleplaying, almost nonexistant.

I just picked up Dark Souls the other day but haven't played it yet. I've heard the stories of the game's difficulty but is it genuine challenge or is it the difficulty a result of trial and error gameplay and a general lack of straightforward information about where to go/what to do next? I've seen countless people playthrough Dark Souls but I am wondering once you know what to do in a given area does the game become any easier?

Also as a Dark Souls noob, what is a good build to start off with? I know going mage or thief is suicide your first time through.

is it the difficulty a result of trial and error gameplay and a general lack of straightforward information about where to go/what to do next? I've seen countless people playthrough Dark Souls but I am wondering once you know what to do in a given area does the game become any easier?

exactly this. to a tee. you arent really told where to go at first. you could end up going the wrong way and go to an area above your level. an area is only difficult, and the game in general is only difficult, until you know what you are doing. once you know how enemies attack, its extremely easy to evade. or as a new player, extremely easy to block. with a good shield, the game isnt all too hard until the bosses. coming from Demons Souls myself, going to Dark Souls wasnt too difficult. took a bit to learn the new areas enemies and bosses, but the tactics remain the same.

Also as a Dark Souls noob, what is a good build to start off with? I know going mage or thief is suicide your first time through.

actually, mage is one of the easier builds for a noob because Magic is very very strong. though i think it was nerfed a little in the latest patch, but im not sure. Pyromancy was OP when the game first came out then nerfed lol. its alright now, but not worth putting to much time into. Magic however, can be very good when built for it.

my first play through i used a Priest/Faith character (as i do in most games) hes not as strong as he was in Demons Soul (Faith build was mad good in Demons Souls) but still good. he starts off with Heal, which for a new player is invaluable. use it during the level, and save your Estuses for the Bosses. His weapons when upgrade through the Divine Path do a respectable amount of damage. they also do magic damage, which in some cases is good and in others not so good (like when the enemy is resistant to magic for example) however Divine weapons will be a godsend in the Catacombs. Divine weapons kill skeletons permanently, whereas normally they respawn indefinitely until you kill their Pyromancer host guy. so imo, a Priest/Faith build is one of the better builds for a new player to start off with because of the Heal Miracle and the Divine Weapons.

I'll have to look up that build before I dive in, it sounds like an easy and beginner friendly build. Is it viable at end game or is there like a way to re-spec into a more combat based build?

I'm really getting antsy not being able to play Dark Souls after buying it a few days ago, I've been stuck at home for winter break but hopefully I am heading back today so I can actually play all the games I bought recently.

I'll have to look up that build before I dive in, it sounds like an easy and beginner friendly build. Is it viable at end game or is there like a way to re-spec into a more combat based build?

theres not much to the build. just put points into Faith and Vit and End lol. and some into Attunement so you can hold a few miracles. there is no respecing in Dark Souls. as far as late game goes, everything is going to be strong late game. its NG+ where it gets harder. but as long as you have a good weapon then youre fine. Faith doesnt deal the most damage but it deals good damage. just whatever you do dont put more then 40-50 points into Faith. after that its diminishing returns.

as for which weapon you should use is up to you. i personally used the Flamberge (semi-rare drop from Lightning Snakies in Sens Fortress) decent move set and damage and Bleed is really nice against the bosses/enemies it works against. i also like the Man Serpent Greatsword (better moveset imo, drop from the other Snakies in Sens) and i think a little more damage. but keep in mind, these weapons are kind of slow. another good early weapon is Astoras Straight Sword. scales with Faith a little and has the Divine ability for skellies. is a straight sword, so fast moveset. and can be grabbed at the very beginning of the game with the Master Key.