Dark Souls Rage

hoofhearted4

Well I finally started playing and holy hell people aren't kidding about this game's difficulty. I tried going through the graveyard part in Firelink Shrine but after dying a couple times I decided to venture down into the New Londo Ruins instead. Is there some kind of cursed item I need to find that allows me to attack the ghosts down there?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally started playing and holy hell people aren't kidding about this game's difficulty. I tried going through the graveyard part in Firelink Shrine but after dying a couple times I decided to venture down into the New Londo Ruins instead. Is there some kind of cursed item I need to find that allows me to attack the ghosts down there?

You were going the wrong way to start out. About all you can do in those areas early on is run like hell and snag whatever loot you can find. If you have the master key you can unlock a door in the non-haunted part to get a shortcut to Blighttown and Wyvern valley.

For killing the ghosts, you either need to be cursed (half health), use a transient curse item (which lasts about 5 minutes), or use a cursed weapon (the ghosts drop daggers on rare occasion (There is one other weapon obtainable in late game, but I forget which)). You need to be cursed, or under the effect of a transient curse in order to block or parry ghost attacks. You cannot do much down there before you have the lord vessel and you have the ring to survive the abyss, so there's no point in wasting transient curses.

You'll probably find the undead burg/parish to be much easier after having tried to survive those areas atleast.

You were going the wrong way to start out. About all you can do in those areas early on is run like hell and snag whatever loot you can find. If you have the master key you can unlock a door in the non-haunted part to get a shortcut to Blighttown and Wyvern valley.

For killing the ghosts, you either need to be cursed (half health), use a transient curse item (which lasts about 5 minutes), or use a cursed weapon (the ghosts drop daggers on rare occasion (There is one other weapon obtainable in late game, but I forget which)). You need to be cursed, or under the effect of a transient curse in order to block or parry ghost attacks. You cannot do much down there before you have the lord vessel and you have the ring to survive the abyss, so there's no point in wasting transient curses.

You'll probably find the undead burg/parish to be much easier after having tried to survive those areas atleast.

So from Firelink where should I go? I can either go through the graveyard, or go down to New Londo Ruins but is there another pathway to take? I know you can fall off the edge but is that where I should be going from Firelink?

haha its funny, i told you you could end up going the wrong way, and you did!!! lol

um. lets see. facing away from the stairs that lead you down to New Londo Ruins from the Bonfire in Firelink, walk straight and to the right. youll see stairs going up and thats where you go. the Undead Burg.

gl hf

playing the DLC and the new enemy, Stone Guardians, have the mechanic i HATE the most in Dark Souls, Tracking. when i roll passed their swing, they should not be able to turn 90 degrees mid swing to bring their axe down on me. lol ive already died like 3 times in the new DLC, and lost a good chunk of souls too. its even tougher with my build as i dont have a shield. im 2h the Dragon Greatsword. and with only 34 Strength i cant use a shield so i only have the roll to protect me, which doesnt work too well against them cause of their insane tracking. the sword itself offers a little protection when i block with it, but not against those enemies lol.

This is probably a stupid question but if you die with no souls and you had previously died with a large number of souls collected are you able to retrieve the ones from a previous death? I would assume not but worth asking considering I haven't been able to find out yet.

playing the DLC and the new enemy, Stone Guardians, have the mechanic i HATE the most in Dark Souls, Tracking. when i roll passed their swing, they should not be able to turn 90 degrees mid swing to bring their axe down on me. lol ive already died like 3 times in the new DLC, and lost a good chunk of souls too. its even tougher with my build as i dont have a shield. im 2h the Dragon Greatsword. and with only 34 Strength i cant use a shield so i only have the roll to protect me, which doesnt work too well against them cause of their insane tracking. the sword itself offers a little protection when i block with it, but not against those enemies lol.

I'm sure you've tried already, but you should roll away instead of to the side.

Edited by Rennn

(Minor spoilers)

You can do three things to fight ghosts:

1) Use a Transient Curse. It's a consumable item that allows you to fight ghosts, and it's by far the best way to deal with them. The downside is Transient Curses are rare.

2) Kill enough ghosts, and they can drop a Jagged Ghost Blade. It's short, but it's fast and it'll always hurt ghosts. The downside to this is that your shield still won't work, since only your blade is cursed.

3) Become cursed yourself. Certain enemies, like the lizard-frogs with huge eyes, can curse you. While cursed, you will be able to fight ghosts, and you can block their attacks. It's just like using a transient curse, except your health is cut in half until you find a way to free yourself of the curse.

Still, it's a good idea to handle the Undead Burg and Undead Parish first. Those are much more friendly to new players. You can trigger a couple useful events even without special gear in the New Londo Ruins, but for new players it's probably not worth it unless you really want a fast way into the Valley of Drakes or Blight Town.

Edited by Rennn

playing the DLC and the new enemy, Stone Guardians, have the mechanic i HATE the most in Dark Souls, Tracking. when i roll passed their swing, they should not be able to turn 90 degrees mid swing to bring their axe down on me.

It's the upheaval part that was getting me most of the time.

For the guardians, you kinda have to roll just at the right moment or roll away and get a hit in after the upheaval. There are a couple other ones in the expansion that require late dodging. It's likely their effort to make the expansion even more unforgiving.