Trouble With Removing Voiced Companion Dialogue

COLBudManstrong

Hello all. Completely new to GECK/FNV modding as of about 2.5 hours ago. I've been playing (and loving) FNV lately, but I'm getting a bit annoyed at the voiced character dialogue every time I want to give them an inventory item. For example, when I open the window to give items to Veronica, sometimes she'll ask if I'm giving her a dress, which is cute, until you've heard it for the 3000th time.

So I figured removing this was something achievable with GECK. I have installed GECK (Can confirm it's setup and pointing to the right base/DLC data files), and setup a shortcut to run it through NVSE (Not sure if that's required, but it seemed recommended from some searches I did)

After a bit of searching, I found the block of code in VeronicaSCRIPT that seems to check if she's been given a dress, and if not, plays that line of dialogue. So far, I have tried:

Each way I have tried still results in hearing the line of dialogue once I load up the game with the "mod"/.esp activated. I tried following a basic GECK tutorial earlier to give my character food when their health was =< 50, and that worked, so I don't imagine it's anything to do with my setup itself (GECK, MM2, my FNV install). I assume it's just that the base game is overriding my changes to my .esp file?

At this point, I'm looking for any clarification on if this is even doable, if I'm doing something wrong in GECK itself, the way I'm editing the script, or how I'm saving/loading the .esp into my game.

Alternatively, I would just remove/replace (with empty audio clips) the actual dialogue audio files if I knew where to find them. Unfortunately, I was only able to find ambient noises, NPC SFX, etc.

EDIT: Added some clarification about what wasn't happening when loading the "mod".

Edited by COLBudManstrong

Have you seen the "Dialogue and Lipsynch" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article?

Haven't looked, but most likely that is a "Greeting". See "TIP Multiple Greetings". Suggest you start by just setting the "Say Once" flag for that line of dialog. After the first time she will pick a different line. (Though to be real, eventually you will get sick of whatever line is the "final choice".)

-Dubious-

Thanks dubiousintent, that's exactly what I needed! I went in and swapped out the two FollowsTrade topic dialogue audio clips with the XXXPlaceholder sound, so now it's just silence. When I first poked around the Dialogue window from an earlier search, I only saw one item in the Topics tab, but now I see a good number of topic items. Your help is greatly appreciated!