Modding file application

ZMorriz

Hey yall,

I just recently built a PC and am getting back into the scene. I have never downloaded and attempted to install mods of any kind before. There are a couple mods for Mad Max which I want to download and install on my steam copy of the game. I did a manual download of one of the mod files here on Mod Nexus and when I tried to open it, I was told by Windows that it cant open the files because I don't have an application cable of doing so. Do you have any suggestions on apps that can open that file for me? I'm assuming that's what it means. and secondly, how would I install this mod into my steam version of the game so that I can use it in game?

Sorry if this has been covered in a different section of the forums or if i'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm just a little lost/confused as to how this all works. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit if that helps.

I have generally been a fan of 7-Zip for opening archived files. The files inside the zip just need to be placed within the correct file structure (usually just drag and drop or check the read-me).

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I'll give 7-zip a try. So in regards placing/drag dropping them. How would I place them within my game file on steam? or would the read me tell how to do that?

I think I have Max Max installed, what mod are you looking at? I can go check it out.

Awesome, that would be a great help. it's this one https://www.nexusmods.com/madmax/mods/24 The Black on Black car skin mod. It says the mod requires Resorep to work, which I downloaded from the provided link on the mod page. After downloading it, it doesnt open like a normal application. I open it with 7-Zip and there are so many random files which I have no idea what to do with. If you could walk me through applying this whole mod in general that would be a life saver lol it's honestly the only mod i'v really been wanting since the game never came with a true "black on black" colour for Max's car.

I have downloaded the mod and the folder just contains dds images. (that is what you open with 7-Zip)

For the required program to install the files (which I have never heard of before now) it appears that it is a Java executable (is the extension .jar?). Once you unzip the program you will select the correct folder and execute the .jar file with your java runtime installation. The video (below) appears to mention visual C++ requirements also which you likely will have with graphics drivers anyways.

I took a quick look and this video seems to explain it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QjnLKXErBg

• 2 weeks later...

I have downloaded the mod and the folder just contains dds images. (that is what you open with 7-Zip)

For the required program to install the files (which I have never heard of before now) it appears that it is a Java executable (is the extension .jar?). Once you unzip the program you will select the correct folder and execute the .jar file with your java runtime installation. The video (below) appears to mention visual C++ requirements also which you likely will have with graphics drivers anyways.

I took a quick look and this video seems to explain it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QjnLKXErBg

Hey man,

Got caught up with a bunch of work stuff. I'm going to try and figure it out this weekend lol. If i don't get it i'll shoot you a DM if that's cool?