Really want robot from concept art created.

ImmortalAbsol

This idea is one possible answer to a question I've had for a while now... "Why no civilian model/version of the Assaultron?" - I mean seriously, a big company like RobCo, are they really going to design a robot that they can only really sell to ONE buyer? That's not good business, so I can see then having a downgraded version based on the 'core tech' of the Assaultron, but without the 'Military specific' hardware (or software), but still running a tweaked version of the same OS (for simplicity and to save time & money). Having a 'cleaner' set of body-paneling more reminiscent of automotive styling, and coming with a variety of "tool hands", this bot would be focused specifically on manual labour (farming for sure, but also construction, hazardous waste handling/disposal, etc).

The first hurdle is of course the name, since even if it does have parts interchangeability with the 'Assaultron', it is clearly NOT one, so a new "civilian market" name would be needed... I haven't had my morning tea yet, so the best I can come up with there is "Labortron"... ^^;

I second the idea of 'Automaton compatibility' as well - If only because this might be a good way to have a 'lore legitimate' "male version" of the Assaultron - Without the Military stuff crammed in, RobCo were able to redesign the torso without the 'bust' of the Military model. So yes, it would still be Assaultron 'inspired', but the torso piece would actually be completely separate part, with its own component and armour options. The arms and legs could be similarly 'streamlined', maybe being a bit bulkier overall, but less 'curvy' and less optimised, being intended for versatility rather than the single (combat) role of the parent design.

Which leads me to my 'final' idea on this whole subject - HANDS! - This bot is designed to be able to take the role of a general HUMAN labourer after all, so it stands to reason that it would need 'equivalent functionality' to a person, including the ability to pick up and use tools (and other equipment) designed for use by humans - Humans with HANDS. Now, these hands can't be *too* advanced, they have to be cruder than the Gen.1 synths still, but they CAN be a 'missing link' design that is somewhere between the claws of the Assaultrons and RoboBrains, and the 'human inspired' hands of the Gen.1s - In my mind I'm seeing only three fingers instead of four, without a separate 'fingertip' joint (so two 'knuckles' rather than three). All three of these fingers would be identical in form (shape, length, etc). The 'fun trick' they would have is that the joints can go either way, allowing the hand to function as either a 'left' OR 'right' with no structural changes (saving money again, but also increasing modularity and simplifying maintenance/replacement). The 'thumb' would me similarly designed so it can 'flip' from one side of the hand to the other as needed.
The obvious advantage of these 'hands' is that while perhaps better suited to tools (such as a sledgehammer), it at least *could* hold and use a firearm (I see the AI and animations would still err more on the side of melee combat, but it would still be *slightly* more versatile than the near melee-only programing of Assaultrons). Of course, the 'downside' (if you could call it that), would be that these 'hands' are not modding friendly, meaning extra functionality can not be given to the hands themselves (no 'shock' versions or anything of the sort).

Anyway, thats my 'brain dump' on the whole idea... Sorry for the 'text wall'... ^^;

~JD

PS: Unique voice with a 'midwest farmers drawl'! :P

Edited by JonarusDrakus

Well if you sir check my images( last one i uploaded is the one :D) thats what i imagine hands would need to be. Mostly resembling prostetics since its pretty much designed for humans . It has 3 fingers and gives it the look you imagined i believe :)

I always wondered why there are Emergency Services Protectrons and not Assaultrons.

You just gave me *another* idea - specifically for a new Assaultron 'hand/weapon' - The "Assaultron Riot Control Shield (ARCS)":

Basically, it's a collapsible riot shield built into a 'gauntlet'. It's made of some kinda fancy electro-plastic that is as rigid and hard as the solid plastic of IRL riot-shields when it has an electrical current running through it ((engaged automatically whenever the robot enters combat, and de-activated once combat is over)). When there is no current, the plastic becomes soft and flexible, allowing it to much more easily 'fold up' into its compact 'passive' form. Of course, there would be an upgraded version with a higher level of power running through it that causes melee energy damage (less than an actual offensive weapon, but still something), with a chance to stun.

The "Assaultron Helmet" armour piece already has opening/closing modes and animations based on combat state, so that part shouldn't be TOO hard to apply to the shield... The real issue would be creating new AI and animations for the various robots to be able to use the item properly.

...I really should start sketching up some of this stuff - I can 'concept art' well enough, and indeed, have done such with weapon designs before (just not for Fallout)...

~JD

I always wondered why there are Emergency Services Protectrons and not Assaultrons.

You just gave me *another* idea - specifically for a new Assaultron 'hand/weapon' - The "Assaultron Riot Control Shield (ARCS)":

Basically, it's a collapsible riot shield built into a 'gauntlet'. It's made of some kinda fancy electro-plastic that is as rigid and hard as the solid plastic of IRL riot-shields when it has an electrical current running through it ((engaged automatically whenever the robot enters combat, and de-activated once combat is over)). When there is no current, the plastic becomes soft and flexible, allowing it to much more easily 'fold up' into its compact 'passive' form. Of course, there would be an upgraded version with a higher level of power running through it that causes melee energy damage (less than an actual offensive weapon, but still something), with a chance to stun.

The "Assaultron Helmet" armour piece already has opening/closing modes and animations based on combat state, so that part shouldn't be TOO hard to apply to the shield... The real issue would be creating new AI and animations for the various robots to be able to use the item properly.

...I really should start sketching up some of this stuff - I can 'concept art' well enough, and indeed, have done such with weapon designs before (just not for Fallout)...

~JD

Sounds very ambitious animation wise. Animation is very long and very time consuming. I think It might be better to create a riot shield for it. Period. And give it decent animation to use it would be HUGE step forward since said animation could then be modified to use with the player character.

~JD

Sounds very ambitious animation wise. Animation is very long and very time consuming. I think It might be better to create a riot shield for it. Period. And give it decent animation to use it would be HUGE step forward since said animation could then be modified to use with the player character.

Can i animate using blender? Maybe there is a way i dont know about. Dont really an autodesk guy :P As far as i know nifplugins are broken , but ive never heard/read of animation exporters

I've seen other people animate in blender before - various transforming weapons from RWBY and the like... So it's definitely possible - But transferring those animations so they can actually show up in-game? There ARE 'animation mods' for Fallout 4 as it is, I'd suggest tracking down one of those mod creators and ask them how they got them to work.

~JD

• 1 year later...