FOSE or not to FOSE

Egor17

I am running FO3 from GOG. I downloaded the .bin files and installed it myself.

I have found that if I use FOSE it crashes a lot. So I went back to older versions of FO3 that I have installed. (Heaps of TB's to spare) And they were the same. All 3 copies. If I don't use FOSE they rarely crash.

I have 60+ mods on each copy, just different combinations for different builds.

The only common is FOSE. When used, crash galore. When not, runs till I exit most times.

So for me at least, it's the script extender that is causing the problem.

I also don't understand where the idea of a limit to the number of mods comes from. As said mine runs fine with over 60 mods. The only difference it should make is on load times. As far as I know there was never a counter added to the base program to count mods.

I did find the Unofficial Patch to be great for minor fix's and extended ram to 4GB makes a huge difference for smooth running.

So, kind of wondering if it's a quirk on the 2 computers I have (one runs win 7 the other win 10) or other people have found the same.

The game was designed to handle a theoretical 255 combination of .esm and .esp files. The base game and DLCS count against this total.

However, in practice, the limit is about 130 +/-, depending on various additions. It could be lower but never higher, despite what some will claim.

60 files in the Data folder is not that many that you would have equipment problems. If you don't have the game installed in Program Files.

I currently run about 120.

Win10 needs additional work for FO3 mods to work. I have seen some workarounds posted in the FO3 forums. Usually in the troubleshooting forum.

Edited by M48A5

The game was designed to handle a theoretical 255 combination of .esm and .esp files. The base game and DLCS count against this total.

However, in practice, the limit is about 130 +/-, depending on various additions. It could be lower but never higher, despite what some will claim.

60 files in the Data folder is not that many that you would have equipment problems. If you don't have the game installed in Program Files.

Win10 needs additional work for FO3 mods to work. I have seen some workarounds posted in the FO3 forums. Usually in the troubleshooting forum.

There was a file handle limit of 512, it was recently fixed with mod limit fix.

There was a file handle limit of 512, it was recently fixed with mod limit fix.

That mod limit fix allows a total of 255 and is stated on the description page.