SL8 mod

dedstrok34

More info about this rifle:

It's a Heckler and Koch SL8, which is a civilian version of the Heckler and Koch G36.

There's a G36 mod here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56125

The mod is by Millenia, who does not allow modification of his mods except by permission. The SL8, while mechanically similar to a G36, has a significantly different stock design. The SL8 uses a fixed stock where the G36 has a military style folding stock. The SL8 also does not include the carrying handle type setup of the G36 and instead features an iron sights scope rail setup.

You are correct that the SL8 uses 5.56 ammo. The default is a 10 round single-stack magazine. The magazine in your picture looks to me like the larger 30 round double-stack.

Since it is a civilian weapon, it is semi-auto only. If you want full auto, get yourself a G36. :smile:

I don't have the time to adapt it, but there is a free 3d model available for the SL8 here:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/low-poly-hk-sl8-62d9fe2fc954448ebca61fbd90a0aece

Modifying a weapon mesh is not a trivial thing to do. You need to know how to use the GECK. You need to know how to use a 3d modeling tool like Blender or 3ds Max. You need to know how to use texture modifying software like GIMP or Paint.Net (must be able to handle dds files). There's a lot to learn. It's much easier to start with adding simple static objects to the game.

There are a lot of little details for weapons that you have to get right or things don't work. The weapon's animations won't play properly. The sights will be off. Bullets will come out of someplace other than the end of the barrel. Shell casings will spawn somewhere other than anywhere near the weapon's ejection port.

There are links to tools and tutorials here, but this isn't something that you can just scan through a tutorial and then whip up a new weapon this evening.

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Getting_started_creating_mods_using_GECK

I did not download the 3d model that I found, so I don't know if it is UV mapped or if it uses materials. FNV doesn't use materials. The model has to be UV mapped. If I recall correctly, the model was in fbx format.

The version of blender that works with FNV is 2.49b. This version does not handle fbx files. So porting the model over to FNV is going to be a two-step process. First, you need to convert it to some intermediate format that blender 2.49b can import, like obj. So for that, you'll need a newer copy of blender. I use 2.79 but there are later versions of blender available (I haven't bothered to upgrade lately). Load the fbx into the newer version of blender, export as obj. Load the obj into the older version of blender, and export it as nif.

Now you have a weapon that you can put into FNV, but it won't animate properly. The easiest way to get all of the bits in the right place is to start with a similar weapon, like the service rifle, and keep the trigger and a lot of the various weapon nodes. Delete the stock/barrel part of the nif, and copy your new nif into it. Now adjust all of the nodes and rename all of the bits as necessary to make them work.

The tutorials will have all of the details.

If you have never used the GECK, blender, nifskope, GIMP, etc. then you are probably going to be a bit overwhelmed. If you keep plugging away at it you'll eventually figure it all out (hey, if a dummy like me can do it, anyone can, right?), and you will be able to make all sorts of mods for FNV, and other games as well, since the process is very similar for many Bethesda games. Just be aware that there is a lot to learn. It's not a skill that you can pick up in a single afternoon.