The game stutters with sound enabled (on Windows XP don't ask why lol)

The gist of it is that, i disabled the sound in the Oblivion.ini and the game doesn't stutter, so it's definitely sound related and i vaguely understand what's the cause and solution.

I had that pesky stutter on multiple Oblivion installs, so i reinstalled Oblivion a lot...and one day i just so happened to download the X Codec pack with the MPC-HC video player for movies/anime consumption...and in result when i got the urge to play oblivion again and try to fix the problem, the problem was already fixed.

The only thing i could figure out is that, when i played oblivion with the X Codec pack installed, there was a LAV Splitter icon in my system tray when i exited Oblivion and the game didn't stutter anymore

So, some time down the road i messed up the game with mods, like i usually do...and had to delete the game, but consequence to that i gave Fallout New Vegas another try.

And lo and behold the same LAV Splitter icon in the system tray when i exited FNV... but the icon didn't do any fixing in FNV, i think it made things worse. after about 10 minutes of playing FNV the game became unresponsive to the point i couldn't move the mouse cursor and most of the time could not for the love of god CRT+ALT+DELETE to kill the exe process. So i had to hard reboot my PC every time that happened, which was a pain in the ass. But if i did manage to kill the process i saw two identical LAV Splitter icons in the system tray and i "think" that made my game so unresponsive.

So the smartass here thought "why not just cut the filters folder from the X Codec Program Files folder, paste it in My Desktop and it'll be all fixed, so i can paste it back in when i decide to reinstall Oblivion again" Well that did remove the duplicating icons in FNV but, in result now that i gave Oblivion another try there are no LAV Splitter icons when exiting Oblivion, and yet again my game stutters at the start of every sentence from the prisoner in the cell opposite to you, and don't even make me start on the rats.

And for information(pasting the filters folder back into X Codec folder didn't bring the icons back, to absolutely nobodies surprise) nor did reinstalling X Codec Pack completely.

And before anyone suggests the Quiet Feet mod...i'd rather not use the mod because like i said, when the LAV Splitter icon was in the system tray when playing Oblivion, there were no sound related stutters whatsoever, so the mod is not needed.

!!!Now were at my vague understanding of the cause and solution section...[stuttering WITHOUT the LAV splitter icon, no stuttering WITH the LAV Splitter icons]!!!

Im pretty much baffled on what to do next, tried reinstalling X Codec Pack multiple times and even gave K-Lite Codec Pack a try, which didn't bring the icons back unfortunately, i then uninstalled the codec pack and set windows media player to the default player so it handles MP3 files, yet it didn't fix the stuttering.

So i BEG of you, if there's anyone out there that can help me find my missing LAV Splitter icons and bring them back home...PLEASE do, it would be massively appreciated.

Edited by chunkfhunk

Already posted this wall of text on Reddit r/Oblivion...i dragged and dropped the text and it went invisible, so you'll have to select the text to highlight it...i'm sorry for the inconvenience this is my first post on Nexus Forums.

Edited by chunkfhunk

No idea on the LAV problem but what I do when pasting something copied off a web page is I paste it into Notepad first and then copy from Notepad and then paste into the forum page (pain in the backside but Notepad strips all the extra coding stuff that tagged along with the web "copy" step so you're just pasting plain text into the forum page).

No idea on the LAV problem but what I do when pasting something copied off a web page is I paste it into Notepad first and then copy from Notepad and then paste into the forum page (pain in the backside but Notepad strips all the extra coding stuff that tagged along with the web "copy" step so you're just pasting plain text into the forum page).

Fixed it...thanks for the information, much appreciated!

Edited by chunkfhunk

Google is of little help on digging into the LAV problem ... I take it you are using an onboard sound chipset, not a discrete sound card.

Google is of little help on digging into the LAV problem ... I take it you are using an onboard sound chipset, not a discrete sound card.

Yeah i found nothing for my LAV problem on google as well...correct, no sound card in this rig.

Edited by chunkfhunk

Back when I had a laptop (non-gaming) with RealTek for sound I ran into a situation where a Microsoft update broke things. After resolving that little bit of typical MS mischief I would only use RealTek's site for driver updates.

Where I'm headed with this theory is that in between the first time that the LAV "solution" worked and this time Microsoft has worked some of their "magic" ... ya, I love to hate Microsoft.

Back when I had a laptop (non-gaming) with RealTek for sound I ran into a situation where a Microsoft update broke things. After resolving that little bit of typical MS mischief I would only use RealTek's site for driver updates.

Where I'm headed with this theory is that in between the first time that the LAV "solution" worked and this time Microsoft has worked some of their "magic" ... ya, I love to hate Microsoft.

You think it's my RealTek acting up??

But i don't think RealTek has anything to do with LAV Splitter...

I'm not all that tech savvy so i'll explain it in my caveman way....LAV Splitter icon when playing Oblivion, no stutter.

No LAV Splitter icon, stuttering...that's about as much as i could figure out on what's the cause and solution.

Oh, and if you were heading towards ''the LAV solution wouldn't work because Microsoft updates'' if i understood that correctly, do mind im on XP which is not supported anymore, so what if the ''LAV solution'' WOULD work, because XP hasn't been updated and changed in years.(if i completely misunderstood where you were going with that, then just ignore this text lol)

Edited by chunkfhunk

Yes I was implying the possibility that the LAV solution worked before but not now because of some Microsoft update.

Now in light of the fact that you are on WinXP two questions ...

How long are we talking about between the LAV works it's magic days and the present situation (i.e how many months and/or years)?

Even though MS turned off support for WinXP, do you still have automatic updates turned on in WinXP or is updates set to either off or notify me?

Just because they aren't creating any new security patches for WinXP doesn't mean they won't go out of their way to automatically screw up your working setup with their random "improvements" (that Realtek "update" from Microsoft turned out to be a multiple version downgrade from what I could figure out when troubleshooting that issue ... granted years ago and on the POS OS Vista).

Yes I was implying the possibility that the LAV solution worked before but not now because of some Microsoft update.

Now in light of the fact that you are on WinXP two questions ...

How long are we talking about between the LAV works it's magic days and the present situation (i.e how many months and/or years)?

Even though MS turned off support for WinXP, do you still have automatic updates turned on in WinXP or is updates set to either off or notify me?

Just because they aren't creating any new security patches for WinXP doesn't mean they won't go out of their way to automatically screw up your working setup with their random "improvements" (that Realtek "update" from Microsoft turned out to be a multiple version downgrade from what I could figure out when troubleshooting that issue ... granted years ago and on the POS OS Vista).

First question: In the ball part of a about three or four weeks?, not hundred percent though.

Second question: I have all automatic updates disabled...nothing gets updated on this PC without my consent.

Edited by chunkfhunk