Strange Questmarker/Waypoint Crash

Lately i am getting constant crashes when i have a quest activated and the waypoint changes because i have completed a quest "step". I did not have these issues in the start of my play through and i did not add any other mod in my load order. I only updated JohhnyGuitar, NVTF and the ModLimitFix. Using the older versions of these mods cause no difference to the crashes. The crashes are instant (CTDs).

Example of crash:

-I have the quest "They went that a way" activated.

-I go to Boulder city and talk to Jessup.

-The quest updates/completes - Game crashes.

+Same quest, another activated in the pip boy.

-I go to Boulder city and talk to Jessup.

-The quest updates/completes. No crash.

Example with mod quest

+New Vegas Bounties Quest activated

-I kill the target

-Take the finger (waypoint updates) - Game crash

+Other quest activated

-I kill the target

-Take the finger - No cash

I cant find what causes these crashes in my mod list. I have attached the right and left panels of MO2.

Thing i have tried: Disabling all UI mods (section UI in the modlist.txt), just mods assorted, Stewie tweaks, New Vegas reloaded and using older versions of the three updated mods.

Any help is welcome.

My initial suspect would be "Mod Limit Fix" because it is so new and some reports of CTDs in the comments by a few users. First, you need to do some troubleshooting to pin point the source so don't try to continue your quest playthru until this is resolved. If you can, determine a save prior to the first CTD and make a copy so you can resume your game from that point if necessary.

Then try disabling MLF by moving or renaming the two DLL files it installs into the "Data\NVSE\Plugins" folder, load the current save where the CTD occurs, and see if it still occurs. If it does, then make sure you have the latest version of MLF (v2.5), re-install it and try again with it enabled. That version is supposed to prevent CTDs, but if not then post a bug report to the author with the log it generates. Some people found it helped to reduce the number of file handles allocated by MLF down from 2048, so that is something you can try. Suggest you make adjustments in multiples of 8.

If MLF is not the cause, perform the same test with each of the other mods you have recently added.

-Dubious-

Probably its MLF. Changing the DLL into a .noload makes some meshes to not load in game. The strange thing is that the crashes happen when the quest marker is pointing to a NPC in an interior cell. I'll do some more testing and i will report to Iranrmrf.

Thank you for your response.

Update: I started a new game with MLF disabled. The CDT still happens. I guess its time for a no quest marker playthrough.

Edited by DarthBlender

Thanks for reporting back about MLF. (Mixed feelings: would have been simple if the latest version fixed things, but now it's been eliminated as a cause.)

Something else must have changed during the last playthru then. In general, if you haven't changed anything about your game and it suddenly stops working correctly you need to look to other causes: such as software updates to Windows, programming libraries such as ".Net", or hardware drivers. Older games eventually get dropped from product testing. It is also possible you are having problems with your hard drive. It never hurts to run "chkdsk" and an anti-virus scan.

FYI: If you recently had a Windows system update, you only have 10 days to revert to the previous version if you decide to choose that option.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article.

"NVAC - New Vegas AntiCrash" error log entries are described on the "Description" page. This an important log for "in-game" errors. Some are intended to assist mod authors; while others are there to help "you, the player" trying to resolve a problem. You are interested in the entries which are NOT automatically handled successfully by NVAC. Key entries to look for are the following "letter codes":
* "e" entries are Exceptions handled specifically by NVAC's targeted code changes
* "h" entries are exceptions identified Heuristically by NVAC's "global" exception handler, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "m" entries are "Middle of nowhere" exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "ñ" entries are Null instruction exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "n" entries are Null pointer call exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "o" entries are stack Overflow exceptions, usually handled unsuccessfully.
* "q" entries are program self-termination information; these are effectively crashes.
* "u" entries are Unhandled exceptions reported from the Unhandled Exception Filter; these are crashes (and the NVAC author wants to hear about them).
* "v" entries are unhandled exceptions reported by NVAC's "global" exception handler; these are crashes.
* "w" entries are informative, relaying exception information as it passes through New Vegas's final exception handler.
* "x" entries are critical errors in Windows exception data; these entries should never occur.
* ":" entries are output from OutputDebugString calls.
* ";" entries are output from the game's own error checking.
Other codes may be of interest, but are not things the player is likely to be able to resolve, They are useful for informing the author of the mod to aid them in fixing their plugin. In particular, pass along the
* "_" entries are informative, relaying that NVAC was loaded and the base address of various DLLs
* "!" entries are informative, relaying human-readable text for the user
entries.
Any error codes found in the log but not listed on the mod "Description" page should be reported to the NVAC comments page.

-Dubious-