Not Having True Grass Destroys Load Order

ACSpiral

I've been replaying Fallout 4 for a little bit now after just having finished reinstalling a bunch of mods and I've been using a test playthrough to find issues and iron them out. So far it's been great. But now I've discovered a big issue.

I was just now trying to test out some snow and winter mods so I disabled True Grass by l00ping so that the snow could apply to the land correctly. Doing so messed up a bunch of my other mods. For example, my character lost their hair and eyebrows, eye packs stopped working so I just had vanilla eyes, wearing certain modded outfits would make the body invisible, Pip Pad was invisible. These were just the things I noticed when loading the save, so I didn't explore to see what more its affecting. It even prevents this mod from working and all it does it disable creation club messages on the main menu, not even affecting anything within a save. I even kept that mod enabled while disabling every other mod, and it still doesn't work without True Grass. Starting a new game doesn't even fix anything either.

The True Grass mod page has its posts tab hidden (which in my opinion shouldn't even be allowed) so I can't find out if others are having this issue or if the author is aware, which is why I am here now.

True Grass is dependent on nothing and there are no mods in my load order that depend on it. It requires no ini edits and has no special install instructions. Nothing in my load order conflicts with it (which wouldn't matter anyway if its supposed to be disabled). Re-enabling it will bring everything back to normal as if there was never a problem.

I have no idea what could be the issue and how a simple grass mod could affect the whole game like this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: Solved. Solution copied from my reply below

"I don't have a Textures folder in Fallout 4's Data folder because Mod Organizer doesn't actually place anything into the data folder, therefore not actually replacing and deleting any files. This was why I was confused as to how TG could possibly replace other mods textures since overwritten files aren't actually removed from MO's "data folder". So I went and looked at where the mods are stored and all the textures were the ones that came with their respective mods, as it should be with how MO works. So this gave me the idea to remove each file within True Grass until I ran into the problem. Everything worked until I removed the TrueGrass.ini. So I took a look inside the ini and realized something.

Sigh...

TrueGrass.ini has the text you're supposed to put into Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

So I checked my Fallout4Custom.ini in Documents/My Games/Fallout4 and sure enough the edit was there where I put it. I then checked the copy that MO keeps within itself and, unlike the original copy, this one didn't have the necessary edit. So when I ran the game through MO it was relying on the edit within TrueGrass.ini to make the rest of the mods work.

I am upset that this was the issue all along. I didn't realize that MO's copy of the ini wasn't a complete copy of the original one and thought the edits would carry over to the MO copy."

Edited by ACSpiral

I assume this is saying make a new profile without TG enabled? Because the user says they copied the mods they were "having issues with" over to a different profile. But I'm not having issues with other mods, it's just with this one mod. Anyway, I tried a new profile because I didn't have any other profiles set up besides the default one, and I still run into the problems of not having TG enabled.

Edited by ACSpiral

This sounds like a very bad mod. Apparently, they replaced a lot of common textures with custom textures. You may need to reinstall all your mods.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3780450-fallout-4-invisible-or-missing-textures/

I'm not sure what in that thread I was supposed to look at. They're all discussing issues installing mods, doing it manually, and the very first steps to activating mods. They don't mention anything about a disabled mod ruining their load order. Also how could this mod possibly replace the textures of other mods? Isn't that exactly what MO is supposed to prevent? Especially if it's affecting mods that don't have textures.

As for reinstalling everything, I was afraid it'd come to that and was really looking to avoid that considering I just did it. I just tried reinstalling some smaller mods while TG was uninstalled and everything else was disabled and they still didn't work. I wanted to test it that way before I commit to a full clean out of my load order, or even full reinstall of the game. Is there anything I could try that isn't just as much or more effort than a reinstall?

Edit: my goal is to not use True Grass of course after all of this. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to without reinstalling everything.

Edited by ACSpiral

Check out Fallout 4/Data/Textures. There are many textures, and you can replace the missing ones manually. But it's a big task.

I don't have a Textures folder in Fallout 4's Data folder because Mod Organizer doesn't actually place anything into the data folder, therefore not actually replacing and deleting any files. This was why I was confused as to how TG could possibly replace other mods textures since overwritten files aren't actually removed from MO's "data folder". So I went and looked at where the mods are stored and all the textures were the ones that came with their respective mods, as it should be with how MO works. So this gave me the idea to remove each file within True Grass until I ran into the problem. Everything worked until I removed the TrueGrass.ini. So I took a look inside the ini and realized something.

Sigh...

TrueGrass.ini has the text you're supposed to put into Fallout4Custom.ini:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

So I checked my Fallout4Custom.ini in Documents/My Games/Fallout4 and sure enough the edit was there where I put it. I then checked the copy that MO keeps within itself and, unlike the original copy, this one didn't have the necessary edit. So when I ran the game through MO it was relying on the edit within TrueGrass.ini to make the rest of the mods work.

I am upset that this was the issue all along. I didn't realize that MO's copy of the ini wasn't a complete copy of the original one and thought the edits would carry over to the MO copy. Thank you for your help and giving me the ideas that made me realize this.