Aiming to buy a new PC for Skyrim SSE - specs

BlueGunk

I'm aiming to buy myself a new gaming rig. I'm an Intel and Nvidia guy, and the spec in the spoiler below is intended to be wrapped around my existing Gigabyte Nvidia 2080 o/c 8GBVram card. (Just before you haul me out on a missing card :laugh: )

I want to burn Skyrim SSE at full 4K where possible, loaded with mods, and not have CPU bottlenecking, etc.

Now before you guys and ladies say it, I know the Bugthesda engine is optimal at self destruction so the game will do all it can to wreck the concept, there is that and let's just leave it there.

I play other games like Assassin's Creed (odyssey, etc) and want to run HDR on those.

The Soundblaster card is to try and get away from the appalling Realtek bugfest that runs Windows onboard sound.

Obviously the PC meets other needs I have, too. I've already got a couple of SSD drives to plug in the case from my current set up.

Please take a look at the specifications in the spoiler. I'd love to hear if this seems good PC set up. Please don't pry me away to AMD or other stuff. I'm not going back to that. Have myself some scar tissue over that stuff.

I'd also like to know any opinions on a really hot 4K 21:9 screen, too.

Being an older guy, this is likely to be my last PC so I want to go out in a blaze of glory (so to speak).

Thanks!

Spec:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 14 Core Processor i9-10940X (3.3GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Storage Drive
1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Intel Optane Memory
64GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY (X299) - USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy Rx
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on DVD
Office Software
Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2019 (1 Digital License)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Seems solid enough, although all those SSDs and hard drives was causing my head to spin. (however, the company offering Chrome as if it wasn't already free as air kinda bugs me)

I'd recommend updating WIndows to Pro, but whatever.

Thanks! I currently run Windows off an SSD for my C drive with good results. My main storage is a traditional platter, though 5200rpm. I tend to have an array of SSDs as my other drives with games on.

Chrome? It's just which browser you want pre-loaded, that's all. It's not a costed item and I could leave it off if I wanted. I can't really get on with Firefox or Edge though Firefox is probably the best.

Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Games are really helped by the cpu processor speed rather a surplus of processor cores.

Meh, my 3.6GHz 9700k is more than fast enough to provide me with gaming at ultra settings. I have a bunch of 4k textures, although admittedly not "everything" is 4K

Granted, if budget is of no concern, just buy the latest greatest proc, although you should try not to be disappointed a month after it arrives, when it's superceded by the next upsell choice

PC Master Race! Console Peasants can burn in hell

Lol, it's not a war. Consoles suffer from their fixed nature and the console makers purposeful limitations (you know, so they can sell their next console, and their next game version that will only run on the next console...)

I bought my first console and the only console I'll ever buy for only one reason. GT5 wasn't offered on the PC platform, and at the time, I was recovering from a serious assault and was pretty-well homebound (and going absolutely stir crazy), so I couldn't get my normal fix of taking a drive in the country...I'm glad GT6 came out before Sony abandoned support and moved onto the next version and next console.

PS> consoles for Skyrim are just never going to compete with Skyrim on "real" computers. Not meant to insult or denigrate them, it's just a simple fact.