Small Modding Project for MW5 - Questions regarding UE Editor

ugliestbeing

Hello,

after a hiatus from modding in general i decided to get back into it with MW5. last couple of days i played around with the Provided Editor, getting eventually somewhere but there are some questions wich i hope can get answered by someone with more experience in UE editor and modding MW5 in general.

Beside i got no experience what so ever with UE editor - as i said - i managed to get my head around it to accomplish nearly what i wanted but on one hand i would ask if someone could tell me if the way i done it was correct, troubleshoot me a little - an on the other hand i have a more in depth question regarding my project.

I wanted to make an new mech variant for the Marauder with altered stats as there are:

1) altering Weapon hardpoints - change the 4 Energy weapon Hardpoints in the Arms to light ballistic Hardpoints

2) altering structure points to mimic the heightened room requirement for the ammo feed and stuff

3) supress some hardpoints wich i do not want on the variant

4) create a loadout for the variant

5) configure the hardpoint visuals to the altered weapons

6) the variant must not overwrite an existing one to make it compatible with other mods adding mechs

as of my understanding everything regarding point 1 is stored in the *.HPS and *.MDL files

Point 2 and 4 is in the *.MDA file

Point 4 is in the loadout file

so to get this working in the game without overwriting another variant i have to copy->paste->rename (inside the editor) the HPS, MDL, MDA and loadout files plus the "unit card". then i "save to mod" all the files.

after editing the files i have to "export to *.json" for all files except the "untit card".

just to be sure i want to ask if i got the referencing and setup in the files correct:

- the loadout gets references from the MDA file.

so i set my mod MDA

- the MDA gets references from the MDL file

set my mod loadout File.

I deactivated the option to read from "mechstats" and "mechhealthstats" files and edited the values inside the window directly to minimize the potential dependency creation for files altered by other mods -> is this a problem?

- the MDL file Pulling in info from the HPS file

set my mod HPS file

- the Unit card links back to the loadout file

are there to this point any obvious errors, missings or stupid things on my side?

any hints where to start if the new variant does not show up in game but works flawless in the editor?

so there is point 5 in my list and there it gets over my head what i can do with the provided editor: there are no weapon models for the Marauder to fit on the arms. is it possible to copy->paste->rename weapon models from other mechs and edit the node points (where the weapon model attaches to the mech model) inside the editor or do i have to get the Raw models (ported to *.fbx i think) and edit them in 3DS Max?

any help or pointers would be highly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to learn this type of mod too.

In the current version of the game I cannot get the values placed on thE MDA to appear in the game. This is with the "table value" deselected. I created all new files for a new variant but it is not recognizing it in the drop down box.

I am trying to learn this type of mod too.

In the current version of the game I cannot get the values placed on thE MDA to appear in the game. This is with the "table value" deselected. I created all new files for a new variant but it is not recognizing it in the drop down box.