OWB CIU Dialogue crashes

The only mod I have installed in my game is TTW, and before I had installed it I had no issues with talking to the CIU. I'm hesitant to remove TTW for the sake of one crash because FNV is way more stable than FO3, however if I'm not able to solve this issue I may just do it. Anyone know if there's a fix? I've tried looking stuff up but I'm not seeing any real discussion about it.

The absence of discussion is generally an indication that you are experiencing a problem unique to your setup (e.g. a "mod conflict") rather than a problem with the design or implementation of TTW.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article.

"NVAC - New Vegas AntiCrash" error log entries are described on the "Description" page. This an important log for "in-game" errors. Some are intended to assist mod authors; while others are there to help "you, the player" trying to resolve a problem. You are interested in the entries which are NOT automatically handled successfully by NVAC. Key entries to look for are the following "letter codes":
* "e" entries are Exceptions handled specifically by NVAC's targeted code changes
* "h" entries are exceptions identified Heuristically by NVAC's "global" exception handler, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "m" entries are "Middle of nowhere" exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "ñ" entries are Null instruction exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "n" entries are Null pointer call exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "o" entries are stack Overflow exceptions, usually handled unsuccessfully.
* "q" entries are program self-termination information; these are effectively crashes.
* "u" entries are Unhandled exceptions reported from the Unhandled Exception Filter; these are crashes (and the NVAC author wants to hear about them).
* "v" entries are unhandled exceptions reported by NVAC's "global" exception handler; these are crashes.
* "w" entries are informative, relaying exception information as it passes through New Vegas's final exception handler.
* "x" entries are critical errors in Windows exception data; these entries should never occur.
* ":" entries are output from OutputDebugString calls.
* ";" entries are output from the game's own error checking.
Other codes may be of interest, but are not things the player is likely to be able to resolve, They are useful for informing the author of the mod to aid them in fixing their plugin. In particular, pass along the
* "_" entries are informative, relaying that NVAC was loaded and the base address of various DLLs
* "!" entries are informative, relaying human-readable text for the user
entries.
Any error codes found in the log but not listed on the mod "Description" page should be reported to the NVAC comments page.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

The only mod I have installed in my game is TTW, and before I had installed it I had no issues with talking to the CIU. I'm hesitant to remove TTW for the sake of one crash because FNV is way more stable than FO3, however if I'm not able to solve this issue I may just do it. Anyone know if there's a fix? I've tried looking stuff up but I'm not seeing any real discussion about it.

I can only go on what you posted and not what you did not post.

1st - Did you install TTW and start a clean new game?

... Your wording is not clear on this.

2nd - Did you insure that you have ONLY TTW mods or mods that clearly state they will work with TTW?

... When I first tried TTW - I found certain mods that I thought should work, as there should be no issues, did NOT work and did cause issues.

TTW - is very picky and more than not will only work with mods that are TTW compatible and/or state clearly there should be no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, blast from the past. This was also an issue with the old "Requiem for a Capital Wasteland" mod back in 2012, which was the precursor to TTW (different team, different name, same basic concept).

Back then I tracked the issue down to a dialogue check from FO3 that used a function to check to see whether Flack or Shrapnel's shop dialogue should be available in Rivet City. If this function was used in a dialogue condition, talking to the OWB CIU would crash the game. I was able to fix it in Requiem, and I'm sure the TTW team has fixed it in TTW as well, so my guess is that you've either added or removed something that has re-exposed the same issue.

Sorry I don't remember more details, but it's been 8 years since I last saw this issue. Hopefully this will help you track down the cause.

EDIT: Looks like this is fixed in JIP LN, per the TTW FAQ. See here: https://taleoftwowastelands.com/faq#SinkCrash

Edited by justen99