Make the branch or version of the game a necessary field for mod authors

JoTheVeteran

One concern I would have with this suggestion involves those cases where a mod supports more than one version of a game.

Here are a few different instances to consider:

1) A mod is not affected by game version changes. Should the author continually retest/update the version listing as new versions of the game are released? If so, how would players who choose to stay on a previous version of the game know that the mod would work with their (older) version?

2) A mod requires updates for some new game versions, which would require them to create a whole new mod listing for each game version they intend to support. As it is, I think most authors simply offer different sets of files and advise users to download the one that matches the game version they have installed.

While I can understand that such a feature may be useful in some cases, it could present more problems in other situations.

Well, technically, yes. That is the correct course of action when distributing any product, you need to be exact.

Still, they can always write in the description something along the lines of:

"My mod has been tested, and is compatible from version 0.45, to version 1.21"

Which is highly unlikely, mods break in every version, but is still a possibility.

If the players want to stay in an older version of the game, this checkbox makes makes it so much easier for them to find the correct version of the mod for their game.

The listing stays as is, I never said nexus needs a redesign. In each file you'd have the correct game version compatibility box, a stamp of approval from the mod author themselves.

I don't see any problem other than, that the mods already in the nexus will all become "unverified". But you'd still be able to download, and play. They won't get banned, or deleted.

Or modders could just support the current version of the game, like Arthmoor & Co do for the Unofficial patches, to avoid having to keep dozens of version up because of those people who refuse to update "Because Reasons".

I don't agree with that. Any version of the mod should still be there, just specified that their work for X version of the game by the checkbox.

The listing system of nexus is fine as it is, it shouldn't change.

A reason for not updating the game, or mod is that it simply changes. Some people need a change when start to bore, not before.

Edited by JoTheVeteran

Or modders could just support the current version of the game, like Arthmoor & Co do for the Unofficial patches, to avoid having to keep dozens of version up because of those people who refuse to update "Because Reasons".

I don't agree with that. Any version of the mod should still be there, just specified that their work for X version of the game by the checkbox.

The listing system of nexus is fine as it is, it shouldn't change.

A reason for not updating the game, or mod is that it simply changes. Some people need a change when start to bore, not before.

No thanks. This sounds like a personal issue that you'd want to subject a bunch of people to.

One concern I would have with this suggestion involves those cases where a mod supports more than one version of a game.

Here are a few different instances to consider:

1) A mod is not affected by game version changes. Should the author continually retest/update the version listing as new versions of the game are released? If so, how would players who choose to stay on a previous version of the game know that the mod would work with their (older) version?

2) A mod requires updates for some new game versions, which would require them to create a whole new mod listing for each game version they intend to support. As it is, I think most authors simply offer different sets of files and advise users to download the one that matches the game version they have installed.

While I can understand that such a feature may be useful in some cases, it could present more problems in other situations.

As near as I can tell, mod authors get to make the determination of which game versions (or configurations including different DLC combinations or season pass subscription content) they will or will not support with any given mod.

Are you suggesting that it'd be okay to force all mod authors to support only one game version/configuration per mod?

As near as I can tell, mod authors get to make the determination of which game versions (or configurations including different DLC combinations or season pass subscription content) they will or will not support with any given mod.

Are you suggesting that it'd be okay to force all mod authors to support only one game version/configuration per mod?

Nowhere did I say that modders should be "FORCED" to do anything, but thanks for reading something that I didn't say, into me just suggesting that modders, like Arthmoor & Co do, should just (VOLUNTARILY, (for the literalists)) only support the most current version, because of the reasons, I mentioned above.

Nowhere did I say that modders should be "FORCED" to do anything, but thanks for reading something that I didn't say, into me just suggesting that modders, like Arthmoor & Co do, should just (VOLUNTARILY, (for the literalists)) only support the most current version, because of the reasons, I mentioned above.

I read nothing into your statement. I politely requested clarification.

So you don't want to FORCE mod authors to do a thing, only tell them that they SHOULD VOLUNTARILY (for the literalists) do the thing, right?

I'm sure mod authors everywhere appreciate your advice.

I read nothing into your statement. I politely requested clarification.

So you don't want to FORCE mod authors to do a thing, only tell them that they SHOULD VOLUNTARILY (for the literalists) do the thing, right?

I'm sure mod authors everywhere appreciate your advice.

*Edited because my initial response was far too harsh...*

Yea, I'm not going to play this word game.

Knock yourself out, in your zeal to purposely make an issue out of a non-issue.

Instead of adding to the discussion you singled out ONE SENTENCE and are trying to drag the thread off topic to unnecessarily focus on that.

I see that you're attempting to speak for modders, without having released any of your own on the Nexus, so my suggestion is...make a mod, and when people DEMAND that you make (and maintain) several dozen of the SAME mod over and over and over again for different versions of the game, because those people refuse to upgrade their game "because reasons" then we'll talk.

Do that, then come back here.

"No one blames a mod author for breaking their game." I take it that you don't read the forums very often.

The mod author is always blamed for breaking the game. Always.

Well, not really, you are correct. I only read stuff I am invested in. If I can find the solution to a mod problem though, I usually find it in forums.

Yes, there are some ignorant people there, their opinions hardly matter. Those that cooperate with the mod author are the ones that do.