Vortex files in appdata

Rullisi

Is it alright to delete the mods that are located in ...\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\downloads\skyrim? I need to clear up some space and I found out that appdata takes lots of space and vortex files seem to take huge chunk of everything within. Are these only the initial installation files that I'd also use to reinstall mods if I need to, so these should be okay to delete? The mods that are in use are in steam game files and not here as far as I understand so these are not actually used when I play, meaning if I don't fiddle with mods exactly then these files here won't be missed right?

You can delete things from the DOWNLOADS folde,r however, understand that if you uninstall mods, you'll have to download them all over again.

Another thing you can do, is move them to an external drive, or you can use Vortex to move the downloads folder to a drive that has plenty of space, by using this screen

Vortex-Download-Folder.jpg

Also, please don't tell me that you have the MOD STAGING folder INSIDE the STEAM folder, because you really shouldn't do that, because some games have limits on the path length of mods, and having Steam\steamapps\common\GAME\ added to an already long path is not good

It's best to have your Mod Staging Folder path short, like D:\Mods\, or D:\Vortex Mods\

I know Neverwinter Nights is one such game where a too long file path will make the mods not work.

Thanks for the tips. I changed the path to something on usb and it appears that will take a long time to move/copy those over because the writing is slow on that. Should be all good then.

I am not entirely sure what you mean with the mod staging folder thing but the files in Steam side of Skyrim do look messy and branch out all over and have long rabbit holes and what not but I think everything works alright for me still. I am not savvy with any of this stuff at all but yeah I don't think it matters much. I guess since I got ssd it's fast anyway.

Besides, modded Skyrim is quite like a jenga tower which I do not want to move around and potentially f*#@ up the game completely if I start to move everything somewhere else.

Thanks for the tips. I changed the path to something on usb and it appears that will take a long time to move/copy those over because the writing is slow on that. Should be all good then.

I am not entirely sure what you mean with the mod staging folder thing but the files in Steam side of Skyrim do look messy and branch out all over and have long rabbit holes and what not but I think everything works alright for me still. I am not savvy with any of this stuff at all but yeah I don't think it matters much. I guess since I got ssd it's fast anyway.

Besides, modded Skyrim is quite like a jenga tower which I do not want to move around and potentially f*** up the game completely if I start to move everything somewhere else.

Mod Staging folder is where vortex EXTRACTS the mod zip files, and makes the links FROM that folder to your Game\Data folder

From your OP it sounds like you have the mod staging folder set inside your Steam Install somewhere