Mod Deployment and Ordering

Eflat63

I play Skyrim SE.

Maybe I am using Vortex wrong, or am missing something when it comes to setting rules...

I have to use other apps to reorder my mods after deploying, due the ordering is incorrect... It is nice how it finds file conflict on install and allows users to set them accordingly, However even when applying rules via the rule icon (which is a drag and drop system) I cannot assign a straight up this esl follows this, and this esp follows this in "MY" correct order. One of the main reasons is the way in which "user rules".

1. the drag and drop system is terribly clunky when you have many mods - even when I am only displaying enabled mods in select categories. See, it's like this the scroll-bar does not scroll up across the listed windows as I'm dragging/dropping to create a rule. When a mod is named high in the list and another is low in the list it is nearly impossible to set a user's rule between them.

2. groupings - you know the categories - most likely a user wants per say a mod like "Eyes of beauty" up in the order after their body type mods - well yes it's set after - but it is all the way below in the the player seven homes mods fifty mods below ... when viewing the order. It does not need to be so hodge podge and actually affects what the other mods USE them even though they are not dependent upon them. So I have a mod which replaces the way npcs look they do not depend on a house but the house rearrange cells and generates things too... when my mod which changes the npc is far above it and the house must follow it but eyes of beauty is being used - but does not have a dependency and follows the house mod - so does not get used. when it's well up above with all the rest of the remodeling mod it does. So, I think set a some rules ... but I can't because of the system I mentioned in bullet 1. <- This is not the only example. Now try to set those things manually...

3. So this all leaves me no alternative than to use Vortex to deploy, then launch another app to reorder everything into nice little groups to behave properly and the way I want them to. Then launch LOOT and Wyre BASH to make sure it is clean, nicely in order and playable to my liking. Every time I add/remove or reinstall (to set different options) on a darn mod. So, it not a deploy and run, it's a deploy close Vortex, run apps to double-check reorder and tweek outside of Vortex every single time.

So then - my suggestion is when it comes to mod ordering - default by rule but keep them grouped on type and give us a way - likely a simple listing where we can move things around in order rather than a drag/drop which does not scroll well and just tosses dependent rule and does not care about the other mods before or after which it has no rules for... a simple this is my order of load.

Edited by Eflat63

Manual ordering has been argued to death.

First of all, you can't sort ESL files, ESL go where they go no matter what.

Let Vortex do the work of sorting the ESPs, and ESMs, worry about getting the MOD part (textures, meshes, bsa etc) properly sorted, Vortex will let you know if something is wrong.

Rule of thumb, if Vortex isn't complaining, then everything is good.

People who refuse to use Vortex properly, keep messing with their load order until Vortex starts reporting errors left and right.

My advice, if you refuse to let Vortex do it's job, is for you to uninstall Vortex and download and use MO2 instead, that way you can drag and drop to your hearts content without having to hear your mod manager complain about how you've got them sorted incorrectly.

Guest deleted34304850

you're about 2 years late to that party. use the search function and read all the posts - and there are so many of them where everything you wrote is flogged to death.

what you want vortex to do - vortex doesn't do.

nmm is available though. so you got that going for you.