New CPU and questions

Because of coronavirus I wont be able to go to geek squad to get my new cpu installed, so i have decided to try it by myself for the first time
  1. Do i need to rip out my motherboard to be able to install my new cpu?
  2. Will i need to apply new thermal paste?

1. Maybe. There is a bracket on the back side of the MB that the heatsink mounts to, if it stays in place when you pull the heat sink, then you can just swap things out, and call it a day.

2. Definitely. Clean off the heat sink, put new thermal compound on the processor, install heatsink. I usually put a line about the size of a fat grain of rice on the processor, and let the heatsink squieeze it into place on install.

Before you start ripping, unplug the computer and hit the on/off switch so that capacitators and somesuch get 'emptied' from electricity. And it depends on how much space you have inside the computer wether or not you need the motherboard to come out. If you feel you have enough space, leave the board in. If you don't have enough space, hey, get the board out. Don't forget to mark the connections when having several hard drives, so that you know which connection goes to which hard drive. Doesn't matter too much except when there's software installed on several drives. The bracket on the backside of the board isn't there when using the CPU fan that came with the old CPU. That's only used when using certain after-market air coolers or water cooling to get the pump to stick to the CPU in a decent fashion.