CTD with Unofficial Patches Installed? GOTY Steam version. BOSS/BAIN/OBMM?

Well, I'll try that, just to make sure, but I'm fairly confident OBSE is working.

I was able to get out of character creation with OBSE installed. I don't think I manually saved, but it did create an autosave.

I'll check it out after I uninstall and reinstall everything again.

Cause after I attempt to install the Unofficial Patches, even uninstalling and deleting them the game crashes unless I do a clean reinstall. :\

Idk, this is just a headache. Sorry.

If OBSE is working even autosaves will have the OBSE co-save (so you'll have autosave.ess and autosave.obse).

If OBSE is working even autosaves will have the OBSE co-save (so you'll have autosave.ess and autosave.obse).

I'm currently doing a full clean install again because the game just wouldn't load for me even with the patches uninstalled.

After doing a clean install I'm gonna move the OBSE where it's supposed to be, load the game, make a throw away save (cause I want to create my character with mods that give better features for characters) and then check to see if it is working.

I'll check back in afterwards and let you know, but I'm pretty sure it worked the first time.

My question, if OBSE IS working, then what? Cause if it is working then that means it was working before when I installed the patches...Which means if I attempt to use the patches it'll just stop working again. But yeah.

Alright, so OBSE is up and running properly. I followed that video you sent and got it running.

The only difference is that in Wrye Bash for me I don't have anything outlined in red like she does.

But, now that I have OBSE up and running...now what? Redownload and attempt to patch again or?

Yes one at a time starting with the Unoffocial Oblivion Patch.

Even though you don't have anything for them to do at the beginning the process is ...

Add one mod (e.g. the UOP), sort with BOSS and then start Wrye Bash and rebuild the bashed patch. Start the game and confirm that all is working correctly. With the UOP and DLC UOPs you'll really just be confirming the game runs as there are far too many things to check to test all aspects of what they do.

If all is working proiperly then add one of the DLC UOPs (I suggest the Shivering Isles one would be next). Same deal ... install then BOSS and then bash patch and then test. When you run into a problem we will have good idea where to start looking for root causes.

- Edit - I noticed the red highlighted unofficial patch in the video too. A quick look at Wrye Bash General Readme.html (found in the Oblivion\Mopy\Docs folder) shows that is showing that two plugins share the same file timestamp (which is how Oblivion sorts load order ... from oldest to newest). Note how Oblivion.esm and DLCBattlehornCastle.esp both have a timestamp of 1/13/2019 11:5230 AM. Sorting with BOSS (and I would imagine with LOOT, though I've never used it so that is just a guess) will fix that.

That situation is typical of Steam versions of the game ... the wonderful folks at Steam constantly go out of their way to break things in Oblivion (for example breaking BSA Redirection with their insistence that modern dates be given to all vanilla files, including the BSAs).

Edited by Striker879

Yes one at a time starting with the Unoffocial Oblivion Patch.

Even though you don't have anything for them to do at the beginning the process is ...

Add one mod (e.g. the UOP), sort with BOSS and then start Wrye Bash and rebuild the bashed patch. Start the game and confirm that all is working correctly. With the UOP and DLC UOPs you'll really just be confirming the game runs as there are far too many things to check to test all aspects of what they do.

If all is working proiperly then add one of the DLC UOPs (I suggest the Shivering Isles one would be next). Same deal ... install then BOSS and then bash patch and then test. When you run into a problem we will have good idea where to start looking for root causes.

- Edit - I noticed the red highlighted unofficial patch in the video too. A quick look at Wrye Bash General Readme.html (found in the Oblivion\Mopy\Docs folder) shows that is showing that two plugins share the same file timestamp (which is how Oblivion sorts load order ... from oldest to newest). Note how Oblivion.esm and DLCBattlehornCastle.esp both have a timestamp of 1/13/2019 11:5230 AM. Sorting with BOSS (and I would imagine with LOOT, though I've never used it so that is just a guess) will fix that.

That situation is typical of Steam versions of the game ... the wonderful folks at Steam constantly go out of their way to break things in Oblivion (for example breaking BSA Redirection with their insistence that modern dates be given to all vanilla files, including the BSAs).

Alright, well. Gonna be installing the UOP again.

I was told to use LOOT though instead of BOSS so I don't have BOSS anymore.

I'll let you know if it works this time. I am doubtful, but we'll see.

Before I install the UOP again, should I use Wrye Bash to install it or do it manually? I would think to do it via Wrye Bash, yeah?

-EDIT-
Alright, good news. After doing a full clean wipe, deleting BOSS and OBMM and everything the UOP did NOT crash the game this time.

My next question is...how do I utilize the Bashed Patch? I tried reading up on it, but it just confused me. If you could explain how to rebuild it and what it does, I'd appreciate it. Thank you. I just don't want to mess up anything. Lol.

Edited by NikushimiZERO

Before I install the UOP again, should I use Wrye Bash to install it or do it manually? I would think to do it via Wrye Bash, yeah?

I suggest Wrye Bash for a couple of reasons.

First, if a new version of the UOP is ever released (yes Arthmoor I know ... highly unlikely) you will have no problems with upgrading to the newer version and then if you decide to go back to the older version you just need to uninstall the newer and then Anneal (WB handles keeping track of which files are overwritten and then restores the originals when you uninstall and Anneal).

The second reason is along the same lines. The UOPs are designed so that if a mod wnats to change something that the UOP has changed all you need to do is install the other mod after the UOP (or use load order and bash tags for some types of records). If/when you unistall a mod that has overwritten UOP changes it is again just a matter of Anneal and all is back to the state you want.

With manual install you are the "Anneal tool".

I suggest Wrye Bash for a couple of reasons.

First, if a new version of the UOP is ever released (yes Arthmoor I know ... highly unlikely) you will have no problems with upgrading to the newer version and then if you decide to go back to the older version you just need to uninstall the newer and then Anneal (WB handles keeping track of which files are overwritten and then restores the originals when you uninstall and Anneal).

The second reason is along the same lines. The UOPs are designed so that if a mod wnats to change something that the UOP has changed all you need to do is install the other mod after the UOP (or use load order and bash tags for some types of records). If/when you unistall a mod that has overwritten UOP changes it is again just a matter of Anneal and all is back to the state you want.

With manual install you are the "Anneal tool".

Alright, well. I used Wrye Bash to install the UOP's one at a time. Starting with UOP (which it worked, YAY!) followed by Shivering Isles (it worked) and then the DLC (it worked) with no crashes this time.

I think the issue is that I didn't clear a folder of extra stuff because of all the crap I did to it. So after all the clean installs and everything, it's working for now. No crashes.

I'm unsure about this Bashed Patch or how to use it, but I followed a tutorial on S.T.E.P. Project wiki...so hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

I appreciate the help cause this was frustrating. Hopefully if I have any other issues I can come back here for good help again.

Only other thing is trying to figure out why my mouse is so slow while in menus...but that's not about this thread. I don't want to break forum rules by asking for help in this thread for something different.

-EDIT-

Just to clarify for anyone who may have had the same problem as I did. I did a clean reinstall of the game, and also deleted everything except saves in "This PC/documents/mygames/Oblivion" folder and restarted the game to force it to recalculate everything.

That's how I was able to finally get the patches to work I think. Something was wrong and conflicting in there. But, thanks for all the help! It's finally working and I can now attempt to install more mods with the knowledge you have provided me. Much appreciated.

Edited by NikushimiZERO

Great news that you have the UOPs working! Yes it is possible to make things worse while trying to fix stuff and then some of the bad "fixes" can make actually fixing things impossible or overly difficult. As you've found, some times the "clean sheet of paper" method is the easiest (though it often doesn't lead to finding those "root causes" I so love to get into).

Anything I know about bashed patch stuff I've gleaned from Wrye Bash General Readme.html and Wrye Bash Advanced Readme.html along with a bit from various forum postings I've followed over the years. I still just use the default options that are ticked when rebuilding my bashed patch. I use C-Bash myself, even though it says it is beta ... it can do more than P-Bash but C-Bash isn't supported anymore as they don't have anybody on the WB team who can update/improve it.

Everybody learns things their own way. Some need to stumble their way through and discover how to get things working by trial and error. For others watching a video or having somebody there to show them is their prefered way. I'm one of those who could watch 100 videos or demonstrations and still be unsure what to do next, but let me read the instructions once and if I run into a snag I know exactly where to look for the answer.

None of those ways are inherently "right" or "wrong" ... each person has a method that best suits them. I just tend to "run home to Mama" and offer advice in the format I'm most familiar with.

Your mouse issue stikes a bell with me (as in I've seen that myself before) but the memory is rather fuzzy on details. Things I would start with is fMouseSensitivity in Oblivion.ini (mine is set at fMouseSensitivity=0.0020 for both my current character and the one prior to him). I think that is the same as Mouse Sensitivity in the Controls menu, but in the menu you don't get an actual reading of where it is set. Another thing to look at is bUse Joystick in Oblivion.ini (mine is set at bUse Joystick=0). I would think that if your mouse works normally in Windows and other games it's an Oblivion specific game setting at fault.

Finally, as you are the one who started this thread you can use it for whatever purpose you want (within the forum rules of course). The advantage that starting a new thread for a new issue has is that the title will then be specific to the new problem, which will have a greater chance of being seen by somebody who has run into that particular issue before, where they may not even look at an older thread that doesn't pertain to the new issue.

Edited by Striker879