Can't use mouse in MCM

instyne49

I have one major problem that renders MCM usless. I can't use my mouse or keyboard in game while using my xbox controller, which doesn't do anything when MCM is open. In Fallout 4 we have a mod, Auto Gamepad Switch. If there is something similar for FNV? If so I can't find it. Is there a work around for this, I have never been able to play games using a keyboard.

Do you have installed the "JIP LN NVSE" plugin? It provides controller support to the game. Check the "requirements".

-Dubious-

Yes I followed Gopher's suggestions in his remade FNV tutorial. He presented so much I must have missed that. I'll go check it now. Thank you.

Could you please clarify what part of the "JIP LN NVSE" plugin" provides this support? I went through the entire list of "requirements" and couldn't find controller support. When I asked the question on that mod page, I got this reply from user SuperQuail " As far as I'm aware there isn't an equivalent mod for New Vegas. The only controller mod I can see that requires JIP LN NVSE is 'Steam Link Controller Fix' " .

It provides the low level functions to convert controller-keyboard mapper program inputs to keyboard equivalents. (For details you need to look up the functions on the GECKWiki.) As a "DLL" it requires a mod to explicitly call for it's functions in order for them to get used. I am not familiar with the mod from FO4 you reference, but in FNV you still need a third-party controller-keyboard mapper program like Xpadder v5.3 (last freeware version: 13 Apr 2008) to assign new keys to the buttons. FNV requires a controller (such as the XBox 360) which is "Xinput" compatible. Some mods will require DirectInput/"DInput" emulation to work with a controller. (See this DirectInput Wikipedia article for an overview and comparison of the two Device Input APIs.) Please see the "Solutions to Control problems" section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article for known specific issues.

A controller is an "input" device. The role of XPadder (et. al.) and "JIP LN" is to turn the analog inputs of the controller into digital keystrokes as if from the keyboard so the mods don't need to explicitly expect controllers. As such, there are very few (I had no reason to expect even one) "controller" mods for the PC version of the game. The third-party programs fill that role. There are some mods which provide support for controllers with their "UI"s, but they tend to require "JIP LN" in that case. But they are not labelled as "controller" specific mods.

-Dubious-

Again I thank you for your help. I spent some time playing the game last night testing things out. I changed from a wired controller to Bluetooth. The keyboard which is on a dongal actually does function. I tested using " Just Vanilla Sprint " I did forward motion with the joystick and used the left shift for speed, testing the right shift key got no response although I could probably remap that. Not sure. My biggest problem is using MCM. With no controller connected, things work as expected with keyboard and mouse. With the controller connected, I can use it for control, but the visual cues are almost invisible. I have to count the clicks to get the header I want, once sub-menus are open, I can see a faint highlight for each choice. The downside is complete loss of mouse pointer support. This is true ingame while gamepad is connected. jazzisparis says he hasn't done anything about the gamepad because he doesn't have one. This whole thing boils down to getting functionality for the gamepad and mouse at the same time, A decidedly different question than my original post. reg2k - Neanka - shadowslasher410 are the mod authors of MCM and registrator2000 created Auto Gamepad Switch in FO4. I think I'll check with Pelinor who did "The Mod Configuration Menu" in FNV, if Auto Gamepad Switch is possible in FNV. Ah, there's nothing like sitting home with nothing to do, besides bothering people with real jobs, seeing if they can fix a problem that only affects a few.