Troubleshooting: CTD happens halfway into the entire map, prompt name: the CTD borders

ZxAsriel

So I was just doing my normal thing in new vegas, killing s#*! with my light machine gun, having a grand time leveling up and adding perks to myself when suddenly I took a few steps forward and my game froze. Radio was still playing normally, ambiance was still playing, but my entire screen was locked to the game and I had to use task manager to close it all down and shut it down cause I couldn't get out of it.

At first I was like "Okay, just a random crash, happens ALL the time, this games as stable as todd howards mother who's been shagged multiple times, I can totally understand why this breaks the game, probably just hit a snag..."

So I reopen it, start exploring northwards again and... crash... still thought nothing of it, task manager pulled up again, closed the game, and after the 12th time I knew something was up, so I took a screenshot of my map: turns out there's an entire border that is acting as a CTD in the game, and I'm like "Isn't NVAC supposed to prevent s#*! like this?" so I took a screenshot, and jotted down where that CTD border is; and before you ask, TMM 1 1 1 and fast travelling did not solve it as areas within the CTD zone are also affected: say you fast travel to the thorn and take the manhole cover in, yup, you guessed it; even the loading screen CTD's: you get a black screen and the loading symbol then after a while... crash.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13jXSTsVwCP0MOSuWN-SObLAbj82cKhTU/view

^ I literally cannot explore the rest of the game until I find a fix for this.

Not enough detail. This sounds like you are having problems as you cross from one cell to another (either interior or exterior). Try to note just where this is occurring. (The line shown in your screenshot covers a number of cells, and is more likely related to failing to reboot after a CTD.)

Please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as the version of Windows, if you are using a "Steam" or "GOG" and/or "regional language version" of the game (even if you are playing it in English); using the FNV4GB Patch, NVSE and it's related plugins; replacements for textures (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), animations, or "bodies", etc.; and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX. It saves us playing "20 questions" and gets you a more specific answer more quickly. (The usual turn-around on post and reply in an older game forum is 24 hours.) Screenshots of the "load order" don't usually work so well because they tend to cut off or fail to display needed information and are hard to "piece together" into a complete and coherent picture.

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags". "LOOT" already includes those tags in the "load order" it copies to your clipboard, so you can just paste it's list into your post.

Did you reboot after the CTD? (Your system is in an unstable and unpredictable condition and likely to crash again for unrelated reasons if you don't.)

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article.

"NVAC - New Vegas AntiCrash" error log entries are described on the "Description" page. This an important log for "in-game" errors. Some are intended to assist mod authors; while others are there to help "you, the player" trying to resolve a problem. You are interested in the entries which are NOT automatically handled successfully by NVAC. Key entries to look for are the following "letter codes":
* "e" entries are Exceptions handled specifically by NVAC's targeted code changes
* "h" entries are exceptions identified Heuristically by NVAC's "global" exception handler, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "m" entries are "Middle of nowhere" exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "ñ" entries are Null instruction exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "n" entries are Null pointer call exceptions, sometimes handled unsuccessfully.
* "o" entries are stack Overflow exceptions, usually handled unsuccessfully.
* "q" entries are program self-termination information; these are effectively crashes.
* "u" entries are Unhandled exceptions reported from the Unhandled Exception Filter; these are crashes (and the NVAC author wants to hear about them).
* "v" entries are unhandled exceptions reported by NVAC's "global" exception handler; these are crashes.
* "w" entries are informative, relaying exception information as it passes through New Vegas's final exception handler.
* "x" entries are critical errors in Windows exception data; these entries should never occur.
* ":" entries are output from OutputDebugString calls.
* ";" entries are output from the game's own error checking.
Other codes may be of interest, but are not things the player is likely to be able to resolve, They are useful for informing the author of the mod to aid them in fixing their plugin. In particular, pass along the
* "_" entries are informative, relaying that NVAC was loaded and the base address of various DLLs
* "!" entries are informative, relaying human-readable text for the user
entries.
Any error codes found in the log but not listed on the mod "Description" page should be reported to the NVAC comments page.

The mod FNV Mod Limit Fix (just released 20 Apr 2020) fixes the smaller "plugin cap" problem by increasing (4x) the maximum number of file handles to the common "2048" normally used by Windows to enable the full 255 plugin limit of 32-bit games. This appears to have the side benefit of smoother (possibly a few FPS faster) play and reduced or eliminated audio stutter reported by some users. Check it's "comments" page for possible related side-effects or conflicts.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Dubiousintent is correct, not enough information at all.

1. Could be a corrupted save.

2. Could be a mod / mods that are not working right.

... Due to not meeting all requirements and / or conflicting.

3. Could be a tree / flora issue.

... Yes, I had one mod that added more trees and flora and for some reason each time I would go to a new cell, I would CTD. There was a ' work around ' but basically I dumped it.

Just not enough information.

If you want I can upload the entirety of my games library of new vegas, my saves, everything.

Just direct me to a file sharing site with no MB limits and I can send you a copy of my game you can replicate what I am suffering through. - keep in mind; DON'T TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT, If I post a link to all my game files, I seriously don't want to be charged with accidental piracy of software.

Basically all I know is: I have at least 49 mods, none of which add content to cells other than weapon pick ups and ammunition, and maybe some buyable armor. But that shouldn't be a reason why a wide open valley past a set of train tracks wants to just die on me; simply put I don't have much information because even I myself don't have enough of a hypothesis to go on cause

1: I have 49 mods installed and archived currently, none of them have started giving me the middle finger at all.

2. my LOOT order says everything is clean.

3. I checked the NVAC log files and this is what was in them:

-------------------------------------------------------------

21054823 _ NewVegasAntiCrash FalloutNV.exe
21054823 _ 03900000 07050000 nvac.dll
21054823 _ 0AEA0000 05010040 nvse_1_4.dll
21054823 _ 77990000 0A0047BA ntdll.dll
------------------------------------------------------------
Like I said; if you find a site where I can upload my game data so you can get an exact copy of everything, I'm all ears. But not only do you need more information, I two also need more information, we need to cooperate.
It's not a corrupted save, since it does this even if all save data is deleted and a new game is started to clear the remaining save data.
Most of my mods are pretty light, I only use mandatory mods to bypass CTD issues (example: quick loot system)
3. I literally don't have an tree / flora mod, I did try to lower fade rates in options to see if less stress would work, it didn't.
Edited by ZxAsriel

We don't need to see the actual files. Just the information asked for in my previous reply. Unless they have become corrupted by a virus or something like a bad hard disk, the actual files will be the same as ours. If they are corrupted, then you can only uninstall the entire game, delete any remaining game related folders, run "chkdsk", and perform a clean install again. (If you do, please do not install to the default location. See the "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article.)

Those limited entries in the NVAC log are "informational" indicating it started. None are errors produced by the game itself. Which suggests your problem is due to external factors (such as faulty RAM). The Windows Eventlog is more likely to provide something useful. The information as to your system specs will tell us if it meets minimum requirements or has known issues. Etc.

Taking a more "shotgun" approach to possible issues in the absence of specific data:

Did you "tweak" your INI file settings? If so, please see the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

Please see the following entries under the 'Solutions to Performance problems' section in the wiki Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide if you haven't already.
* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'
* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed'
* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'
* 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu' for other settings that can indirectly affect micro-stutter.
* There are also some NVSR configuration suggestions under the 'Issue: Game in slow motion' and entries. (These will not help with the "Tick Fix" alternative mod, but the author of NVSR now has a suggested configuration for Win10 linked there.)
* The 'Issue: What's with these Solid Green billboard signs in the distance (LOD)?' entry under the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section can also help if your problems started after you installed VWD/LOD texture packages.
* If you are using CASM or some similar "auto-save" mod to manage your save game files (recommended), try increasing the "time between saves" set in the "save frequency"; and reducing the number of occasions it saves to the minimum (e.g. disable most "Autosave Events" in CASM) and see how that impacts the game seeming to freeze temporarily.
* If you have "NVSE logging" enabled (see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide), disable it until actually needed.
(Reading from or writing to disk for any reason is the slowest thing the game does.)

The size of your image files also has an impact. Larger/higher resolution is not always "better". Please see the wiki "Display resolution versus Image Size" article.

The 'Issue: What INI edits seem to be most beneficial to performance' entry of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide) may also be some help. However, the above mitigations are more likely to have a fundamental beneficial effect with or without any INI adjustments, so consider them as the last resort.

As you can see, there are a number of things that can underlie your problem. If one of these doesn't fix it, I would be interested to hear about any eventual solution that does.

The following entries in the wiki 'Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting' guide specifically address known Win10 problems:
* 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)'
* 'Issue: Incomplete save game load' (NVSR related)
* 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup'; specifically "Cause-1" regarding DirectX9 drivers.
* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'
* 'Issue: Recent (post-Win10 FCU) CTDs after 10-20 minutes of play' (NVSR related)
* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed (or not)'. In particular "Cause-4" regarding video card settings. The latest video drivers may not be the best suited to an older game like FNV. All vendors drop testing of old games at some point. Backwards compatibility is never guaranteed, much less "optimization".
Also, "Cause-7" regarding "Superfetch" and "File search indexing". Windows updates will often reset these back on.
* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'
* 'Issue: ENB Support for Windows versions later than Win7'
* 'Issue: Problems using ENB/SweetFx on Windows 10'

-Dubious-

I will add something to Dubious -

I think he will agree - I cannot count how many times we have seen people state with confidence that they read all their mod requirements. ( Even I did at times.... ) Only to find that they and I actually did miss something that was required and / or would NOT work with X - Mod ( s ) ....

Plus also what can happen is a mod that has script, could start to degrade during the play. I had some mods in Skyrim - Fallout 3 - NV and 4 that did that. The script in a given mod would start to break down if related and / or cross a Vanilla or other Mod Quests.

Plus I also cannot tell you - I do not know if you have these or not, so DO NOT TAKE OFFENCE, ( please ).

Any sex mods can also be and / or cause problems, because of requirements, load order and so on. Some actually found, after no small debate with me, that after they removed it / them ... their game worked fine.

Also ENB's these too can be just more than seriously problematic.

See? Basically and I could go on .. there are * A LOT * of things, reasons that could be at play ....

I have coined a phrase - P.I.T.A. Protocol. Only the user w/their computer can actually fix their game issue. We can give thoughts, ideas and suggestions ... but in the end, P.I.T.A. Protocol will have to be engaged to one degree or another.

Okay, I think I can provide some information; for one I have several browsers I use, as the post gave me a huge checklist:

Opera

Google Chrome

Chromium

Firefox / Waterfox

Internet Explorer

Microsoft Edge

the engine I use to run my games is steam, I have AMD, my mouse buttons are inverted (LMB acts as RMB, and RMB acts as LMB)

I have the latest version of NVSE

I have validated all files in the game via steams "local files" option. (1 file failed to validate and will now be restored)

Processor is an AMD Ryzen 5 1600X six-core processor

Speed is 3.60 GHz

installed ram 16.0 GB

64 bit operating system, 64 based processor

2.16 GB of memory on local disk

edition: windows 10 home, version: 1903

Manufacturer: cyberpowerC

if you PM me your email I can send over more specifications that are required of me, I reached a character limit I'm afraid.

Sorry for the inconveniences. I am not meaning to pester anyone.

If you are encountering a "character limit" to your post, it is not on the Nexus side of things. I've posted some massive walls of text in the forums and never hit one with either Firefox or Chrome. (My guess would be you posted from a phone device and hit a limit imposed by your carrier.)

Everything asked for is "background" information that is independent from the software problem you are experiencing. It enables us to determine if there is something fundamentally incorrect about your setup that might explain the basis for the problem. We are not so much concerned with what you are using or how much space it takes up on your system as if there is enough "stuff" needed by the game to run correctly or that is known to cause a problem. Once you gather this information about your hardware, keep it safe somewhere. It will be needed if you ask for help with other games.

Those hardware specs should be fine, but you need to include the video adapter and it's VRAM size, as well as if it is a laptop or desktop computer (difference in design). The version of the game (regional, Steam vs GOG, etc.) is also important. Assuming you have a video adapter with at least 1GB of VRAM (and it is not a laptop), then the most likely underlying problem will be in the "load order" or the "install order". Which is why we ask for your "LOOT" sorted list.

I know I threw a large number of possible causes at you in my earlier post, but as I stated it was a "shotgun" approach (due to a lack of data) of the most common possible issues so you wouldn't get impatient while waiting 24 hours for a response. With more detailed information we can narrow down the possible causes to the most likely. "Troubleshooting at a distance" requires eliminating possibilities until you have narrowed the field to the "likely". Just take your time and methodically work through the list of items requested. "Impatience" is the number one cause of most problems, because people rush through instructions in a hurry to "play" and miss a step.

What did you find in the Windows "Eventlog"?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Okay, I think I can provide some information; for one I have several browsers I use, as the post gave me a huge checklist:

Opera

Google Chrome

Chromium

Firefox / Waterfox

Internet Explorer

Microsoft Edge

the engine I use to run my games is steam, I have AMD, my mouse buttons are inverted (LMB acts as RMB, and RMB acts as LMB)

I have the latest version of NVSE

I have validated all files in the game via steams "local files" option. (1 file failed to validate and will now be restored)

Processor is an AMD Ryzen 5 1600X six-core processor

Speed is 3.60 GHz

installed ram 16.0 GB

64 bit operating system, 64 based processor

2.16 GB of memory on local disk

edition: windows 10 home, version: 1903

Manufacturer: cyberpowerC

if you PM me your email I can send over more specifications that are required of me, I reached a character limit I'm afraid.

Sorry for the inconveniences. I am not meaning to pester anyone.

eventlog

CRITICAL

Error:

13 VSS

69 AppModel-Runtime

455 ESENT

1000 application error

1002 application hang

1014 Security-SPP

1552 User Profile Service

7000 Service Control Manager

7009 Service Control Manager

7022 Service Control Manager

8193 VSS

8198 Security-SPP

8200 Security-SPP

10001 DistributedCOM

10010 DistributedCOM

36874 Schannel

Warning:

4 FilterManager

27 e1i65x64

63 WMI

64 CertificateServicesClient - AutoEnrollment

360 User Device Registration

1014 - DNS Client Events

10016 DistributedCOM

Information:

0 gupdate

0 HiRezSoftwareManagerSvc

0 LMIGuardianSvc

1 Diagnosis-Scripted

1 FilterManager

1 SecurityCenter

6 FilterManager

11 Kernel-General

12 Kernel-General

14 Wininit

15 Kernel-General

16 Kernel-general

18 Kernel-Boot

19 WindowsUpdateClient

20 Kernel-Boot

20 Kernel-General

20 Provisioning-Diagnostics-Provider

25 Kernel-Boot

27 Kernel-Boot

30 Kernel-Boot

32 e1i65x64

33 Volsnap

39 AppModel Runtime

40 AppModel Runtime

41 AppModel Runtime

42 AppModel Runtime

43 WindowsUpdateClient

44 WindowsUpdateClient

55 Kernel Processor Power

70 AppModel Runtime

90 Provision Diagnostics Provider

98 Ntfs (MIcrosoft Windows Ntfs)

100 Client Licensing

100 DeviceSetupManager

101 Client-Licensing

101 - DeviceSetupManager

102 - ESENT

102 Client-Licensing

105 ESENT

106 LogMein Guardian

106 Client Licensing

112 DeviceSetupManager

116 Client Licensing

117 Client Licensing

130 DeviceSetupManager

151 Client Licensing

153 Kernel Boot

157 Client Licensing

158 Time Service

159 Client Licensing (sweet jesus, just how many f*#@ing licensing things are there!?!)

172 Kernel Power

201 AppModel Runtime

210 AppModel Runtime

211 AppModel Runtime

217 AppModel Runtime

258 Defrag

300 ESENT

301 ESENT

302 ESENT

326 ESENT

330 ESENT

369 User Device Registration

516 vjoy

518 vjoy

641 ESENT

900 Security SPP

902 Security SPP

903 Security SPP

1000 LoadPerf

1001 LoadPerf

1001 Windows Error Reporting

1003 Search

1003 Security SPP

1006 DHCPv6 Client

1033 MsiInstaller

1034 Security SPP

1040 MsiInstaller

1042 MsiInstaller

1066 Security SPP

1074 User32

1130 .NET Runtime Optimization Service

1531 User Profile Service

1532 User Profile Service

1700 DeviceManagement Enterprise Diagnostics Provider

1708 DeviceManagement Enterprise Diagnostics Provider

4000 WLAN Auto config

4004 Winlogon

4625 Event System

5615 WMI

5617 WMI

6000 Winlogon

6003 Winlogon

6005 Eventlog

6006 Eventlog

6009 Eventlog

6013 Eventlog

7001 Winlogon

7002 Winlogon

7026 Service Control Manager

7040 Service Control Manager

7045 Service Control Manager

8194 System Restore

8212 System Restore

8224 VSS

8300 System Restore

8301 System Restore

8302 System Restore

9027 Desktop Window Manager

10000 RestartManager

10001 RestartManager

10001 Winsrv

10002 Winsrv

11707 Msinstaller

14204 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

14210 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

15007 HttpEvent

15008 Httpevent

16384 Security SPP

16394 Security SPP

16962 Directory Services SAM

50036 Dhcp Client

50037 Dhcp Client

50103 Dhcp Client

50104 Dhcp Client

50105 Dhcp Client

50106 Dhcp Client

51046 DHCPv6 Client

51047 DHCPv6 Client

51057 DHCPv6 Client

This was the summary of all administrative events within the past 24 hours.

Please go back and read that article on "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" more carefully. A "summary" of events doesn't give useful details, and "over the last 24 hours" is useless unless we know when you played the game during that period AND we have a timestamp for each event (which the summary does not provide). The:

1000 application error
1002 application hang

entries MIGHT be related to the game, and they might not. What you want is IMMEDIATELY after a CTD to examine the Eventlog for related events timestamped when you were playing the game. Expand the error events and check the details. The article explains the couple of lines from those details that are all we need.

Understand: we cannot do these things for you. You are the only one with direct access to your system, especially at the time of a failure in the game. You have to gather the relevant information so we can interpret it for you. We understand that these may be "new to you" things we are asking for, which is why the wiki articles go to lengths to explain what and why we need them. If you do not understand something in the articles, please ask so we can explain and improve them. But it is expected that you will attempt to follow instructions ... or you are wasting both your time and ours.

-Dubious-