Mods suddenly will no longer load

So out of the blue my NV install has apparently broken. I load it up today and I'm greeted with a blank purple screen. I shut the game down, restart it, and it loads fine now...except it loads as if no mods are enabled. If I load a save I get the missing content message and the invisible character stuck in the ground bug that occurs when you load without your race mod installed, and looking around any modded objects are gone. I've tried re-verifying the game files, reverting to an older backup install, tried loading through NMM, the games' base launcher, and directly clicking both FNV4gb and the base NV .exe. Same problem every time.

No idea what caused this, it worked fine yesterday and I didn't change the game at all since then. Anyone else had this problem and figured out what's causing it? I'm absolutely stumped and I really don't want to have to completely nuke my install.

Check under your "C:\Users" folder tree for both "AppData\Local\FalloutNV" for "Plugins.txt" and "Documents\My Games\FalloutNV" for the INI files. If they get reset to "zero" size or mis-sorted you might see that symptom. I've had some tools set "Plugins.txt" list of active mods to alphabetical while FNV expects it to be in "date/time" sorted order. (Supposedly the game doesn't use that file but other tools do.)

Also, it never hurts to run "chkdsk" to make sure you haven't developed a hard drive problem.

-Dubious-