Repetitive crashes, can't even play for more than a minute now. I have logs.

megamack1

You can't just move the Steam folder manually as that doesn't update the "registry" entries. Which is also related to your problems with other tools such as Vortex which use the registry to tell them where to find the game. You do have to "re-install" the game, but you can preserve existing information such as save game and mod files.

Please see the wiki 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. The "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article has some additional tips on moving Steam games as well.

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-

You can't just move the Steam folder manually as that doesn't update the "registry" entries. Which is also related to your problems with other tools such as Vortex which use the registry to tell them where to find the game. You do have to "re-install" the game, but you can preserve existing information such as save game and mod files.

Please see the wiki 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. The "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article has some additional tips on moving Steam games as well.

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-

Gotta manually delete the moved folder so I can reinstall New Vegas, then. But now it's giving me an issue of permissions, and no option to run it as administrator.

(Image would go here, but the site is telling me I'm "Not allowed to use that image extension in this community." when I try to submit this post.)

I'm the admin and owner of this computer, I don't get why it's telling me *I* need permission, then won't let me give myself said permission. It's on the main folder that the game is in. I tried removing read only from everything within, but still nothing.

Nevermind, just had to manually delete everything inside, then the folder itself after. But now I've got another issue! Steam won't let me make a new directory, since I already have one in all three of my harddrives.

If you have a SteamLibrary folder on another drive than "C:", then tell Steam to install FNV under there. You can even install it to "C:" as long as Steam's folder is not under the "C:\Program Files" folder structure. ("Program Files" folders on other drives are not the problem; only on "C:".) But yes indeed Steam will only permit one of it's "Steam" or "SteamLibary" folders per drive. Each game gets placed in it's own sub-folder under that drive "Steam" folder.

-Dubious-

If you have a SteamLibrary folder on another drive than "C:", then tell Steam to install FNV under there. You can even install it to "C:" as long as Steam's folder is not under the "C:\Program Files" folder structure. ("Program Files" folders on other drives are not the problem; only on "C:".) But yes indeed Steam will only permit one of it's "Steam" or "SteamLibary" folders per drive. Each game gets placed in it's own sub-folder under that drive "Steam" folder.

-Dubious-

It wasn't even on the C drive. It was on the F drive, but under the F drive's Program Files section.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a clean re-install after a break, in that other harddrive where Stem installs games outside of any Program Files thing, in my D drive. Reinstalled everything, most stuff went smoothly. But now, the game is refusing to launch properly. Or, rather, it does launch as intended, but after a few seconds, before getting past the first pre-menu company self-promotion screen, it gives me a popup that says "There seems to be a problem with your Project Nevada installation because the HUD extensions were not detected." and I can't proceed. If I hit OK, it moves to a black screen, and I can't tab out to close the game, and the only way to regain control of my computer is to Ctrl Alt Delete, sign out, and sign back in, so I have to restart all of my programs, unless I tab out *while* the popup is active, then I can just task manager it normally. I've looked it up, most people just suggest cleanly reinstalling Project Nevada and any other UI mods, which I did, and it's not helping at all.

Tried a clean re-install after a break, in that other harddrive where Stem installs games outside of any Program Files thing, in my D drive. Reinstalled everything, most stuff went smoothly. But now, the game is refusing to launch properly. Or, rather, it does launch as intended, but after a few seconds, before getting past the first pre-menu company self-promotion screen, it gives me a popup that says "There seems to be a problem with your Project Nevada installation because the HUD extensions were not detected." and I can't proceed. If I hit OK, it moves to a black screen, and I can't tab out to close the game, and the only way to regain control of my computer is to Ctrl Alt Delete, sign out, and sign back in, so I have to restart all of my programs, unless I tab out *while* the popup is active, then I can just task manager it normally. I've looked it up, most people just suggest cleanly reinstalling Project Nevada and any other UI mods, which I did, and it's not helping at all.

I should say, the *installs* went smoothly. I could only properly launch the game before installing my mods. And this time I have even less mods installed. But didn't have slow, laggy installs, no real issues with missing dependencies that I forgot about (that I know of) and the rule-setting went easily, without any accidental cycles after deployment. I just can't play. I'll see about one-by-one uninstalling and reinstalling all the mods, and try to boot up a game after each individual install, while waiting for responses.

So, my first mod I tried, without anything extra (because obviously, a lot of mods have it as a dependency, ya know?) is Project Nevada. Nothing else, just that. Freshly uninstalled it, reinstalled it, re-did it's setup... And it gave me the same problem. So apparently it's an issue with PN, itself, for whatever reason.

With a "clean install", you have to consider your situation as a completely new set of symptoms even though you may be using the same mods. So, exactly what is going wrong NOW? (Apparently a UI problem with PN? I'm having trouble tracking.)

Did you install the DirectX9 drivers? (See the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.)

PN has dependencies it's FOMM installer script is designed to detect and adjust for, which you have to deal with when manually installing it or if your manager does deal with the script correctly. Among these are UI affecting mods such as MCM, UIO, and u/oHUD. Some are not listed on the description page (last updated in 2014). Other mods have changed in the meantime. Please see the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article, which has specific mentions of PN in different places. (This takes some interpretation as applies to your situation. There are too many permutations for an "if A then B" type of guide. If you haven't encountered XML files before then the "TL;DR" section is not going to help by itself.)

As I recall, problems with MCM, DarnUI, and PN were the primary reason I wound up investigating and writing the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article.

-Dubious-

With a "clean install", you have to consider your situation as a completely new set of symptoms even though you may be using the same mods. So, exactly what is going wrong NOW? (Apparently a UI problem with PN? I'm having trouble tracking.)

Did you install the DirectX9 drivers? (See the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.)

PN has dependencies it's FOMM installer script is designed to detect and adjust for, which you have to deal with when manually installing it or if your manager does deal with the script correctly. Among these are UI affecting mods such as MCM, UIO, and u/oHUD. Some are not listed on the description page (last updated in 2014). Other mods have changed in the meantime. Please see the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article, which has specific mentions of PN in different places. (This takes some interpretation as applies to your situation. There are too many permutations for an "if A then B" type of guide. If you haven't encountered XML files before then the "TL;DR" section is not going to help by itself.)

As I recall, problems with MCM, DarnUI, and PN were the primary reason I wound up investigating and writing the wiki "HUD-UI-Menu issues" article.

-Dubious-

Strange, since I've been using Project Nevada for years, and have never once touched FOMM. And I never install anything manually unless it's an absolute requirement (Like with NVSE.) and exclusively use Vortex, after Nexus's personal manager was forcibly discontinued a while back.

I also did have UIO when the last problem occured, when it kept having those out of memory issues. It never gave me the hud error message before though, this is the first time it's ever given me any issue with PN.

I'm able to run the game now, with my lessened list, but I miss the features PN has, so I hope a solution can be found soon. Though the game is still far from stable, occasionally crashing when I try to load interiors, or try to kill certain enemies, or save the game. It's inconsistent, sometimes I re-launch and re-try saving or re-try entering an interior, and it works fine. Like, every action I do has a 5% chance of crashing the game. Or freezing it and locking itself on the screen so I can't tab out and task manager it closed, like New Vegas loves doing whenever the slightest thing goes wrong... But I'm figuring out ways to make it more tolerable, like tabbing out while it's loading the title screen, selecting New Vegas in my task manager, and tabbing back in, then any time it freezes, tab to the task manager and hit delete, to close the task, since that was the last thing it had selected. Ya know... Just New Vegas being New Vegas. Nothing new there, but the frequency is pretty frustrating.

Edited by megamack1